Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times

Advertisements

Funny....we were just discussing this at work recently, but at what price point does Disney price itself out of reach for typical families.

I think most families plan this as their only vacation for the year and either save or charge it and pay it off over the year.

Our girls are reaching 5 and even with the Florida resident discount we are looking at nearly $800 for two days.

It is no longer a small inexpensive excursion.....it's a significant amount of cash for one or two days of fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 05:10 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
> take the kids to a National Park

When real experiences are cheaper...why get the packaged one?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> take the kids to a National Park

When real experiences are cheaper...why get the packaged one?
That's what we have been doing......on the way back from RI to Florida we stopped in NYC and took the Staten Island Ferry in and took the subway into the city. They loved the subway and ferry!

We have done most of the aquariums and childrens museums up and down the east coast and I don't think we have ever spent much over $100 for the day.

They have also been on Skyline drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, Niagara Falls and Mt Washington......inexpensive places.........but huge memories

Old 08-04-2013, 06:15 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,629 times
Disney seems to cost about $1000/day for a family of four, all inclusive, for the 4-7 day range. Yes, I know people who dropped $7k for a week at Disney World this year. $7k. Middle Class is relative, but let's say a $75k income. Take home would be much less. There's no way blowing $5-7k would be responsible for a middle class family.

It's almost like a family would need to make $150k/year before it would not be irresponsible to go there.

Disney can charge that because they know some families will go into debt for their kids. Not only that, but there are plenty of rich international families who CAN afford that and help Disney to justify the price as they help keep the parks crowded.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:32 AM

198 posts, read 484,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Disney seems to cost about $1000/day for a family of four, all inclusive, for the 4-7 day range. Yes, I know people who dropped $7k for a week at Disney World this year. $7k. Middle Class is relative, but let's say a $75k income. Take home would be much less. There's no way blowing $5-7k would be responsible for a middle class family.

It's almost like a family would need to make $150k/year before it would not be irresponsible to go there.

Disney can charge that because they know some families will go into debt for their kids. Not only that, but there are plenty of rich international families who CAN afford that and help Disney to justify the price as they help keep the parks crowded.
That's Pretty close to what i found. I think I priced it out at around $3500 for 4/5 days including flight and meal plan at the least expensive Disney resort but that was only for 3 people.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
We are going back to WDW this year for the first time in 25 years. This time without the kids so we can enjoy it at our pace instead of the kids pace.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,797 times
My goodness I did not realize Disney had gotten so expensive! I lived in FL back in the 70's and we went and paid $12.00 (I think that was the price) for admission. Fast forward to when the kids were small and we spent $25.00 per person. Now it is $90! Eating/drinking was always expensive there, I don't think I want to see the prices now! I wonder if other attractions in FL have such high prices?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Disney seems to cost about $1000/day for a family of four, all inclusive, for the 4-7 day range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBOSCH View Post
That's Pretty close to what i found. I think I priced it out at around $3500 for 4/5 days including flight and meal plan at the least expensive Disney resort but that was only for 3 people.

Just curious....it's an amusement park, right? Why would you ever need to spend more than one day there? Why does everyone price it out at 4-5 days?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Each park is separate, and each one basically takes a full day. There is Epcot, Magic Kingdom, The water park, the animal adventure... On and on, Disney is huge.

That being said, you could go to Orlando, do one Disney park, stay in Orlando for the rest of the trip, and do other parks, I have done that, but even Sea World, Universal Studios, are still pricey. You reduce your cost, by staying off Disney property, but if you have small kids, are plan to do Disney, it makes sense to stay there, so you get up, do part of Magic Kingdom, go back to hotel, let them nap, get up, have dinner early, and go back, to see the fireworks. Staying off property makes that almost impossible, because of how huge and spread out Disney is.

If you have older kids, who don't need naps, you still have a very long day if you stay outside the park.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:18 AM

When my wife and I were in much better shape we could do a Disney Park in a day (summer hours), see everything.....................but we were whipped. Unfortunately It is pretty much an impossibility to see a complete park in one day with children.....my opinion. Now Disney in LA is so much more compact and might be possible.......California Adventures......................no way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel