Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 05:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times

Advertisements

Personally, I have no interest in museums at all. I'd much rather be out in the street observing today's culture. "Being there" at historic places gives me no sense of presence. Custer's battlefield is just a pasture, and L'anse aux Meadows not much more, and Auschwits is an old building. If you get any more from them, I admire you for your imagination, which I don't possess.

Collection museums are just that, collections of old things, but I get that there are old things, but I don't need see them. Might be nice to handle them, but they don't let me. I'd love to hold and heft an 1880 baseball, but I don't want to look at one. But I did make an effort to see the house where Stan Musial grew up, and that was cool. And I threw a phone book on the porch of Amelia Earhart's house.

Art museums are OK, you can see features in originals you can't see in book plates.

So what attracts you to museums, and how many do you put on your agenda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 08:02 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I have a short attention span for museums, and not much interest in art. I don't intentionally put museums on my itinerary, but if there's an interesting small museum available I might take a look at it. For example, the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, or the American Writers Museum in Chicago.

Because I'm not interested in spending a lot of time in a museum, I probably won't go to one if the price of admission is steep. Free museums are great, because I don't feel I have to stay there long enough to get my money's worth. Last January I was in London, and it was cold, and I saw that the Natural History Museum was free (donations accepted), so I spent a few interesting hours there.

Sometimes the best thing about a museum is its restaurant/coffee shop.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:07 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Very. That said, I tend to build my itinerary around food, so unless I find a good food spot (based on reviews, etc.) near a particular tourist attraction such as a museum, I don't see myself going out of the way to spend time at a museum, etc.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:17 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Personally, I have no interest in museums at all. I'd much rather be out in the street observing today's culture. "Being there" at historic places gives me no sense of presence. Custer's battlefield is just a pasture, and L'anse aux Meadows not much more, and Auschwits is an old building. If you get any more from them, I admire you for your imagination, which I don't possess.

Collection museums are just that, collections of old things, but I get that there are old things, but I don't need see them. Might be nice to handle them, but they don't let me. I'd love to hold and heft an 1880 baseball, but I don't want to look at one. But I did make an effort to see the house where Stan Musial grew up, and that was cool. And I threw a phone book on the porch of Amelia Earhart's house.

Art museums are OK, you can see features in originals you can't see in book plates.

So what attracts you to museums, and how many do you put on your agenda?
I do love museums, but I want balance. A museum here and there is great, but I too want to walk around a place and catch the current vibe.

I like history, and I do have an imagination, so I would stand there at Custer's battlefield and try to picture what it must have been like on that day. Never have been, but Gettysburg, and other lesser-known battlefields have interested me. I live about 20 minutes from where the Battle of Monmouth took place. There's a reenactment every year, but I've never been able to catch it.

It also depends upon what we are interested in. I wouldn't get excited over a sports museum, but I spent four hours in the now-closed National Museum of Crime and Punishment.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Museums and historical sites are very different things to me. Stonehenge - yes! The Parthenon - yes! Any kind of historical architecture - cathedrals, larger than life monuments...yes! But no, I don't want to see a pasture of some battle - maybe because I have no interest in military stuff.

From the same perspective I do like museums because they usually have great architecture but I pick ones with "things" I'm interested in - some may be having an exhibit from an artist that's not often seen (Frieda Kahlo when I was in London).

Or it may not even be "historical" - I don't know why people think all museums are old and musty things. Some are science-oriented or modern art, some are even modern musical artists - I saw a fantastic exhibit a few years ago in Chicago about David Bowie! What about the Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Some folks have very narrow definitions about museums and maybe pride themselves on being people that want to "live among the living"?

I do like museum cafes...and if the weather turns bad, they can be a great refuge rather than spending the day stuck in your hotel.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:28 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
11.4%

Some are good, Some are Bad. Depends on the trip.

Story:

My son and I were driving thru Wisconsin after a week on a lake in Minnesota, No real hurry to get to MSP as we had a late flight ~8p (Also wanted my 13yo Son to see Non/Interstate parts of the US). We stopped in a small town for ice cream, and the town library and museum were across the street. We had time to kill, so we went over. The Museum was closed, but the librarian on duty open it for us. Was a nice little museum with some nicely made displays about the history of the town, and some of it people who became "Famous". We were about to go when a car came screeching into the parking-lot. The woman who ran the museum has been called in by the Librarian. (We were probably the 1st ones to visit it in months?) , We were stuck, But she was nice and gave us a personal tour for next 20 mins.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:44 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I prefer to go to museums that have physical objects rather just paintings (or just art). But I prefer to do short museums visits and then do something else with the rest of my day.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:26 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Depends.

We loved the museums in Italy with the great iconic sculptures but even those got tiring after awhile. I guess I'm only good for a couple hours then feel inundated.

I discovered I much prefer 3-D statues to paintings. I was so satiated by the Uffizi Museum in Florence, I thought I'd drop (and almost nowhere to sit). But I sat starting at the statue of David for an hour.

But I like car museums, science museums....I guess most of them except for modern art.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:29 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
It depends ...art not so much ...dinosaurs and stuff like the spy museum , military museum ,etc , I love

Here in nyc we have all kinds of museums ...I even went to the sex museum

Old 02-07-2021, 09:29 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Thumbs up A good museum can rescue a vacation day disrupted by poor weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I do like museum cafes...and if the weather turns bad, they can be a great refuge rather than spending the day stuck in your hotel.
I generally have a couple museums on the itinerary, sometimes just as backup plans for rainy days. How important they are greatly depends on the quality of the museum and how crowded they are going to be.

I have made exceptions for certain art and military museums, for example I took an overnight trip out of Amsterdam to The Hague mostly to visit Escher in Het Paleis, in London I set aside a morning for the Churchill War Rooms. Neither had a particularly notable café.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Very. That said, I tend to build my itinerary around food, so unless I find a good food spot (based on reviews, etc.) near a particular tourist attraction such as a museum, I don't see myself going out of the way to spend time at a museum, etc.
One reason I like visiting historical breweries and distilleries, you get a dose of history with your alcohol. Just about every trip I take includes at least one notable beverage manufacturer, sometimes it is the whole reason for the trip --
Just before COVID I built an entire trip to Ireland around spending a day at the 1825 distillery in Cork. I hope to do something similar for Scotch whisky once normal travel resumes.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 02-07-2021 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel