Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
They do? Honest question, not trying to be a jerk. I guess I've always just used mine frequently enough that I've never run into that problem, but what's their window?
Under the new program, miles don't expire. And unlike the legacy airlines, you can actually USE them without flying the third week in February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Under the new program, miles don't expire. And unlike the legacy airlines, you can actually USE them without flying the third week in February.
I've never had a problem using them with the legacies.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM

Another reason to not fly SW, no first class. As a frequent flier with higher status, I enjoy complimentary upgrades almost every time I fly. That means always having overhead space, legroom, and no chance of someone encroaching into my seat.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've never had a problem using them with the legacies.
You have the top status with the airlines. For us mere mortals, you are lucky to find free seat availability for major destinations for the times we want to travel.

Study Tests Availability of Frequent Flyer Reward Seats - SmarterTravel.com

http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...eat-Report.pdf

Frequent flyer survey: Southwest ranks number one in seat availability | www.WHEC.com

Personally, I have been sitting on 180,000 American Airline miles for ten years and have yet to get tickets for times that we have wanted to travel. At some point, we will use them for flights to Des Moines or Columbus in January on crop dusters just to use them.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
You have the top status with the airlines. For us mere mortals, ......
Excellent response. I too was wondering why this particular poster would even take the time to read, much less comment on SWA. Yes, we all know they do not have first class, so no chance we will see this person on a SWA flight (very comforting to know BTW...) (again why would they waste the time commenting )

Those of us in the trenches of life (and traveling in cattle car class) can get along just fine sharing useful and applicable information.

While I have exec status on several legacy carriers and have spent enough time in First Class to know it is not appropriate for my taste, I much prefer the ease of SWA, especially a short USA flights.

I usually give my upgrades to my kids or friends, they often enjoy the perks. I especially like to give the upgrades to small children to help 'train' the executive fliers in First Class. The kids REALLY like the attention (as do all 'children'). My kids had such a great time pouring the champagne over their hands after meals. The flight attendants had taught us it was the best use of the stuff many yrs ago.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Those of us in the trenches of life (and traveling in cattle car class) can get along just fine sharing useful and applicable information.

While I have exec status on several legacy carriers and have spent enough time in First Class to know it is not appropriate for my taste, I much prefer the ease of SWA, especially a short USA flights. .

Back when I was traveling 200+ nights per year, I was generally addressed by NAME on sight as I was living at STL Lambert Airport. I had the top status at TWO airlines and got whatever I asked for.

Now, I spend $1000 a year max on airlines as we do a lot more driving trips, many of which are paid by work. All I expect is to be treated with simple dignity - like you would get when you head into McDonalds. And you don't even get that with certain airlines.

I have been trying for several years to get two RT tickets on American to Puerto Rico for specific dates. They can do it only on weird times like the 3rd Tuesday in February. When my wife retires in a few years, we may actually find a ticket that works.

========

The other advantage of Southwest is that you know that you will be on a Boeing 737 jet flown by experienced and well paid pilots. When you fly a short jump on many of the legacies, the flight is outsourced to small carriers like Mesa and the like where the pilot training is significantly less and the safety records less stellar. Also, the jets are often much smaller.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You have the top status with the airlines. For us mere mortals, you are lucky to find free seat availability for major destinations for the times we want to travel.

Study Tests Availability of Frequent Flyer Reward Seats - SmarterTravel.com

http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...eat-Report.pdf

Frequent flyer survey: Southwest ranks number one in seat availability | www.WHEC.com

Personally, I have been sitting on 180,000 American Airline miles for ten years and have yet to get tickets for times that we have wanted to travel. At some point, we will use them for flights to Des Moines or Columbus in January on crop dusters just to use them.
In the past 10 years I've redeemed tickets to fly July 1st (over the holiday weekend in both the US and Canada--I was flying to YYC), Labor Day weekend twice, and EWR to MCO during NJ Week. (Google it.) I was not top tier for all of those trips. Perhaps because I'm not looking for the rock bottom 20K miles r/t tickets, and usually look to first class for long hauls on my free trips. Most flyers barely scrape up enough miles for the low mileage economy tickets, so there's less competition.

Right now I've hoarding miles for First or Business class seats to Australia in a couple of years--I'm willing to shell out half a million if need be, not making that trip in economy. If I've got some leftover, I'll use them to upgrade to Europe on a later trip.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Excellent response. I too was wondering why this particular poster would even take the time to read, much less comment on SWA. Yes, we all know they do not have first class, so no chance we will see this person on a SWA flight (very comforting to know BTW...) (again why would they waste the time commenting )

While I have exec status on several legacy carriers and have spent enough time in First Class to know it is not appropriate for my taste, I much prefer the ease of SWA, especially a short USA flights.

I usually give my upgrades to my kids or friends, they often enjoy the perks. I especially like to give the upgrades to small children to help 'train' the executive fliers in First Class. The kids REALLY like the attention (as do all 'children'). My kids had such a great time pouring the champagne over their hands after meals. The flight attendants had taught us it was the best use of the stuff many yrs ago.
Obviously you've never flown FC because you'd know that you don't get Champagne except on international long hauls, and they'd never serve it to children.

I have flown SW before, a few times, and very quickly realized it's not for me. If you read the title of the thread, you'll see that my comments were quite relevant. Just because we live very different lives, it doesn't mean that my input isn't just as meaningful as yours. For the average person who isn't willing to dumpster dive or shovel manure for their meals, my information is actually far more relevant.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
The flight in question is over 2,000 miles, so not a short hop. Both offer non-stops. If I had to change planes, I'd research the on-time records for connecting airports. SW on-times out of Las Vegas were dismal last year when I checked so I went thru Phoenix. AA sends me either to Dallas or Chicago if I don't get a non-stop. The things I like about AA are the fact that I can reserve a seat and that if I'd starving I have the option to pay a lot of money of some mediocre food. I often get an in-flight movie with AA too.

Someone mentioned safety and there was an incident with SW back in the 90s that I'll never forget. I'm in LA and sometimes use the Burbank airport. Well,one night the pilot of this one SW flight landed on Hollywood Way instead of the runway. The guy working at the Union 76 station looked up and saw a 737 heading his way and had the presence of mind to hit the emergency stop switch on the pumps. Luckily the plane didn't do any real damage, but you've gotta wonder about the pilot. We were flying back from Vegas once in 2000 I think and the pilots for our SW flight back to Burbank never showed up. That always made me wonder if they'd partied too hard the night before or..... And the delay was horrendous as all of those weekend LA area/LV flights are packed.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Toss up for me. I'd probably lean Southwest now, whereas 10 yrs ago in my business travel heydeys I'd choose American. However, i find the Southwest flight attendants can be extremely annoying with their corny antics and crappy jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel