Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,766 times

Advertisements

When you say "" explain Disney" I think about Disney Land, that is one of the most wonderful park all over the world. It is really great for kids as well as adults. It opened first time on July 17th. 1955. Nowadays, Disney land is a famous destination which every one want to go once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,188,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Just curious, why did you tell OP to avoid the Value properties? I've never stayed at them, but just wondering.
Probably because they're usually overrun with groups and tons of shrieking kids. Not the most relaxing of places to stay. I'd recommend the Contemporary Hotel if budget allows, followed by the mid-scale Port Orleans or if going budget check out the Hilton or Buena Vista Palace in Lake Buena Vista right across from Downtown Disney. Many of the Disney resorts are fairly far removed from the park and if using the shuttles can take up to an hour to/from the hotel so staying as close to the park as possible (or actually in the park) makes for the most relaxing trip possible.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 AM

3,613 posts, read 7,957,759 times
> Nowadays, Disney land is a famous destination which every one want to go once.

I'd rather go to the Magic Theatre (not for everyone).

Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 AM

35,102 posts, read 57,224,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I may be roped into going to Disney World. This is something I was hoping I could avoid, but.... oh well.

So there seems to be more than one place. What would be fun for a 9-year-old to see at a Disney park in December? Would Universal Orlando be more fun? We all enjoy roller coasters...
This caught my eye. We go to Disney World every year and our kids are now teenagers. We all love it. I am not sure why some people judge WDW without ever going there. It is a great place to vacation and there is a lot to do for all ages. The rides, attractions and shows are top notch and it is always fun to see how imaginative Disney is at giving you an experience rather than just a thrill ride.

Of the four parks in WDW, a 9 year old would be most interested in Magic Kingdom. It is the park that most people think of when they think Disney. It has something for everyone. There are thrill rides (Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Slash Mountain), theme rides (Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribean, Small World, Jungle Cruise, etc.), shows (Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamborie, Mponsters Laugh Factory, etc.) and children's rides (Fantasyland).

We recently went to Disney with two other families and one of the fathers was skeptical. He had an absolute blast and probably enjoyed it more than any of us. The trick is to let yourself go and enjoy the adventure and fun. You do need to plan a bit so I would recommend reading a travel book like the Unofficial Guide to Disney World. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,682,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I may be roped into going to Disney World. This is something I was hoping I could avoid, but.... oh well.

So there seems to be more than one place. What would be fun for a 9-year-old to see at a Disney park in December? Would Universal Orlando be more fun? We all enjoy roller coasters...
In a word, exhausting!

Everything at Disney World will be fun for a 9 year old and most will be fun for all ages!
As noted already, Disney World has 4 theme parks. You can probably do 1 a day so you would need at least 4 days in Orlando to get the most out of it.

Disney World is both crowded and slow in December depending on when you go. Early December or the first two weeks are great weeks to go because the crowds are mild. Once you get close to Christmas it picks up with Christmas day being traditionally the busiest day of the year. Of course the week after Christmas leading up to New Years is packed but if done right, you can still get everything done and have a great time!

As I noted at the beginning, Disney is exhausting and there is simply no way to prepare for the amount of time your going to be on your feet moving so wear comfortable clothes and shoes (I recommend Crocs as they are the most comfortable on your feet, IMO).

Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,682,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Probably because they're usually overrun with groups and tons of shrieking kids. Not the most relaxing of places to stay. I'd recommend the Contemporary Hotel if budget allows, followed by the mid-scale Port Orleans or if going budget check out the Hilton or Buena Vista Palace in Lake Buena Vista right across from Downtown Disney. Many of the Disney resorts are fairly far removed from the park and if using the shuttles can take up to an hour to/from the hotel so staying as close to the park as possible (or actually in the park) makes for the most relaxing trip possible.
I think that really depends on the vacationer. If your going to spend MOST of your time at the Parks and only use the hotel for sleeping then the Value Resorts are a good option. But if your gonna spend a day or two around the hotel and at the hotel pool then yes, one of the moderate or deluxe resorts would be a better option. I have stayed at all 3 types of resorts (value, moderate and deluxe) and of course prefer the Deluxe but have no complaints about any.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,749,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This caught my eye. We go to Disney World every year and our kids are now teenagers. We all love it. I am not sure why some people judge WDW without ever going there. It is a great place to vacation and there is a lot to do for all ages. The rides, attractions and shows are top notch and it is always fun to see how imaginative Disney is at giving you an experience rather than just a thrill ride.

Of the four parks in WDW, a 9 year old would be most interested in Magic Kingdom. It is the park that most people think of when they think Disney. It has something for everyone. There are thrill rides (Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Slash Mountain), theme rides (Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribean, Small World, Jungle Cruise, etc.), shows (Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamborie, Mponsters Laugh Factory, etc.) and children's rides (Fantasyland).

We recently went to Disney with two other families and one of the fathers was skeptical. He had an absolute blast and probably enjoyed it more than any of us. The trick is to let yourself go and enjoy the adventure and fun. You do need to plan a bit so I would recommend reading a travel book like the Unofficial Guide to Disney World. Good luck, Jay
Thank you.
I will do my best to have a good time.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 AM

3,080 posts, read 8,045,202 times
Listen, I had fun at Disneyworld and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a bad moment was had there. My first time was age 44. Spent 2 days at MK, 1 day at Epcot, universal, animal kingdom, downtime for awhile, etc. Would go do it again except other priorities come up.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,749,842 times
The trip to the Orlando area was really enjoyable. The weather couldn't have been nicer. low 70s, low humidity, and mostly sunny.

Lots of roller coasters and other fun rides. Lots of walking. It was a good time.

Last edited by Greg_IA; 12-29-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,286,062 times
I'm 49 yrs old and have taken my wife/kids to Disneyworld for years. Now that our kids are basically on their own, my 50th birthday is next year. I am STRONGLY leaning to going to Disneyworld for it; just the wife and I. That is how much I LOVE Disneyworld. Unless you have been there and see the entire complex, its very difficult to explain. It is massive, huge, with so much to do and see, a week doesn't do it justice.

Of course, I am really only 12 years old and just enjoy it all. So, what the hell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel