Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

I've been there half a dozen times, always for work or professional development conferences, never by choice. I've been there, done that, and see no compelling reason to return other than maybe to see LOVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 06:34 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
just arrived in vegas a couple nights ago. i lived in vegas for a few years when i was a teenager and my immediate family still lives here. spend 6-10 weeks per year here on average. wouldn't want to live here full time, but there are things i like about the city.

1. great dining options.
2. best value hotels in the world

take the night i arrived. was arriving too late to get picked up by friends at the airport, so bid $40 for a 4 star strip hotel. got planet hollywood. when i was checking in was able to get upgraded to the 1400sq foot boulevard suite for free. i basically live in hotels and consider myself an expert at milking free upgrades out of front desk ppl, but there is no way i can get anything close to that anywhere else in the world.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 AM

24 posts, read 38,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
j

take the night i arrived. was arriving too late to get picked up by friends at the airport, so bid $40 for a 4 star strip hotel. got planet hollywood. when i was checking in was able to get upgraded to the 1400sq foot boulevard suite for free. i basically live in hotels and consider myself an expert at milking free upgrades out of front desk ppl, but there is no way i can get anything close to that anywhere else in the world.
What's your secret??

Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
A very long time ago, like BM (before marriage), I used to leave straight from work on Friday evening, and come back on Sunday night, each and every week ... (private plane)

Then she got married ...

Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
I enjoy the 'other' close-by scenery, Valley of Fire and Red Rock Park.

LV happens fairly frequently as it is often on the way to somewhere, or on the way home...

Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,468,275 times
I've lived in California for 10 years, including 4 in SoCal, and have still never been to Las Vegas -- except once on the train, passing through (before Amtrak discontinued that line) and once at the airport changing planes.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMelbourne View Post
What's your secret??
no secret, was arriving after midnight on a weekday. just have to ask.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 PM

216 posts, read 449,268 times
Here's what I take from Vegas:
My first time: Awesome!!! blur it was...
2nd time: saw everything I didn't see the first time.

Ended up living there for 6 months.
now I hate the town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think Las Vegas is a place every adult should visit at least once their lifetime. There's nothing else like it.

I think that, if living in the LA area, I would probably go once every 3 years. From anywhere else in North America, maybe once every 5 to 7 years. From anywhere else in the world, once is enough.

The question is, if you have been there, how often would you go, relative to the effort you would have to make to go there?

Bonus question for those who know the LA-LV trek: One Memorial Day within the last few years, I had to drive from LV to LA to catch my flight. Upon the thinning out of Nevada towns south of LV (Jean, Searchlight), the 2 lane each way freeway was crawling at about 15 to 25 mph for most of the way back. At Victorville, I had no choice but to get off and cross the high desert to LA on back roads with highway speeds and barely made my flight. Is this normal? Will I-15 ever be widened to 3 lanes in each direction?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
Ended up living there for 6 months.
now I hate the town.
I think living in LV could be traumatic for a lot of people. You know how many Californians moved there to boomerang, or go somewhere else? Most, it seems. It all depended on timing, whether they timed their exit ok or are upside down, that is if they bought. You almost knew that unbridled boom had to end. The other thing is that people will always tell you "this is a transient town." If people say that about a city or metro area, it's an early warning that many people do not like living there.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 PM

216 posts, read 449,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromMelbourne View Post
What's your secret??
You just have to ask. It helps if you're a semi-regular, or if you're already spending a bit of cash. The $20 trick might work, but it's somewhat of a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel