Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:21 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Try doing that someplace like French Polynesia where hotels operate at 100% capacity. They'll laugh in your face and tell you to enjoy sleeping on a park bench.
The OP asked about Europe, and seemed more specifically Paris; many posters here stated you cannot ever check-in early, I replied yes you can as I always do this when traveling to Europe. Paris is full of hotels where you can check in early.

As I mentioned, if the place is full, obviously cannot check-in early, which will be the case in during the high season in smaller destinations. But contrary to the claims here by some posters, yes, it is possible to check-in early, especially in large cities.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:18 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The OP asked about Europe, and seemed more specifically Paris; many posters here stated you cannot ever check-in early, I replied yes you can as I always do this when traveling to Europe. Paris is full of hotels where you can check in early.

As I mentioned, if the place is full, obviously cannot check-in early, which will be the case in during the high season in smaller destinations. But contrary to the claims here by some posters, yes, it is possible to check-in early, especially in large cities.
Right; but you won't know that until you get there. Sure, you can ask the hotel before you travel whether early check-in is available, but they'll most likely tell you yes if there's a room available. Which you won't know until you get there.

The only way to be sure of having a room available early is to book it for the night before and let the hotel know that you won't be checking in until the morning.

And I am sure the O.P. isn't overstating the acute discomfort of arriving in Europe early in the morning, desperate for sleep. This happened to me every time I went to Europe. I cannot sleep on an airplane, and if I take drugs or alcohol then I arrive in Europe not only exhausted but groggy or hung over.

Which is why I've called a halt to flying anywhere overnight. Just not gonna do it anymore.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

How do you survive when you first get to Europe at 7AM and have to walk the street for 8 hours before you can get into your hotel room?
This is ridiculous. You include the night before you arrive as part of your stay, so you have somewhere to sleep when you get there.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,953 times
Did the 'otel not have a 'obby? I would have sat in the 'obby until my 'oom was 'eady.
If I fell asleep and they did not like it, I would decla'ration in my strongest Yank accent "Je suey tray fat tea gay!"

Also, le seasoned traveler packs le plugs du 'earing 'oles and perhaps a few pair to give away...

Toot Alors!

Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

It depends on the hotel. My guess is that you aren't terribly picky.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
But we went for the sunshine not the theme parks. We wanted to go back to palm beach but my dad insisted on the theme parks.

We chose Ginn Reunion because we wanted loads of amenities. We also wanted somewhere where we could have a house and not a stupid resort full of English people.
Ironically, many of the people around here live in gated communities that don't allow short term rentals to keep the Brits and Irish out.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Exactly. They got at me for saying that it is a hassle to go from America to UK saying that I was whining and ungrateful when they don't realise the hassle that it is and measure disruption it causes to my sleeping pattern.

I have only ever slept on the plane once and it was only for 30 minutes. I cannot sleep upright.
Oh please. I have taken numerous trips to Europe and the Pacific islands, and I always manage at least a bit of sleep--even in a premium economy seat. As I said, if it's that big of a problem, perhaps you should just stay home from now on.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:28 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The last time I went to Europe (Paris) I took a non stop flight from the east coast of the US and arrived at about 7 AM. After making it through customs and immigration we took a bus to our hotel in central Paris. Both of us were sick tired. So tired we could hardly stand it. Neither my wife or I were able to sleep on the plane. (We dozed off a few times but always woke when someone would start talking or rammed into us as they walked down the aisle.)

Arriving at our hotel about 9 AM we wanted to go to bed in the worst way but they told us that our room was not available until about 4 PM. We asked to check into a room and we would pay for the previous night. The man at the desk acted like we were crazy and said that would be impossible because we would have to check out of our room at 11 AM (in two hours and check in again at 4 PM) We thought that was the craziest thing I had ever heard. But we got no where with him.

PLEASE... don't tell us that experts say we should just stay up until 10 PM Paris time because that will reset our body clock and if we nap or go to be when we arrive that will kill the rest of the trip. Sounds good in theory but you don't know how tired we were. (We just wanted to sleep maybe 4 hours that morning and then we could start our day.)

So we checked our bags and walked the streets of an empty Paris on a Sunday Morning in the cold rain. Nothing was open. By 4 PM we were almost suicidal from cold, wet and from being SO TIRED. Finally we got into our room and found it very uncomfortable with lots of traffic noise and sounds from the neighbors through the thin walls. The bed was harder than a rock.

How do you survive when you first get to Europe at 7AM and have to walk the street for 8 hours before you can get into your hotel room?

Is it all worth it?
It takes training Usually when I arrive in Europe I'm dead tired but I do hang out with my friends. I recommend to go eat, have some coffee, take a city bus tour, something from your to do list that doesnt require walking or physical activity. then go to the hotel an sleep.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This guy is generally not happy about ANYTHING. Every one of his posts involves whining about something or another.
Some people shouldn't leave their homes. Ever. Two of them appear to be on this thread.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
There is nothing high class near Busch Gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel