Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:48 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times

Advertisements

I couldn't do it as I carry a camera with 3 lenses. It would take up too much luggage space if I was only allowed one carry on.

Depending on the country I can't always get what I need for toiletries easily. I need eye wash, unscented lotions and shampoos, etc so it would be too much hassle to try to buy everything on arrival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 AM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^ Sure, if you need some special stuff, or prescription, or hard to get, but not a general/common like shampoo, or soap or toothpaste.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Absolutely! and this is a very wise choice. Get a soft carry-in luggage. Those are easier to fit into overhead storage.
Put the heaviest and most bulky clothing on. Take a big handbag/purse and put in toiletry. Pack mix&match clothing you can combine in many ways.

I only take make-up with me. Hair care/soap/lotions/toothpaste and such I buy at destination. Those things are cheap pretty much everywhere. No reason to take a soap, shampoo, or laundry liquid with you ...
I bring the 2 ounce bottle of liquid laundry soap as it weighs nothing and fits in my 3-1-1 bag. It's all I need for my hand washing for a couple of weeks (A little goes a very long way in a small sink!) and it's better than lugging a big jug around!

Things like hair cream, face cream, etc. are very expensive and can't always be found where you are going. Why buy it there when you can fit everything you need into a quart size zip lock and bring it along--knowing that way that you'll have your preferred brands? That way you don't have to spend your first day going from place to place trying to buy things--which to me is completely illogical.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I couldn't do it as I carry a camera with 3 lenses. It would take up too much luggage space if I was only allowed one carry on.
I had this problem last year. My solution was to really give thought to what I'd be taking photos of and then rent a "single lens does it all" for my trip. I broke my camera down into the body, lens, and grip and packed each into their padded pouches and put into my "personal item."

Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I had this problem last year. My solution was to really give thought to what I'd be taking photos of and then rent a "single lens does it all" for my trip. I broke my camera down into the body, lens, and grip and packed each into their padded pouches and put into my "personal item."
At my destination I carry my camera bag, so I need the bag with me. I didn't buy the camera and the lenses in order to leave them at home when my favourite time to take photos is when I travel.

I'm about to take an Easy Jet flight where you are only allowed one carry on - no handbag, no camera bag - one item only. So in order to be able to bring my camera and accessories I had to pay for a checked bag. No option.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
At my destination I carry my camera bag, so I need the bag with me. I didn't buy the camera and the lenses in order to leave them at home when my favourite time to take photos is when I travel.
Got it. I don't like carrying a camera bag. I prefer to wrap the strap around my wrist and carry the camera by the grip. I am not a "travel" photographer, to be honest, a P&S would do me fine when I travel, except I would never get the quality and optical zoom that I insist on.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
When I did travel light, I always packed a travel-size bottle of Febreeze. Turned my clothes inside out on a chair and sprayed them the night before.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Got it. I don't like carrying a camera bag. I prefer to wrap the strap around my wrist and carry the camera by the grip. I am not a "travel" photographer, to be honest, a P&S would do me fine when I travel, except I would never get the quality and optical zoom that I insist on.
If I want to get great photos I need my bag and all my lenses. Just got back from a trip to Africa and did a couple of safaris. Would not have got the great closeups of wildlife w/o my 300mm lens. So it was worth it to carry the bag. I didn't finally spend all that money on a good dslr to leave the lenses at home.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
If I want to get great photos I need my bag and all my lenses. Just got back from a trip to Africa and did a couple of safaris. Would not have got the great closeups of wildlife w/o my 300mm lens. So it was worth it to carry the bag. I didn't finally spend all that money on a good dslr to leave the lenses at home.
I guess if I were going to Africa I would probably do the same--and bring 2-3 bodies so I didn't have to change lenses. But for walking around Rome or Paris, one body with a grip and a 28-200 gets me everything I need while keeping my gear safe from thieves.

I spent the money because I make money with photography. Somehow it seems too much like work to try for technical perfection when I'm on vacation.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I guess if I were going to Africa I would probably do the same--and bring 2-3 bodies so I didn't have to change lenses. But for walking around Rome or Paris, one body with a grip and a 28-200 gets me everything I need while keeping my gear safe from thieves.

I spent the money because I make money with photography. Somehow it seems too much like work to try for technical perfection when I'm on vacation.
A second body is a good idea. I find my best quality pics are with my nifty 50, but then I want to switch to a wider angle and then have to change the lens. Still never feels like work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel