Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,609 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are having our 4th and final trip to America next year in April.

We have work commitments in LA and Las Vegas for the first few weeks and then we have a few weeks to travel somewhere else...

We don't know where to go so I'm hoping someone, anyone can give us a clue.

We went to South Dakota this year and had a BLAST, so much to see and do - we were so happy with that trip.

We are kinda thinking about New York, but we have been there before so we're hoping to think of something more original.

We don't mind if it's touristy - we just want to go to a place that has lots of things to do and see.

So, have you taken a great vacation in the USA and had a great time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 03:59 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Considering that you'll be in the neighborhood anyway--Monterrey CA.

Absolutely gorgeous area, nice town, and the Monterrey Aquarium on Monterrey Bay is supremely entertaining. You can literally spend days there. Possibly the finest museum/aquarium/natural area in the world. Really first rate. Monterey Bay Aquarium

I lived in California nearly 20 years and it wasn't till I went back to visit from out of state that I made the random decision to go to Monterrey and the Aquarium. I have traveled some countries of the world since then, and I still rate Monterrey and its' aquarium as one of my most favorite-ist places I have ever been.

No, it is seriously worth the trip. The central California coast is one of the world's most beautiful places. The food is supreme. The climate is perfect. The scenery is glorious. The plants are unique. The Aquarium is amazing. And.the.otters!! Oh my god the otters! Otters in motion, otters in Monterrey Bay, otters on parade. Since then I have been lifelong otterized.

Also do not miss the entire jellyfish building annex. there is just nothing in this world like it. Mesmerising.

You'll love it. Go there.
Attached Thumbnails
A fun, unique place in the USA?-jellyfish.jpeg   A fun, unique place in the USA?-otter.jpeg  

Old 12-19-2011, 04:06 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Instead of returning to New York City, I'd recommend going somewhere new. If you like big cities, something like Chicago could be a cool choice, and would get you into the Midwest. There are always things to do in Chicago.

You could also check out the capital, Washington DC, or you could catch some sun down in Miami.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:50 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
If you're able, check out New Orleans, LA; Williamsburg, VA; San Francisco, CA; and/or Santa Fe, NM.

They're all unique places.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
If you had a blast touring South Dakota, I think you would also like New Mexico. I spent 7 days driving around. The next time I go I will probably plan 10 to 14 days.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
azoria gave a great recommendation for the California coast!

The desert southwest is awesome, but avoid Vegas. Check out Santa Fe, Taos, Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Monument Valley, Bryce NP, Zion NP, Canyonlands NP, Lake Powell, etc...

Another option which would be experiencing it's prettiest season due to the spring weather and blossoming flowers is the South Carolina lowcountry and Georgia coast. Charleston and Savannah anchor the region but there are plenty of other places to check out down there as well. By April the ocean there is usually warm enough for at least a quick dip.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:23 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Since you said you don't mind touristy:

New Orleans
Key West

Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
in order of preference from your potential area,,, (and based on your enjoyment of SD (Black Hills / Badlands I presume))

Basically I would do a driving loop or one way, north from LV into Utah (southern National Parks, and possibly Mesa Verde (SW CO), across to Nev) through Death Valley or Lake Tahoe, hit Yosemite, Sequioa NP, then west to Monterrey / Carmel, and up (via light house hostels) to San Francisco (a very fun city with lots of FREE stuff.) Ft Mason Youth Hostel is GREAT place to stay (on / near wharf, free parking, great walking). Do the free Library sponsored tours throughout the city.

Walk across GoldenGate Bridge and take very cheap ferry back to the city in evening

15 min west of LV Red Rock Canyon Interpretive Association
45 min north of LV (Great site, & camping)
Nevada Division of State Parks - Valley of Fire State Park https://www.google.com/search?q=vall...w=1260&bih=739

Utah National Parks | Utah.com (I would NOT miss these)
https://www.google.com/search?q=vall...w=1260&bih=739

Grand Canyon (I would be tempted to take a scenic flight from LV to save time and add content)

San Diego old town is nice (Zoo and beach too)

Hearst Castle (is pretty unique, but difficult to get to (long ways off your trail, UNLESS you drive LA to SF, which is nice too)

One of my favorite cities to enjoy is Washington DC, Again lots of free, educational, and fun. I like to do side trips to Gettysburg, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Ocean City, Annapolis, Williamsburg, Blue Ridge Parkway, Harpers Ferry / Shepherdstown. ...

Old 12-19-2011, 04:08 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Such a HUGE topic, with lots of possible answers.

But if you're going to be in the SW anyway, I'm going to echo the suggestion of New Mexico.

Chaco Canyon is one of the most fascinating, amazing, interesting, wonderful, historic - and endangered - places in America.

Carlsbad Caverns is impressive and fun - and touristy!

Then bop over the border to the Big Bend region of Texas and have some rowdy good times with the outlaws of Terlingua. There are also some really good hot springs in that area . . . but I won't tell you where they are!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,609 times
Thanks to all of you, I've been lucky enough to see some of those things already - Red Rock Canyon, Grand Canyon - etc.

The reason we loved SD so much was Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, the animals - deer, buffalo, prarie dogs, squirrels etc, the caves, the wax museum, evans plunge, the dinosaurs, badlands, the reptile park, Laura Ingalls homestead... etc we also drove to Wyoming and saw Devils Tower.

We were busy, busy, busy we did an average of 3 things every day and explored the heck out of the place.

We need not just one destination - but a destination that we can really sink our teeth into, this is why we originally thought of New York, we were only there 4 days before and it was bitterly cold.

In New York we went to the Seinfeld diner, David Letterman, Empire State and my husband took a chopper tour of the Statue of Liberty (actually not sure if he saw it, I didn't go). We were there for New Years 2008, and we were absolutely shocked by the cold and shocked by the long lines (hours long) everywhere.

If we went again, in April it wouldn't be so cold - and we would probably do a boating tour of Statue of Liberty, Visit Strawberry Fields and generally tour central park (it was way too cold last time) and goodness knows what else.

We like to be super busy and to have a jam packed schedule - with something exciting everyday or several times a day.

Is New Mexico, or New Orleans like this?

We did acutally consider New Orleans also but our knowledge of the place is nil, we don't really hear much about it in OZ and we don't know a single person who has been there.

We were really lucky to stumble onto the gem of SD - we went because I really wanted to see Mt Rushmore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel