Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 PM

217 posts, read 417,778 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information and feedback from anyone who has attended a Spanish immersion program. I am from and reside in the U.S.; however, I am very much interested in attending an immersion program in the Spanish Caribbean, Central or South America. Please let me know your thoughts.

I am really shooting for a program in Cuba (traveling via another country of course), but I am open to just about anywhere.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,959,670 times
Cuba sounds like it'd be EXTREMELY difficult to live there as an American. Visiting is kind of a hassle of its own, but to actually live there for a significant amount of time seems almost unreasonable. Your credit cards and debit cards won't work there, which means you'd have to carry cash if I'm not mistaken, and the amount of cash you'd have to bring is pretty ridiculous I'd say.

I could be very wrong, but that was always my impression.

I'm not really aware of any programs off the top of my head or what your budge is, but I bet there are many economical ways to go about getting spanish lessons living in a different country, and probably would be a lot cheaper than an american program

Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 AM

43,731 posts, read 44,495,603 times
I would look into programs in Ecuador although I don't know anything in particular.
Many years ago, my sister did a Spanish immersion program in Guatemala, but I don't know any of the details.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:01 AM

Also, if you want to stay in the US, you could actually try Miami..

Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,534,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Also, if you want to stay in the US, you could actually try Miami..
Might be cheaper to leave the US for this type of instruction.

My wife and I had daily instruction in Spanish in beautiful Ecuador. My instructor became a good friend, and he has since started his own company:

cielo verde spanish school otavalo ecuador

I cannot recommend this enough. PM me for details if you want them.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Be conscious of the dialect issues.

What is spoken in Mexico is very different from what is spoken in Spain
(or Argentina or Cuba etc)

hth

Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Be conscious of the dialect issues.

What is spoken in Mexico is very different from what is spoken in Spain
(or Argentina or Cuba etc)

hth

Which really doesn't matter. The only Spanish that is really useless in USA is the Spanish from Spain. Other than that it really doesn't matter which dialect you learn, you're going to understand everybody.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:23 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Which really doesn't matter.
Actually, it could very easily matter quite a lot.

Quote:
The only Spanish that is really useless in USA is the Spanish from Spain.
Oh? And why would that be?

Quote:
Other than that it really doesn't matter which dialect you learn, you're going to understand everybody.
Perhaps for you; and perhaps even for the OP as well.

They haven't returned to describe their reasons for learning Spanish.
So far they seem more focused on the location where the lessons might happen.

hth

Old 10-29-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Actually, it could very easily matter quite a lot.

Oh? And why would that be?

Perhaps for you; and perhaps even for the OP as well.

They haven't returned to describe their reasons for learning Spanish.
So far they seem more focused on the location where the lessons might happen.

hth
Seems like you picked apart my post...only to make no point at all?

Spanish from Spain is very uncommon in the USA, and rarely used, how often have you heard someone say vosotros in USA?

Dialect is not very important, because no matter what country you learn Spanish in, you can EASILY pick up on other dialects of Spanish and learn their words, hell you don't even have to put in effort. Unless the OP is a complete idiot, he should be just fine, and if he's capable of learning Spanish, I'm pretty sure he's capable of learning some different phrases from other countries.

I think if the OP was looking to learn a specific dialect he wouldn't be asking us where he should go. "Guys which country can I go to to learn Spanish, specifically Colombian Spanish?" . -- Maybe Brasil?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM

69 posts, read 178,447 times
CEPE - centro de estudios para extranjeros. It's part of the university of guadalajara in mexico. I did a semester in 2008. They place you with a family and you take spanish immersion classes at the Cepe building. if i remeber correctly, it cost about $1500 per 5-week period and that included tuition, room and 3 meals a day. I went with my girlfriend and we shared a room. I would totally do it again and can recommend it as a good value and good way to quickly improve your spanish.

I did this separate from my university's study abroad program, but i still transferred the credits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel