Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:00 PM

142 posts, read 252,852 times

Advertisements

Well we've reached the end of another summer. Starting on Tuesday, kids will be back in school, and the adults will have returned from their vacations back into the workforce once again. I kind of hate this time of the year, because that just means that we're closer to the return of winter which I hate. This was a great summer for me, I was able to travel a lot, including travelling to LA back in late May for a week, and then going to Dubai for 3 weeks in late June/early July. I've been off for the last week at the beach here in Ocean City, and already dread the trek back home to DC on Monday. At least here in the DC area we'll be warm enough until late October, but I'm already dreading the cooler weather upcoming, along with the shorter daylight.

So, how did you all spend your summer break? Was it eventful enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:36 AM

454 posts, read 794,948 times
This year did not have the finances i would have liked, so longer vacations or traveling out of state was not possible.... so i was content this summer to enjoy a dozen or so day-trips upcoast

Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post

I spent mine looking forward to Fall. We actually have about another 6 weeks of "summer" here. It can be in the upper 80s here into October during the daytime. I don't travel in the summer. I'm retired. I wait for everyone to be back at work and school or I go in May.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,553,124 times
Not a 'break' for me since we are retired and kids are long gone. We travel all during the year (as much as we can while we are still healthy and fit). But this summer we spent a month in the US visiting my family and grandkids. Otherwise, it was local(ish) trips. This month we'll travel to Ireland.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM

401 posts, read 480,150 times
I spent mine working and counting the days till my next 2 cruises with Royal Caribbean. I'll cruise to the Bahamas for the first time this month with them. Also, I'm working on my next trip which hopefully will be a Panama Canal cruise in April 2014. We'll see on that.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:56 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,594,180 times
Most kids here have been back to school for a month already! However, summer is a long, long, long way from being over with. We will have at least another 6-8 weeks for 100 plus degree temps before it will "cool" off to the 90's and below. At least by October the evenings will start to dip into the 70's and we will have some cool mornings, so that always helps.

I spend my summers either hibernating inside or making plans to get out of the heat. We spent 4th of July weekend up in the pines of Northern Arizona at Christopher Creek. Spent 4 days the end of July in San Diego on the beach with my hubby and another 4 days in San Diego the end of August with my daughter for our 8th annual mother/daughter beach & shopping trip. No men allowed! Next hope for cool weather will be a trip to Bozeman the end of September for our daughters bridal shower with family up there that won't be able to attend the wedding in December.

All in all, hasn't been too bad of a summer. Only about 2 weeks of 110 plus degree days total. But when the temps go above 100 by the 2nd week in May and don't cool off again until mid to late October, it gets rather wearing on a body. Fall, winter and springs here are FABULOUS though!

When you all get sick of the cold weather this year, come for a visit in February. Best month out of the year. Low 70's and sunshine every day. Can't beat it.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
Well we've reached the end of another summer. Starting on Tuesday, kids will be back in school, and the adults will have returned from their vacations back into the workforce once again. I kind of hate this time of the year, because that just means that we're closer to the return of winter which I hate. This was a great summer for me, I was able to travel a lot, including travelling to LA back in late May for a week, and then going to Dubai for 3 weeks in late June/early July. I've been off for the last week at the beach here in Ocean City, and already dread the trek back home to DC on Monday. At least here in the DC area we'll be warm enough until late October, but I'm already dreading the cooler weather upcoming, along with the shorter daylight.

Lots of kids have already gone back to school: kids in Texas, NM and here in AR have been in school foe a couple of weeks. I think that is insane, truthfully. But now, how did we spend our summer? We didn't do a darn thing exciting, we are retired and do our traveling when kids are not everywhere. We will be in Canada for a week the end of this month and in Dec we will be on a 12 day cruise. We barely get back in time for Christmas celebration with our family.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:21 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,440,077 times
Stuck at home listening to noisy neighbors

Old 09-01-2013, 08:29 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,445,704 times
In the beautiful California sun! Such a relief after living in Florida for so long.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Yes, 'retirement' is pretty nice for 'Summer' and Fall and winter and Spring - Been "Off-the-clock" for nearly 10 yrs and yet another 10yrs before I am to 'retirement' age... SAVED for yrs at a meager hourly job and single income 'homeschool family'. (living / traveling on a shoestring)

Tough to beat PNW for summer. (Portland / Seattle / Vancouver BC) Tho Alaska CAN be nicer summer than lower 48 PNW!!

Tonight I'm enjoying fresh wild berries and Steelhead grilled on a cedar plank... it's that time of the yr.

I travel most of the yr, but stay home in the summer. (tho did a couple 2-3000 road trips and 6 flights 'just for fun'.)

Back to Thailand and Singapore and San Diego this month, but home in time for a Motorcycle 'relocation' trip to take one of my extra bikes from Colorado to NM Balloon Fiesta (Oct 5-12), then on to Hill Country, Tx. Via Carlsbad and Big Bend Parks.

I do hope to spend a summer 'barging' and 'biking' in Europe soon. Probably before I meet my USA NP 'Golden Age' eligibility. After THAT (age 62) I will be very busy in USA parks, but not in Summer time. For many yrs I had a delivery route to Yellowstone and Black Hills + I grew up in touristy Estes Park, Colorado. I know WHERE I like to spend my summers, and it is not THERE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel