Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 03:10 PM

62 posts, read 282,138 times

Advertisements

Would it be safe to assume that when you name your own price you are going to get put on the lowest fares that are available?

If I do a regular search with priceline for my destination there are fares ranging from $285-$2000+. So if I was to bid I assume the flights they would choose from would be from the lower price range?

We are pretty flexable with our days but I am concerned about getting some weird flight that has us going way far out of the way. FYI we are flying from Maui to Medford, Or. Most flights seem to go from Maui to Seattle to Medford. Some also have a layover in Portland. There are no direct flights so we are prepared for layovers. I suppose they could give us some weird overnight layover....anyone have this happen?

It seems like the more exspensive flights are the ones that go thru places like LAX, then Utah etc....one even goes to Dallas. It seems like the cheapest fares are all go a more direct route. The more exspensive go to crazy places first.....

We are traveling with 6 kids (yep, I said 6 )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 04:13 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,512 times
I have been ripped of by Priceline in the past, I thought the name your own price thing would really work and be quite helpful. At first I was excited to get a price for a flight from Chicago to Washington DC. for $60 off the price listed on the priceline site. But when I checked the actual airlines website, it turns out I coud have got the flight for $100 cheaper.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,495 times
I bring up browsers for
Travelocity/Cheaptickets/Hotwire/Expedia

then airline sites such as Southwest/Jetblue/Airtran, etc

Then I compare them to Priceline. Whatever the lowest price is, I do a 'bid' for half that and then I work up to that price in a few tries....more than that it locks me out.

Sometimes I just buy straight from an airline IF the price is about the same.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:28 PM

201 posts, read 656,197 times
actually, the news here in houston profiled a site called yapta- it apparently gets you a good deal AND alerts you if the prices on the tickets drop (thus entitling you to a refund of the difference- usually given in airline vouchers). When the prices do drop, it tells you how to go about getting the difference

Old 09-11-2008, 04:47 PM

45 posts, read 145,174 times
I have had success with priceline, but only when schedule is not an issue. I always travel the day before and leave the day after I really wantto. That way if they send me out at 6 am , I still had a full day the day before.

I have never bid on a fligt that did not send me direct.

I hate layovers.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM

62 posts, read 282,138 times
Thank you for your responses

What I was trying to get at is that in reasearching my flight choices to Medford the cheapest flights actually have the best route (even with a layover in Seattle). The most exspensive flights seem to go from Maui to Lax to Dallas then to Medford. Or Maui to Kona to Pheonix to Medford.

The cheaper flights go from Maui to Seattle, maybe Portland, then to Medford. At best I will still have at least one layover to switch to a smaller plane to fly into Medford.

So when you bid on Priceline do they pick from the cheapest flights? I would guess they would. Or do they stick you on crazy routes because, although more exspensive, they are less desired routes?

Whew I am confusing myself, lol. Does anyone kwim?

Old 09-12-2008, 03:19 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,512 times
Often crazy routes, Im assuming its one Alaska Airlines to Medford, and if they have you switch airlines in the middle you must go through sercurity again if you have checked luggage.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:16 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times
actually you can check your luggage through to your destination when changing airlines during the trip. I live in Alaska and use Alaska Air all the time but once in the lower 48 I will often use other airlines. To avoid security check and baggage recovery I simply tell them to check luggage all the way to final destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Often crazy routes, Im assuming its one Alaska Airlines to Medford, and if they have you switch airlines in the middle you must go through sercurity again if you have checked luggage.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 AM

983 posts, read 4,442,807 times
OP it's hard to predict. Priceline will get you on whichever airline excepts yr bid. Priceline is trying to have a great rep so they are not trying to send you around the world and back just to get to Oregon. I bidded on Priceline and got a non stop flight on American from LAX to DFW. The best thing about Priceline is being flexible with yr travel times. So then the only thing that matters is getting a fare that you want.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 AM

3,665 posts, read 8,667,194 times
I always get the best deals from my local low fare travel agent. They are always cheaper than any site I have checked online. We went to CA from MN this past June, roundtrip 6 tickets plus two kids under 2. Total cost was under $1200
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel