Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 PM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

TSA: Traveling with Food or Gifts
Airline Travel With Food | Travel Tips - USAToday.com

But:

What Foods Can You Carry On The Plane? | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn
15 Homemade Meals You Can Carry on the Airplane Recipe Roundup | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Best is when you are past security, you can buy bananas,orange, bagels or some french fries from airport mcdonalds, or a vegetarian sandwich from subway. carrying home made food / curry not a good idea as you may be stopped by airport staff.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
As long as it isn't a liquid or gel, you can bring it on board. TSA doesn't care if it's a ham sandwich, a half pound tub of Caesar salad with the dressing already mixed onto the greens, a chocolate brownie, or a bag of trail mix.

PRODUCE of ANY TYPE may NOT be brought into Florida, California, or Hawaii, and the penalty for doing so is steep. So if you want to bring on that orange or banana and will finish it before the plane lands, go for it. But do not take it off the plane if you are going to one of those states--even on a layover.

And I strongly suggest that people don't carry on certain foods with pungent smells. Curry, garlic, onion, liverwurst, egg salad, fish including tuna, as well as fried foods like McDonalds are a good start for the no-no's. While not strictly forbidden, you'll find those around you will not be very pleasant, and it's rather rude.

And a note about condiments. If the sandwich or salad already has the condiment or dressing applied, it's OK. If it's still in a small packet/jar (under 3 ounces) and in your 3-1-1 bag, it's OK. If it's your full sized bottle of catsup or Ken's salad dressing, you'll be eating dry food--they won't allow those through security, even if there's only a bit left in the bottle.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Old thread, but in my experience, carrying a turkey sandwich made from Christmas dinner left-overs has never caused me any problems.

However, because my Norman-British middle name resembles a Middle Eastern name if you add one vowel and delete one consonant, I do get very thoroughly checked quite frequently whenever I take a flight that doesn't originate in my hometown airport (maybe they know me by now...).

But my turkey sandwich always gets through without comment or incident.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And I strongly suggest that people don't carry on certain foods with pungent smells. Curry, garlic, onion, liverwurst, egg salad, fish including tuna, as well as fried foods like McDonalds are a good start for the no-no's. While not strictly forbidden, you'll find those around you will not be very pleasant, and it's rather rude.
I have taken small tuna (with light mayo mixed in) sandwiches that I have made at home and there hasn't been a problem of any strong smell.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
kill 2 birds with one stone...

Popeye's Emotional Support Chicken...
https://thedieline.com/blog/2018/12/...upport-chicken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel