Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,397,575 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what folks think about driving across country. I'm planning on moving from L.A. to Boston and I like the idea of driving. I think long drives are a great opportunity to think and get some perspective on life. I like to visit other towns and I don't mind sleeping in cheap hotel. Other people think driving across country is hell.

What are your thoughts?

greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
Go for it. It is a wonderful experience. We did it in 1993 and still ahve wonderful memories and thoughts of it.

Cant wait to do it again

dorothy

Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
What better way to get to see and know your country?? It's a beautiful place full of interesting sights. I hear of people flying here and there all the time but they don't know what's in the town right next to them. How sad. I have driven across the US 3 times now and each and every time I see new things. I love it.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:57 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Greenie, It's a wonderful experience! Using any mapping software, locate all
points of interest and make those stops. It breaks up the long drive, gives your
legs a strench and it's educational. When we had the RV, we drove from FL to
Alaska. The trip wasn't about Alaska at all, it was focused on everything in-between from point A to point B. Even locate famous restaurants, botanical gardens, museums,
art or festivals. :-) Wishing you a safe and happy journey.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
One big point: give yourself time! Time to drive at a reasonable pace. Time to get off the road in bad weather, time to stop if you spot something interesting.

We did 2 week roads trips (I talk about it some in another thread) and I still think the smartest thing we did was preplan the entire trip. We knew where we were staying, what was around the hotel, and had places in mind to visit.

We knew if we didn't stop to see something along the way that we had plenty of time for a nice meal after we arrived. We had enough slop in the time/distance for each leg that if we did stop we could still get to our hotel, have a meal (quickie sometimes) and still get to sleep at a reasonable time.

If you set up hotels in advance and use your credit card ask if they guarantee late check-in. Most do when paying with a CC, but not all.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:45 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Even before I became a trucker, I loved taking road trips! They really are good for the soul. You learn a lot about the U.S. And about yourself. Even revisiting the same places in different seasons and lighting conditions can make for entirely different experiences each time you visit. Enjoy!

Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Does anybody have a suggestion as to what kind or car I should buy to drive cross country in?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
Hubby and I drove from upstate NY to Phoenix, AZ. I like road trips so I found the trip enjoyable. What made it even better is that we were able to visit family on the way as we made our way from NY to TX. We were, unfortunately, pressed for time a bit so we had to shorten a planned 2 week trip to a 1 week trip. I would say definitely don't push yourself - drive between 8-12 (max!) hours a day.

I say go for it. I wouldn't go in a compact car for comfort reasons but I guess we all have our own preferences. Also, if you can get a friend to tag along that would be great. I say this b'c a.) good company makes everything better b.) one drives, the other navigates c.) take turns driving d.) bring good music!

Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM

35 posts, read 83,083 times
I've helped a friend move from Boston to Phoenix, and just recently moved from Boston to West Palm Beach, FL. Drove to and from FL to Boston twice and the trip from Bos to AZ once. Loved it. I prefer to drive rather than fly for all the reasons mentioned. It's great seing the country from the ground, stopping if you see something interesting. It was no big deal for me to drive, I do alot for work now and before I moved. I regularly drove all over New England, Buffalo, the Virginias, PA and everywhere between, my own car, but reimbursed for mileage though. I got to see some great things that I hadn't seen, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Civil War Battlefields, different baseball parks....etc. If you do it, make sure you go at your own pace, don't rush to get anywhere if you don't have to or it defeats the purpose. Good luck, and enjoy if you decide to do it.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I've helped a friend move from Boston to Phoenix, and just recently moved from Boston to West Palm Beach, FL. Drove to and from FL to Boston twice and the trip from Bos to AZ once. Loved it. I prefer to drive rather than fly for all the reasons mentioned. It's great seing the country from the ground, stopping if you see something interesting. It was no big deal for me to drive, I do alot for work now and before I moved. I regularly drove all over New England, Buffalo, the Virginias, PA and everywhere between, my own car, but reimbursed for mileage though. I got to see some great things that I hadn't seen, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Civil War Battlefields, different baseball parks....etc. If you do it, make sure you go at your own pace, don't rush to get anywhere if you don't have to or it defeats the purpose. Good luck, and enjoy if you decide to do it.
what kind of car did you drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel