Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM

220 posts, read 1,109,521 times

Advertisements

I will need to call home while traveling in France. I have heard it is better to buy a calling card there instead of buying it here at home. Does anyone have experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,811 times
I used calling cards both times I was in Europe because the cell charges for out of country are outrageous. Unfortunately it's kind of a trial run situation where you will have to try a few different cards before finding a good card. Another problem you may encounter is when you make the call, the operators and voices on the card are in the language of the country you were in. LOL - I was out of the loop when I was in Austria and the voice on the card spoke German...I did not know German so I had to go down to the motel clerk to ask how to use the card. Hopefully you have a phrase book or speak the language.

On the other hand, if you want to see if your cell company can give you discounted rates while traveling abroad, that might help too.

Good luck and enjoy France! It's a lovely country.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:55 PM

143 posts, read 810,064 times
We just used our regular cell phones while in France this summer. We have AT&T. We had the international plan added while we were there, and had it removed when we got home. We didn't have any problems, and it was nice to use the phones we were used to.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:27 PM

220 posts, read 1,109,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
We just used our regular cell phones while in France this summer. We have AT&T. We had the international plan added while we were there, and had it removed when we got home. We didn't have any problems, and it was nice to use the phones we were used to.
Unfortunately we have Verizon which does not work in Europe but works beautifully out in the very rural area where we live. It's calling cards for us!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:44 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
I was in Ireland in September and used a calling card. It was great and really cheap. The cards are readily available and can be used at payphones throughout the country.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM

176 posts, read 1,146,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelongboatkey View Post
I will need to call home while traveling in France. I have heard it is better to buy a calling card there instead of buying it here at home. Does anyone have experience with this?
We used them throughout Europe. We would buy them within the country we were visiting. Most were a very good value.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,152 times
If you haven't already experienced Skype (online computer communications network) it's well worth the investigation, expecially if you're taking your laptop and can get wireless connection in cafes (which are increasingly prevalent in larger cities). If you're not taking your laptop, internet centers in most places have Skype. International telephone calls on Skype are like $0.01 a minute and the reception is good.

If you're hoping to use your cell phone, be aware that US cell phone companies operate very differently than in Europe, with dedicated phones. You won't necessarily be able to get coverage to all countries. If you have AT&T, the advice you received earlier sounds good.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,254,417 times
I don't know about France but when we travelled in Asia, we always just bought a calling card there. It seemed like the cheaper thing to do.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,180 times
I never been to France, but I'm currently using Pincity.com italk phone card when i travel outside the US, it's not bad. You can check more info from their website.
Hope it's helpful^-^

Last edited by pcn108; 11-10-2007 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: the url looks funny

Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,114 times
Hi,

In fact, -unfortunately- I have not been in France but I have visited many countries and tried many different international calling cards. Now, I am using Pingo. I can say that it is the best. Its rates and connection quality are very good. The other advantage of Pingo is that you can refill your account online or if you want, they refill your account automatically whenever your balance drops to $ 5.00. For tat reason, you do not worry to run out of minutes.

I know there are many different calling card and some of them offering tricky prices and/or promotions. Pingo is not one of them. Please be aware and check Pingo.com before giving a decision...

Best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel