Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 03:16 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times

Advertisements

My friend found this among her grandfather's photo albums. He was stationed in France during WWI. She believes it was taken somewhere in Europe but there are other photos from the same album that were labeled places in the US.

If you might have an idea, please let me know. She would really love to be able to label this for her family.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
It looks a lot like this bridge. According to the website (the tags, anyway), the bridge is in or near a village called Vence, but it's hard to fine anything else on it. After looking a little more, it might be the Viaduc de Saint-Paul (link to another photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/18911612@N08/5945368760/ - broken link)). One more sort of confirming that it's near Vence (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbyzny/6212730999/ - broken link).

Seeing as her Grandfather was stationed in France, it would certainly make sense. Also, there are 6 arches on the bridge in your photo and 6 on the full photo of the bridge that I linked to. The ornamentation under the railing is very similar as well. There are a few things from leading me to 100% certain though.

1) The light posts on the other photos aren't visible in your photo. That's not a deal breaker as they could either be down when he took the photo OR they may just be blending into the background (it's hard to tell).

2) The picture I linked to (the older one) has a vertical feature on two of the columns (you can see it to the left and right of the bridge) that isn't on the picture you posted. It could be that the angle of the photo is from the opposite side and therefore not visible from the photo you posted. I think this is the case seeing as your photo has a mountain rising in the back and the aged photo I linked to doesn't. The other two photos don't show that feature.

3) The aged photo I linked to has what appears to be wooden posts sticking out of the arches. Neither your photo (not the other two) appear to have the same feature. I'm assuming it was wood and is no longer there.

Anyway, I'm still fairly certain that the bridges I posted are the same. It all seems to make sense.

Last edited by lrfox; 03-29-2012 at 05:18 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 06:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
lrfox - you are absolutely correct based on the consensus from FB friends of friends who came up with a couple different photos of le pont du Diable à Eze.

Panoramio - Photo of France, le pont du Diable à Eze près de Nice

It seems like everyone had a good time googling to find this bridge for my friend & her grandmother's archive. I will pass along your link as well to her. Thanks!

ETA: according to the central zone time stamps, you came up with the correct photo first!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Wow- excellent detective work there!

One thing that comes to mind is that I wasn't aware of any conflicts down in that part of France during WW1.

I presume it was a sort of vacation that took him down there.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I don't think troops were doing vacations much over there. As I understood it, the south part of France was the Vichy government, which was a puppet govt of the German. Not sure about details. I'm sure they had troops all over France during the liberation.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I don't think troops were doing vacations much over there. As I understood it, the south part of France was the Vichy government, which was a puppet govt of the German. Not sure about details. I'm sure they had troops all over France during the liberation.
That was WWII, not WWI.

I immediately recognized the bridge when I saw the image. Eze is a beautiful place. Here's a modern Street View of the same spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel