Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:15 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,626 times

Advertisements

I'm in a hotel, Red Roof Inn, I have to check out by 12pm. But I don't have to be at the airport until 6pm on that day. The hotel told me they can keep it in a room until I pick it up. It's 2 luggage and 1 laptop. Should I leave it with them during that time? If not, what else should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
6pm is a long time to 'leave' them in the room. Even with 'late' checkout its round 2p.
Most Hotels will 'hold' bags behind the front desk somewhere. All High end ones do, and most Medium end ones. Keep in mind its at your own risk. But I've Left bags in hotel front desk at medium level hotels, (or had them dropped off). With out any issues. Just remember to slip the front desk guy a few $'s when you drop them off, and pick them up.

I WOULD NOT LEAVE them in the room. The cleaning staff will think you 'left' them behind.
and you will never see your stuff again.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I've done this many times with luggage, however I never leave my laptop or electronics behind. Call me paranoid but I just won't do it. No one is going to find value in my used womens clothes but electronic devices....Generally my laptop, smartphone, etc. are in a messenger bag, so I keep that with me and leave behind any luggage I have.

Edited to add: I assumed we were talking about leaving luggage with the front desk. i can't imagine any hotel would let you leave bags in a room- they are looking to turn that room over and get the next guest in. Most hotels have a room off of the lobby used for bag holding.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I've done this many times with luggage, however I never leave my laptop or electronics behind. Call me paranoid but I just won't do it. No one is going to find value in my used womens clothes but electronic devices....Generally my laptop, smartphone, etc. are in a messenger bag, so I keep that with me and leave behind any luggage I have.

Edited to add: I assumed we were talking about leaving luggage with the front desk. i can't imagine any hotel would let you leave bags in a room- they are looking to turn that room over and get the next guest in. Most hotels have a room off of the lobby used for bag holding.
Used women's clothes are a pretty hot item within a certain deviant population. I think the hotel was referring to a storage room that is designated for that purpose, and would be perfectly safe, as long as you made sure your luggage was appropriately marked and you had a an itemized check for it from the staff.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
You could ask for a late check out. In many cases, they will be fine with 3-4 hours (unless the hotel is running at its capacity). The other option being, the airport itself. There may be a locker, or you could check in early (if the airport is close or well connected to wherever you would like to spend those 2-3 hours). And it looks like your hotel is fine keeping it for you, which (IMO) should be fine but there is always of chance.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Hotel will keep it safely, this is a standard operating process for Hotels and common, don't worry. Hotel should give you tags for the luggage.

Flyopa - I think you misunderstood OP. He will not leave in his check-out room, but in the hotels designated storage room.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Yeah, I do that all the time, although my laptop comes with me at all times.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 PM

886 posts, read 5,715,183 times
When I run into a problem like that I just go to the airport and check my bags and then go enjoy my day. Let the airlines keep track of them

Old 11-20-2011, 10:16 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
When I run into a problem like that I just go to the airport and check my bags and then go enjoy my day. Let the airlines keep track of them
I trust the hotels more than the airlines

Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Most Airlines will Not accept bags more then a few hours before your flight. (and it may go on a earler flight, and spend hours going around at your dest, (and maybe get moved to locked storage in the baggage office) and you many spend alot of time finding someone there late at night to get your bag out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel