Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 PM

720 posts, read 1,710,003 times

Advertisements

Agree that WDW is exorbitant nowadays. But don't agree that to have a good time you need to throw a thrifty mindset out. We go off-season and stay in the value hotels. Breakfast in our room (milk and juice in fridge, cereal, coffee,tea).
We've tried the meal plan, and found it was too much food and too limited, especially for the kids. Actually cheaper to pay for and share meals. Brought reusable water bottles and re-filled them in the parks. Also brought our own snacks from home.
Did one park a day instead of parkhopper----practically speaking, to do more than one park in a day is too time-consuming in travel time.
I do love that you can make reservations for $200.00 and make payments.
Took 3 grandkids 2 years ago---ages 16, 61/2 and 4. I do think the younger two were not old enough to tolerate the crowds and lines. But WDW is the Holy Grail for kids!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
One of the most memorable trips we had as a kid was a trip to Acoma Sky City.

History of Acoma Pueblo & Guided Tours: Sky City Cultural Center

It was really interesting....and way cheaper than Disney. (We did do trips to each as well, but it was much cheaper then.)

I think there are so many better trips out there for $3k for a family of four.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
I also agree about not taking a 5-year old to WDW; waiting 2 or 3 years sounds like a great idea.

Also, do not going during the summer; go in the spring when the weather is perfect.

The average high and low for early April are 79 and 60, which is pretty darned perfect.

You might also considering visiting The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com - Powered by vBulletin for plenty of money-saving ideas for trips to WDW regarding whether or not to rent a car, airline choices (Southwest gets most of the props due to their baggage policies, and whether or not to stay on the property.

Of course, a good travel agent can also make some solid recommendations that won't demolish your budget.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,810 times
Instead of taking our kids to Disney, we took them to Europe. We saw London, Paris, Rome etc...every summer we went somewhere new. No, they didnt see the big deal Disney, but their memories are JUST as exciting....and I venture to say it, MORE exciting than an artificially designed Magic place. Versailles was magic. Rome was magic. Brussels was magic..to them. They (now late 20s) still talk about their adventures. Believe it or not, it cost about the same to do what we did instead. Priorities are different for different people.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,830 times
LOL I'd much rather have cable and meals out during the span of a year, than a week at Disney.
Now I would cut that stuff out for a week elsewhere.
I agree with FlightAttendant - we have gone to Verssailles, Rome, etc and that stuff is worth it to me.
When you've gone to the real Eiffel Tower, who wants to see the fake one at Disney? But I agree, priorities are different for different people. Some people may be more than happy to quit eating out and not have cable for a year to spend a week at Disney, but not me. Honestly you couldn't give me a $3000 trip to Disney for $300 at this point.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
From kids Disney World is magic. It not bad for adults either. Kids have different likes than adults and few places compare.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,219,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
LOL I'd much rather have cable and meals out during the span of a year, than a week at Disney.
Now I would cut that stuff out for a week elsewhere.
I agree with FlightAttendant - we have gone to Verssailles, Rome, etc and that stuff is worth it to me.
When you've gone to the real Eiffel Tower, who wants to see the fake one at Disney? But I agree, priorities are different for different people. Some people may be more than happy to quit eating out and not have cable for a year to spend a week at Disney, but not me. Honestly you couldn't give me a $3000 trip to Disney for $300 at this point.
I agree. At 4K for 4 days for a family of 4, you'd be better off going to Europe. 4k would pay for the flights (assuming they live in "fly-over" areas, NYC is cheaper) and then they only have to come up with hotel and meals for a REAL vacation. To make it cheap, those hotel stays at the US Best Westerns earn stays at some of the better hotels, location wise, in Europe.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 AM

884 posts, read 1,172,546 times
I went to Disneyland/CA Adventure, twice (because I bought the wrong pass like a moron and ended up having to upgrade to a 2 day park hopper to get into both parks). It was fun, but I didn't think it was worth the price. Universal Studios, Knott's, and six flags are all cheaper and I prefer all of them. I love roller coasters and thrill rides and prefer them to Disney's themed rides. It must be crazy expensive for your average family, and at least in Anaheim you may as well stay on the property because most of the other options in Anaheim are no-tell motels...not exactly family friendly. And if you did find a decent hotel, parking at Disney was like $25 bucks or some craziness, so add that onto your costs. I can't even imagine.

My other gripe is how expensive six flags is-I grew up going to Cedar Point which has better roller coasters (IMO) and is still, even with the recent price hike, significantly cheaper on all accounts than six flags. It's crazy how things that used to be affordable aren't anymore. Maybe we as a society are spending the money that would've gone for a Disney vacation on other things (smart phones, cable/internet, that sort of thing) but I would bet the price increases contribute as well.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Once was more than enough for me..expensive, off season, usually meaning the summer hotter than hell.
Any school breaks like Christmas or Easter when the weather is nicer to walk around that blasted park and stand in endless lines it gets more $$$.

You're better off taking the kids out of school for a few days in like Oct or late March when the park isn't as crowded and you're not spending hours in line...

Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
The first time we visited Disney World - we went to the Epot Park - It was $18 a day for adults. The next time we went about 8 years later it was $35 a day. Now I wouldn't even think of going as it is almost $100. For kids over 11 or 12 Epcot is a better experience. Maybe we will look into Universal for something different.

I agree with Boxus, that a National Park experience would be a better choice and very educational for kids and can be relaxing for adults.
I hate to break it to you, but Universal is the same price. They were actually the first to break the $90 barrier this year. Then Disney followed suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel