Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,899 times

Advertisements

American Airlines just made the announcement starting on June 15, 2008 there will be a $15 charge for the first checked in luggage, never mind $25 for the second one already in place.
American to charge for 1st checked bag, cut flights - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 14,666 times
Default yep

don't forget that the also increased all there fees:

Domestic Change Fee*
$150 – Check Fare Rules Display

International Change Fee*
$150 - $300 – Varies by market and fare

Ticketing Fees

Res Service Fee
$20

External Res Handling Fee – Itinerary Change
$20

Airport Service Fee
$30

Travel Center Fee
$30 – per PNR

AAdvantage Fees

AAdvantage Change Fee
$150

Res AAdvantage Service Fee
$20

AAdvantage Reinstatement Fee
$150

Baggage/Pet Fees

Oversize Bag Fee
$150

Checked Pet Fee
$150

Pet in Cabin Fee
$100

Other Value Added Service Fees

Unaccompanied Minor
$100

Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
The sad thing is, the airlines are having to do this to cover the rising cost of fuel. But first off, they don't add it to the ticket price, which would be logical, right? No, they add fees so that the ticket price comparisons between airlines are "comparable". It used to be when you saw a ticket that said $248, the total price wasn't much more than that. Now, by the time you add up all the fees, the original price has gone up 25% or more. Secondly, when are all these fees going to end??? If fuel prices ever stabilize, you bet we'll still be stuck with all these absurd fees. Come to think of it, the whole airline pricing structure is just plane wrong (pun intended).

Anyway, my second point was going to be - how are they going to collect this fee? Do we have to pay at the counter when we check our bag? How terribly inconvenient!!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:42 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
why don't they raise the ticket prices to whatever they need to be to cover their costs, and be done with it? those who can't afford to fly will use some other method of transportation or forego non-essential travel. all this nickel-and-diming is just making passengers resentful and hostile, and is sure to increase already high stress levels at airports.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM

8 posts, read 14,666 times
Default Fees

They will collect fees when you checkin at the curb or kisok with your bag. They do it as fees because it is not taxed like there air fare is they make more money on fees than on airfares

David

Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM

605 posts, read 2,381,081 times
Oh great - the huge bags that people attempted to wedge into overhead bins as carry on were bad enough before - now it'll get ridiculous. When are they going to start policing that properly?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 PM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
The problem is the extreme price competitiveness in the industry, as there are too many seats in the American market currently. The only thing the airlines have to entice customers is price. They have to look competitive on initial price, since that's what people go after, and they need all the business they can get. Saying "it's 150 bucks more but there will be no fees" often just won't cut it. it would be one thing if the market was at an equilibrium, but the surplus of seats combined with the high input costs make it so keeping the price at rock bottom is they only way butts will get in seats. It's not that the airlines exactly enjoy this either.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
so, if i'm taking a long trip, i can check one bag with as much as i can stuff into it, exceed the weight limit by 3 pounds, and pay $15+$50. alternatively, i can check two bags of the same size, fill each just under the weight limit, and pay $15+$25. where is my incentive to check only one bag so AA can use less fuel?

Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,874 times
I am flying with AA next week and I am kinda apprehensive. I don't know what hidden fees to expect. I know the snack will no longer be complimentary and the charge for the extra bag... I plan to pack very lightly. Heck will they start charging for carry ons too in the future? I bet there will be some extra charge awaiting me somehow on this trip.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default AA is watching you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkinswife View Post
I am flying with AA next week and I am kinda apprehensive. I don't know what hidden fees to expect. I know the snack will no longer be complimentary and the charge for the extra bag... I plan to pack very lightly. Heck will they start charging for carry ons too in the future? I bet there will be some extra charge awaiting me somehow on this trip.
There is a $15 posting about your trip on a message board fee. That will be due in full when you check in at the ticket counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel