Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If remembering vacations is the criteria for taking them, why take kids anywhere? What's wrong with just having a good time as a family and living in the moment?
As this thread has discussed the costliness of going to Disney World, I think it's safe to assume for some families that's a once in a lifetime trip. So wouldn't you want to go when the kids can remember it? Also, if they are a bit older they can go on all the rides (usually).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
5 is too young. They won't remember it.
The first time I met my Grandparents on Mom's side I was 4 and to this day I remember well that trip... we had talked about for almost a year with my parents saving up for it...

Spent a month on their small Dairy Farm and everything was great...

I'm not a big fan of commercial type parks and the money one is expected to spend.

Last time I was at Disneyland my childhood friend was a manager and his Mom called him up to say I would be in Los Angeles... apparently, one of the perks of management is you can sign in personal guest from time to time... we had a great time!

My brother was a guest when a family friend invited him to the park for a closed company party...

I guess there are ways... plus the package deals through the credit union or auto club...

I still have one last E-ticket I was saving.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I still don't get the hype about Disneyland -it's a completely, plastic, false world-with the notable exception of Animal Kingdom. Still I'm grateful to the families to bring their brats there instead of having throngs of them destroying the ecosystems of the Yellowstone , Yosemite or Grand Canyon!
My kids have been to The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park, Glacier National Park, and a few others, so Disneyland sounds pretty good to them.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
This thread caught my eye because we like to go to Disney World a lot. There is so much to do so we are never bored. I think it is a great place for a family to go at least once.

As for the price, I ask if anyone here has been to a major amusement park recently. A ticket to Six Flags New England is $57.00 and IMHO, is not worth it. The place is nothing but roller coasters and thrill rides. Not what everyone wants to do. Plus I am not sure it is that clean and the staff very well trained.

Magic Kingdom is $95.00 and the other parks (Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios) are $90.00 but there are a lot more interesting and imaginative rides and attractions there that everyone would like. Food prices a Six Flags is not much less than Disney either. Universal Studios or their Isle of Adventures park is $92.00, so Disney is not that far off with its MK ticket price.

Plus having been to a lot of different parks over the years, I will say Disney is by far the leader. The place is very clean and there are knowledgible people everywhere to help you. Every corner you turn has a new adventure or amusement. There are characters to see, shows to watch and parades and fireworks that are unrivaled anywhere. The rides will make you scratch your head wondering how they thought of that and if you allow yourself you will be lost in the fun of the whole place.

As to whether a middle class family can afford a trip, a lot does depend on the family. Obviously a middle class family must save for this and will not be going often. But certainly they can afford to go if they save over the course of several years. Also there are ways to save money when there. Do a lot of online research before going to save on hotels and food while down there. I really do think every one should go at least once. Jay

Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,510 times
Never, never, never go in August...or every member of the family will look like this:

Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
It's a matter of planning ahead... $3k-4k savings is very do-able within a year. Whether it'd be money well spent is another matter.

My kids are 5 and I'm on the fence whether this will be a good trip for us next month. Everything's booked and we're only doing 2 or 3 Disney parks and built in some down-time so it'd feel like a real vacation.

For 4 people it was:
$275 airfare x 4 = 1100
$96 hotel x 8 nights = 768
$40 car x 8 days = 320
$1080 for park tickets
================
3268 before food, etc.

Undoubtedly a considerable sum, but it'll be their first big trip ever and yes, people do what they can for the kids. Before we had kids the 2 of us would go on cruises for $1500, so the math isn't too far off. If anything, I'd like them to discount kids' tickets a bit more, but what can you do?

Anyway, I have a feeling people can cut back on some monthly expenses as it is. People pay $40/mo. for each cellphone, eat out more than once a week, rent a car for $300/mo. (lease), beer/smokes, $40/mo. on home delivery of WATER, $125/mo. for someone else to mow the lawn, $200/mo. for tv/internet... the list goes on. Sound like your typical middle-class family? Take time out to evaluate what you're spending frivolously on and use that on family vacation ONCE a year.

That is my thought exactly.

We take at least one vacation a year. I don't regret spending money on vacations. I cherish the memories. My son is 12 and he has a lot of fun memories. Before you know it, he will be out of the house so we do it while we can.

You're right, there are lots of things people can trim from their budget and use that for a 'free' vacation.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,830 times
I guess to each their own. I went to DW once, and that was good enough for me. I really don't like going back to one place over and over, not when there are so many wonderful places in the world to see. But my in-laws wanted to go with us so bad, they offered to pay so we went a 2nd time. At Christmas. It was a nightmare, we hated it. I got sick one day and the best day was that day I spent at the hotel because I was sick, and my husband stayed too because we just needed a break. I don't understand wanting to spend your vacation and hard-earned money at a place where you have to spend hours standing in line, just to get in another line. It is so not for me. I'd rather go relax in a cabin in the woods, hike, or go to the beach, or site-see in a famous city, etc.

But, different strokes. One of my in-laws goes so much they have a monthly payment plan that allows them a discount on their admission and food. However they has no savings, debt, live paycheck to paycheck, and almost lost their home last year and had to work 80 hours a week last summer to make ends meet. But can't give up those Disney vacays! I find that absurd. I am just thankful my husband isn't into Disney like that. We are fine to never go back again, honestly. Lines and screaming kids and crowds packed face-to-butt (I'm short, I always get a butt in my face), just not my idea of a good time. And we seemed to never find a character or get to see a good view of anything, even when we first went in the off-season.

Like everyone else, I don't regret spending money on vacations. But I'd just rather go elsewhere. IMO, Disney is just too expensive for what it offers. Even in the off-season, the crowds are just too much for me and really takes away from any experience I can get. It is not worth the price, for what you get in return there. I guess it's just not for me. I have a much better time elsewhere. It is sad that it's no longer affordable for most people.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:18 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I won a trip there 15 years ago. So my cousin and I went on down to Florida, all expenses paid except for meals and park tickets, and the woman at the counter of our hotel tried to sell us the deluxe parkhopper pass or whatever it was, under the argument that we would be able to use up whatever visits we failed to use on that trip during our NEXT trip. We laughed in her face when she protested that the passes were good for a lifetime. We explained that we didn't come from families that did Disney on a regular basis. Indeed, my cousin only got back there with her child last year, after 15 years, and the trip really broke the bank for her and her husband. They won't be doing it again any time soon.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
We did Disney several times. We didn't think we could afford it but when we cut out other unnecessary expenses, it became affordable and well worth it. Take the money you generally spend for movies, eating out and other entertainment and see how much that adds up to. Shut off the cable tv or minimize it. Cancel services or reduce them. Look at what is happening to your disposable income. It you keep a budget, you can find ways to cut, nearly everyone can. So many people have trouble with delaying gratification but with Disney in the future and a plan to save the money................... I am so glad we took the kids when they were young. We did 10 trips. We used to buy the annual and say go for 10 days in October and then go back for 10 days the next September. Two years we stayed in a tent, twice in the trailers on Fort Wilderness and the other times in an RV on Fort Wilderness. All trips were off season. Long live Mickey!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
In answer to some of the responses about kids not remembering things when they were 5, yes, people do get vivid memories from that age. I just think that if you are going to go to Disney World it is best to go when the kids are older and will have a more vivid memory. And I apologize, I have been derailing the thread with this. This is about the cost which is expensive no matter how old your kids are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel