Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Red Tape - That'll be $2,000 extra for your aisle seat, Mr. Nader
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
No mystery here. The only seats left were preferred seats. You have to pay to play.

Let me put the shoe on the other foot - myself as a frequent flyer pay alot of money to Delta, essentially we are the 1% that keep them in business by buying business class fares and getting butt time sitting in there metal tubes week after week. We get a bit of comfort by getting priority seating - upgrades to first, or at least priority seating - first row of coach, exit rows, windows and aisles. First few rows are always blocked, and now the airlines are configuring some of these first few coach rows with expanded leg room and recline, and free drinks - that makes them midway to a first class seat experience. I am a platimum medallion million miler. You're damn right - Delta treats me like a king. Imagine the outcry if Delta was giving my bulkhead aisle seat to Joe Blow the tourist traveler who travels once a year? Trust me, we frequent flyers would raise hell. Already the complaints are in from the elite flyers - Delta and other airlines are monetizing these benifits. Selling out our benefits, hence the $2,000 seat. If it was up to me Nader would not have the choice of pre-booking these seats at any cost.

What's unfair to you, or Ralph Nader, is very fair to me.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Traveling by air can be a nightmare of fees, different ticket prices and excuses. It's a wonder anybody does it at all.

For instance, when I flew down to Haiti as a member of a Southern Baptist disaster team, one guy and I were late add-ons to the mission. The Oklahoma Baptist's paid for the tickets. Having bought the other ones in advance, they were something like $1000 round trip (I think that's right). But, for the other guy and I, they were $2700! On the same plane! For the same flights! To the same destination! Worse none of the 3 flights we took were full and I got upgraded to first class from Ft. Lauderdale to Port au Prince and all the way back to Oklahoma City.

There's really no excuse for such a ridiculous difference in fares. It costs x-number of dollars per mile to operate an aircraft, so the pricing could be as simple as that much times the miles involved.

Here's another example: I can fly from DFW to Atlanta for as little as $300, if I book in advance. Yet, even booking in advance, I can't fly to Knoxville, TN, which is roughly the same distance, for less than $1000 one way.

In the end, air fare pricing has nothing to do with cost + profit, and everything to do with taking all the traffic will bear. So long as we're willing to pay it, they'll be willing to charge it.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
In the end, air fare pricing has nothing to do with cost + profit, and everything to do with taking all the traffic will bear. So long as we're willing to pay it, they'll be willing to charge it.
Duh!!!! isnl;t that the whole idea of a american businesses????

truthfully, no airline can stay in business if they charge a flAT fee for a ticket unless all the other ailines and travel services do the same. Imagine if it cost only $350 a ticket from Point A to Point B. Airline 1 charges only $350 regardless of when you buy, Airline 2 uses the current system. Which airline will survive and which will go bankrupt? Airline 1 will go bankrupt because they will be advertising fares of $350 while Airline 2 can advertise fares of only $99. true those $99 fares are limited with major restrictions but in the marketing game, they will win.

People could care less what it cost for a seat, all they care about is getting a cheaper price than they see. Now, throw in Airline 3 who advertises $349.99 tickets if purchased 3 days in advance otherwise its $351.00 a ticket, that $.01 savings will have people running to them instead of Airline #1. So Airline 1 will be the biggest loser over $.01 a ticket. Americans buy on price and price only, so the airlines need to develope a fare structure that allows them to take it down to the lowest possible advertsing price to get the customers.
(FYI, many airlines did try it and it was flop because americans don;t shop that way, cheap is always better)

Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
I don't care, because I love window seats. Like the view. Who wouldn't? People who can't hold their bladders for a three or four hour flight?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
People who can't hold their bladders for a three or four hour flight?
Depends...

Old 02-08-2012, 03:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Nader always brags how cheap he is when he is on his speaking engagements.

If he flew Southwest, the fare would be $708 and he could choose his seat.

Even though I am based in Chicago, I have flown American once in the past 12 years.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:12 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Traveling by air can be a nightmare of fees, different ticket prices and excuses. It's a wonder anybody does it at all.

For instance, when I flew down to Haiti as a member of a Southern Baptist disaster team, one guy and I were late add-ons to the mission. The Oklahoma Baptist's paid for the tickets. Having bought the other ones in advance, they were something like $1000 round trip (I think that's right). But, for the other guy and I, they were $2700! On the same plane! For the same flights! To the same destination! Worse none of the 3 flights we took were full and I got upgraded to first class from Ft. Lauderdale to Port au Prince and all the way back to Oklahoma City.

There's really no excuse for such a ridiculous difference in fares. It costs x-number of dollars per mile to operate an aircraft, so the pricing could be as simple as that much times the miles involved.

Here's another example: I can fly from DFW to Atlanta for as little as $300, if I book in advance. Yet, even booking in advance, I can't fly to Knoxville, TN, which is roughly the same distance, for less than $1000 one way.

Is this a joke? That's how capitalism works. Airlines aren't out to break even; they're out to make a profit.

If a certain route is more in demand, then they can charge a higher price for it; the fact that there may be another shorter route that they have to charge less for since its in less demand is totally irrelevant.

And of course it costs more to book at the last minute. It's for the simple reason that people book at the last minute probably have some important reason to be traveling that they can't get out of, therefore they are willing to pay a higher price.

Generally flying hub to hub will be cheaper than flying from small city to small city (or hub to small city in many cases).

Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Generally flying hub to hub will be cheaper than flying from small city to small city (or hub to small city in many cases).

Unless you're flying to/from MSP

Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Is this a joke? That's how capitalism works. Airlines aren't out to break even; they're out to make a profit.

If a certain route is more in demand, then they can charge a higher price for it; the fact that there may be another shorter route that they have to charge less for since its in less demand is totally irrelevant.

And of course it costs more to book at the last minute. It's for the simple reason that people book at the last minute probably have some important reason to be traveling that they can't get out of, therefore they are willing to pay a higher price.

Of course businesses have to make a profit. However, there is such a thing as raping their customers to make MORE profit and that's not alright with me.

I don't mind paying for the service they provide, and I want them to be profitable, but I won't be willingly robbed. Nor, will I justify the robbery. You may do as you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel