Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,749,555 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago and I'm frikkin dying over here. I moved here two years ago from the south and this winter has been brutal. Just the worst.

I'm starting a new job soon and am off for two weeks right now. I feel like I should take a short trip to MIA...I don't know when is the next time I'll have two weeks off. It would be soooo awesome to get a short break from this scenery, and to clear my mind before starting the next job. Also my depression is really really bad right now and I'm hoping some sun would help

My issue is budget...I have $700 total to spend. I'm thinking $300 for flight, $300 for hotel, and $100 for food/going out. I would mainly just chill on the beach. With this budget I can only do like 2 1/2 days. Does this seem not worth even doing for the amount I'd be spending? Also, I can't find any flights that cheap for the weekend. I'd have to do a trip where I leave on a Monday and come back on a Wed night :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,421,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I live in Chicago and I'm frikkin dying over here. I moved here two years ago from the south and this winter has been brutal. Just the worst.

I'm starting a new job soon and am off for two weeks right now. I feel like I should take a short trip to MIA...I don't know when is the next time I'll have two weeks off. It would be soooo awesome to get a short break from this scenery, and to clear my mind before starting the next job. Also my depression is really really bad right now and I'm hoping some sun would help

My issue is budget...I have $700 total to spend. I'm thinking $300 for flight, $300 for hotel, and $100 for food/going out. I would mainly just chill on the beach. With this budget I can only do like 2 1/2 days. Does this seem not worth even doing for the amount I'd be spending? Also, I can't find any flights that cheap for the weekend. I'd have to do a trip where I leave on a Monday and come back on a Wed night :/
for 2.5 days? stay at a cheaper hotel a few blocks from the beach and eat cheap at hole in the wall places by the beach.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:

Why would you spend so much on a hotel? lol

Old 03-06-2014, 09:36 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:

There are better "chill out" beaches then Miami, as you have all the stresses of a big metropolitan area as well. Other places may be cheaper as well.
If you want florida - maybe further up the coast, or the west coast (as long as you don't mind sharing the beaches with the cast from "The Golden Girls").

Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Why would you spend so much on a hotel? lol
I don't want to but it's high season in Miami right now and I don't know many hotels over 2.5 stars that are coming in less than low hundreds per night. I mean, I plan on bidding on the hotel do maybe it'll come in cheaper but I was accounting for if it didn't.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times
Quote:

Hey buddy, i know how you feel.
i did a bit of searching for you and found the following....which i think is a better deal for you than going to MIA for 2 1/2 days.

take a look:

3 nights 4 days in Cancun. Direct flight included from MDW. All inclusive hotel. for $775
Source: Expedia
I'm sure you can search around and find even better deals.

MDW 7:03 AM CUN 9:41 AM Nonstop 3h 38m
CUN 10:35 AM MDW 3:12 PM Nonstop 3h 37m

Hotel: All inclusive Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas

Price: $775

Good luck.
Ps. I noticed that at checkout, they'll take another 100 off if you open a Credit Card with them. The total will then be around $670

Old 03-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Hey buddy, i know how you feel.
i did a bit of searching for you and found the following....which i think is a better deal for you than going to MIA for 2 1/2 days.

take a look:

3 nights 4 days in Cancun. Direct flight included from MDW. All inclusive hotel. for $775
Source: Expedia
I'm sure you can search around and find even better deals.

MDW 7:03 AM CUN 9:41 AM Nonstop 3h 38m
CUN 10:35 AM MDW 3:12 PM Nonstop 3h 37m

Hotel: All inclusive Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas

Price: $775

Good luck.
Ps. I noticed that at checkout, they'll take another 100 off if you open a Credit Card with them. The total will then be around $670

Awww thank you so much for looking into that for me. I will take a look into this. Miami was really my preference but I'm open if I can get something for a longer number of days and still within budget.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:50 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times
Quote:
Awww thank you so much for looking into that for me. I will take a look into this. Miami was really my preference but I'm open if I can get something for a longer number of days and still within budget.
You are welcome.
Also look into Punta Cana, La Romana, Puerta Valerta, and Puerto Rico, although i doubt you'd find direct flights there...and nothing beats a direct flight like the one i showed you to cancun. with so little time you have (3 nights), the less you can spend in transit the better.

Best of luck and enjoy your getaway!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
I lived in Miami, I would second on the all inclusive for 775 over the trip to Miami.

One thing about Miami.. it is ALWAYS more expensive than you budget.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I lived in Miami, I would second on the all inclusive for 775 over the trip to Miami.

One thing about Miami.. it is ALWAYS more expensive than you budget.
Agreed, especially if you just want to chill on the beach. Miami beaches are great but right now they are packed too. I guess Cancun would be packed too but it's a much better deal and IMO a better place to just chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel