Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times

Advertisements

I got my recent passport 3 years ago. I regret not getting the 52 page passport. Costs the same, but has more than double the visa pages of the 28 page passport ( 28 pages, but only 18 visa pages ). That's 24 more visa pages! Adding pages used to be free, but since 2012 ( I think ), they make you pay 82 Dollars for a few paper pages. I might as well get a new one for 110.
I can't believe they even charge 110. The passport is, in my opinion, of low quality. I always take good care of it, but it looks like it has been beaten up. A lot of wear and tear even after light use. I am disappointed. When I lived in Texas, the pages of the passport were even bending ( quite a bit ) because of the humidity. I asked other people of different nationalities and they told me that was not happening to their passports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:17 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I have never had a 52 paper passport. Although I do travel internationally, I guess it isn't frequently enough or I am not traveling to that many places that I need extra pages for so many visas in advance (that usually need separate passport pages).

Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
When i re-new'ed my son passport last year I also opted for the 52pager, He will probably never use that many pages, but it did not cost more but when i also looked at the cost to add pages later why would I not get the 52pager.

My passport is up next year, i also will get a 52 pager...

Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
It isn't as bad as it used to be.

Thanks to Schengen, you only get one stamp which covers a lot of European countries. And, with Global Entry, I don't get a US stamp when I come back home.

On the other hand, an Irish stamp takes up half a page and my Turkish one is about the same. US stamps (before I got Global Entry) take up a page and a half. Given that the authorities have all of our info before we fly, do they really need to stamp our passports?

Still, it is prudent to get the 52 pager I think.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:37 AM

It's valid for 10 years, you never know where you're gonna go. Besides, it's more than double the regular passport - for free.
Many countries still require a visa so that they can extort some money from you
I always even ask them to stamp my passport when entering the U.S. I like them. And it serves somewhat as a timeline. You'll know when you left what country etc.
I wouldn't add visa pages. It looks cheap and unprofessional. It just dosen't look good.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:27 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
It's valid for 10 years, you never know where you're gonna go. Besides, it's more than double the regular passport - for free.
Many countries still require a visa so that they can extort some money from you
I always even ask them to stamp my passport when entering the U.S. I like them. And it serves somewhat as a timeline. You'll know when you left what country etc.
I wouldn't add visa pages. It looks cheap and unprofessional. It just dosen't look good.
Well, we do it to them.

You don't need a visa for Chile & Argentina but you do need to pay a 'reciprocity fee' which is equivalent to what the US charges their citizens for a visa.

Personally, I'm not bothered about stamps. I just want to get through immigration fast and without hassle.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well, we do it to them.

You don't need a visa for Chile & Argentina but you do need to pay a 'reciprocity fee' which is equivalent to what the US charges their citizens for a visa.

Personally, I'm not bothered about stamps. I just want to get through immigration fast and without hassle.
That's not the same at all. They have to go to the embassy, submit documents, most have an interview etc. They actually do something for the money they charge.
Most other countries just require visas to get money. For that reason, Vietnam is currently considering ending the visa free travel for some countries, because they lose money this way ( they specifically state this reason ). It's not just Vietnam. It's a bunch of other countries, too.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
That's not the same at all. They have to go to the embassy, submit documents, most have an interview etc. They actually do something for the money they charge.
Most other countries just require visas to get money. For that reason, Vietnam is currently considering ending the visa free travel for some countries, because they lose money this way ( they specifically state this reason ). It's not just Vietnam. It's a bunch of other countries, too.
So how does that work? You just show a valid passport? No entry/exit stamp or anything?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
So how does that work? You just show a valid passport? No entry/exit stamp or anything?
How does what work? They just get a certain amount of days they can stay without a visa. Works the same way.... just the stamps.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Interesting. Didn't know that about the 28 and 52 page books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel