Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times

Advertisements

St George Island florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,411 times
Islamorada, Florida. I would also suggest Checca Lodge, though there are other places. Hubby and I went there in 2010 and cannot wait to go back. Very quiet,laid back, great food and lots to do locally. I would highly recommend this place!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Have you checked out the Outer Banks, NC? Not all locations will be in walking distant to a town and it isn't exactly off the beaten path but they have great beaches, it's pretty quiet and laid back (but there's still lots of things to do if you want to), small towns, lots of houses or cottages to rent, most within walking distance to the beach.

The Outer Banks - North Carolina Vacations - Family Beach Vacation Rentals - The Outer Banks - North Carolina
It depends where in the Outer Banks that fits the OP's criteria.

The area around Nags Head / Kitty Hawk / Kill Devil Hills has a lot more hotels and more of a nightlife scene (not huge, no, but it is there).

My recommendation to the OP would be up in the northern Outer Banks in Duck, which seems to be up your alley:

- Houses only (except for the one hotel - The Sanderling).
- No public beach access (i.e., no parking lots for the beach - the only people on the beach are the ones staying in houses in Duck who walk down to the sand).
- There is a bike path that runs along the side of the one main (2-lane) road in Duck and it is more of a walking / biking area with people walking to the various little stores and shops there, and walking to and from the beach.
- While there are several restaurants with bars that are open later in the evenings, like Aqua or Sunset Grille (at the latter, go for the view, avoid the food), it is not a loud, nightlife/party scene.
- All of the houses only rent to what they call "family units" - which really has nothing to do with marital status or the makeup of the adults (and/or kids) in a rental house, it is just their clause to avoid renting houses to groups of college kids coming down to party

If you want off-the-beaten-path, there is also Ocracoke Island. A small village that can get a a fair number of day tourists, but most are there to walk around the little village, so the beaches are not crowded (heck, you can find whole stretches of beach all to yourself) and then clear out by dinner time. You will have to drive / bike / take a golf cart for several minutes to get out of the village to the beaches, but they are beautiful - some magazine put them in their top-10 beaches a year or two back, and there was a reason for it.

My best friend took me to the Outer Banks in 1990 when we were 19 - I've been back almost every Summer since. We used to stay in KDH, but once we went up to Duck several years ago, we keep returning there. One of my favorite spots in the country.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 PM

128 posts, read 179,612 times
Seaside Village, FL might fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel