Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:37 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times

Advertisements

Has anybody gone? We want to go and want to hear about it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,509 times
I've been fishing in Cabo.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Yes we have gone, never again and here the reasons why: The Dangers of Traveling in Mexico - Detective Kevin Coffey

Old 10-18-2011, 12:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There is a Mexico forum, up the menu above these forums, after all the state forums.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
My wife and I attended our son's wedding at the Riviera Maya a year ago this month. There were about 70 of us who went down, and I think we all had a great time. We stayed at one of the Dreams resorts and couldn't have asked for more. Price was very reasonable, weather was perfect, accommodations were superb, beaches were clean and beautiful, food was excellent, and the staff was the best I've seen anywhere. (I've never seen so many friendly folks!)

I think most of the folks we were with took a few tours away from the resort, but my wife and I were sorta wearing two hats -- parents AND official photographers -- so we stuck around and rested on the day we were planning to do some touring. Those who went reported great fun, and from the pictures they brought back it looked like fun.

I'd been across the border into Mexico many times, but this was the first time at a resort. For the most part, I've always found Mexicans to be very friendly down there -- good folks. It's just a shame that the drug cartels have made it a scary place to be. We didn't worry about that at Riviera Maya last year, but I don't know what's happened in the past year either. The resort was gated with security personnel, so the only times we were "out" was during the brief limo (van) rides to and from the airport, but as of a year ago that whole area was still pretty safe -- probably safer than many cities in the U.S.!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Yes we have gone, never again and here the reasons why: The Dangers of Traveling in Mexico - Detective Kevin Coffey
lol... from a website called "Corporate Travel Safety" and ABC news.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:10 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
Mexico isnt any more dangerous than America. In fact, especially when you are in the resort areas, id say Mexico is safer than some of the American cities. I feel safer in Cancun then i do in Detroit any day.

Ive been to Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, and the Riviera Maya. Ive driven around the Yucatan quite a bit. Love the area. Love the food. Love the people. If you're interested in going, there are plenty of options, its a short flight, and you can get some pretty good deals.

I can assist if needed.

G Man

Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
i thought this thread was about a resort called desires, not mexico itself.

if its about the resort, i have no idea, never been and have no interest in going. it's in the safest part of mexico if that helps. safer than pretty much anywhere in the US or canada.

if its about mexico itself, being a mexican myself, i am extremely offended by this thread.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
I'm always offended when these threads of messages pop up about Mexico being dangerous. Its really about ignorance more than anything else.

G Man

Old 10-21-2011, 02:45 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i thought this thread was about a resort called desires, not mexico itself.
Not Mexico Itself! That is a significant and very relevant point, even if the poster didn't realize it. These self contained, walled in, secure, all inclusive resorts, weather in Mexico or Jamaica or Panama, are not representative of the country they are in. You could very well be in the next block over from your house, no difference.
This is both good and bad. Good for some in that you can safely be in a 3rd world country without stress or concern for safety, language, or (God forbid) actually mixing with the locals, bad in that you are not really exposed to the diverse and interesting culture of that country. I don't have any desire (no pun intended) to go to these type of resorts, in fact I loath them, but for others it's a safe vacation with the illusion of adventure and exoticness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel