Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you make it a point to see / experience on your first trip to a given destination?
Famous tourist sights (e.g. Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building) 5 38.46%
Famous museums (e.g. Louvre, Prado, Museum of American History) 0 0%
Specialty museums (e.g. Cereal City USA, Computer History Museum) 0 0%
Sports games and stadiums 0 0%
Famous historical ruins (e.g. Stonehenge, Pompeii) 0 0%
Lesser-known historical ruins / sights 0 0%
Rural villages 1 7.69%
Urban neighborhoods 3 23.08%
Famous local foods (e.g. crepes in Paris, Chicken 65 in Hyderabad) 1 7.69%
Upscale restaurants 0 0%
Ethnic foods not from the place (e.g. Indian food in London, Chinese food in Vancouver) 0 0%
Trendy clubs and nightlife (e.g. Pacha in Ibiza, Cielo in NYC) 0 0%
Alternative or non-"hip" nightlife (e.g. sports bars in Green Bay, jazz clubs in Chicago, etc.) 0 0%
Famous natural attractions 1 7.69%
Spots of geographic or geocultural importance or curiosity 0 0%
As many geographic units as possible (e.g. standing in all 5 boroughs of NYC) 0 0%
Local transit (e.g. riding different subway trains in New York) 0 0%
Local railroads and rail stock 0 0%
Local suburban neighborhoods 1 7.69%
Local industrial facilties 0 0%
Local radio and TV 1 7.69%
Local utility facilities (e.g. power plants, waste dumps, etc.) 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,144,954 times

Advertisements

What do you make it a point to see or experience on your first trip to a destination?

EDIT: Crap! The poll was supposed to be multiple-choice.

Last edited by tvdxer; 11-17-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
not enough choices.

I FIRST purpose to immerse myself in local culture.

Stay with local people, go to their events, help them around the house or farm.

This poll seems to be more Tourist / USA Traveler centric, Most of the world doesn't 'holiday' (or do much of anything else) like the USA. Something along the lines of "enjoy the journey" (where ever it may lead); rather than pursue a destination and grab as much of it as quickly as possible and MOVE ON to conquer something else.

YMMV

Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,012,486 times
I rarely make plans ahead of time. Thus I never really know what I am going to do until get there. I will check out aviation and history museums. I usually do not take tours of famous landmarks as they only allow me to see what they want me to see. I love stopping at city and country parks and having a picnic lunch. I do not eat out at fancy restaurants. Instead I find out where the locals like to eat. Some of the best meals I have ever had were at some really dumpy looking places.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,498,030 times
My travel is motivated by photography, history, and food. So I tend to visit famous sights (both artificial and natural), museums, historical sites (both famous and lesser-known -- wherever I go, I try to read up on the local history beforehand), and eat lots of different types of food (local and imported cuisine, almost never at upscale/trendy places). I tend to spend more time at a few sites rather than spend a little time on lots of places -- this is mainly driven by my photography. For instance, I visited Prague Castle three times over two days, trying to capture it in different lights. I spend a lot of time looking at small details and new angles for photography. In most places, I end up not seeing many sites (that are either famous and/or that I wanted to see) -- that just makes a second (and third!) visit all the more interesting! I mostly take public transportation and walk, so get to explore many neighborhoods, both urban and rural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This poll seems to be more Tourist / USA Traveler centric, Most of the world doesn't 'holiday' (or do much of anything else) like the USA. Something along the lines of "enjoy the journey" (where ever it may lead); rather than pursue a destination and grab as much of it as quickly as possible and MOVE ON to conquer something else.
Are you saying that US travelers mostly grab as much to check them of a list and move on? If so, I disagree. Many (don't know about "most") US travelers I've met in Europe and Asia do tend to explore a lot of out-of-the-way places. Asian travelers (east and south/southeast) tend to be the most checklist-driven travelers that I've encountered (at least in the Americas + Europe). Take a few pictures at a famous landmark and move on to the next.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
"Species of birds that I've never seen before". The quest for which brings me to almost all of the choices in the poll.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,552,387 times
I can reply to the poll if it's redone to make multiple choices. No way can I pick just one.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,328,321 times
I always travel with a 2" binder of what I plan to do on a trip - accommodations, restaurants, attractions and the like. It is NOT that I am BOUND to doing those things. However, I would be disappointed if I did not see the major attractions or missed anything great,

Planning the vacation is at least half the fun.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,105,797 times
We usually have about half of our time planned and the other half free form.

We travel to see cultural events, the art of the masters, the local cuisine, visit with friends, take in history (including ruins and museums), a little shopping, a little site-seeing.

We try for some unique experiences on every trip. On our most recent trip we enjoyed an after hours tour of the Vatican Museum with the curator of the Sistine Chapel (I can't even begin to describe how awesome that experience was!!), had an amazing dinner with the owner of a winery in Istria, and took the public bus around the island of Santorini, getting off here and there when something looked interesting along the way. We shopped for Murano glass in Venice, wandered with no place in particular to be and then ate lunch in a cafe in a very residential neighborhood in Rome, and marveled at the ancient dust on our shoes after visiting the Parthenon in Athens.

We tend to eat in many ways--lunch might be some items from a local grocery store made into an ad hoc meal while dinner that same day might be at a Michelin three-starred restaurant. We like to wander into residential neighborhoods and find the cafes where the locals are having a meal. We don't ask the concierge, we instead ask the bellboy for suggestions.

We typically don't take "tours" although we will hire a local guide in places like Pompeii or the Roman Forum where a guide with thorough knowledge of the site will offer commentary on not only what you are looking at, but also what it's importance is--and point out very interesting but often obscure details.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 PM

10,250 posts, read 15,962,115 times
When its not far out of the way, I do see sites associated with local celebrities like.

I've visited the Sonic in Albemarle, NC where Kellie Pickler worked at in high school, the house in Lynchburg, VA where Phil Vassar lived in as a kid (he sings out the address in his song American Child and many people visit it) and also been to Sara Evans and Gretchen Wilson's hometowns. The best experience was visiting Gretchen Wilson' local hometown bar in Pocahontas, Illinois (pop. 800) and doing karoke there.

I do try to expereince the local food either thorugh local restaurants, or through chains native to that area that don't have locations in my home city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel