Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times

Advertisements

I am going to the Mexican Caribbean coast on a vacation. While there I will go on sightseeing trips to the Mayan pyramids too. The sun is burning there, the weather is very hot and humid, they say there are mosquitoes too. So, for the sun and mosquitoes long pants and long sleeve shirts would be recommended, for the heat it would require short sleeve shirts and shorts or tank tops.
I recently saw in the sports shop, that there are these long sleeve "workout t-shirts" or "running t-shirts". They are made for heavy perspiration during a short workout. Would they be good for all day wear in hot climate without workout? Traditional cotton shirts would soak up a lot of sweat, as tourists sweat like crazy when travelling to the tropics. Changing shirts every half an hour is not an option.

What do you wear in the tropics? Short or long sleeve, short or long pants, cotton or plastic-workout-materials?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I wear long pants, long sleeve lightweight shirt and a wide brimmed hat. I sunburn easily and also subject to skin cancer. The Caribbean is a sunburn/uv/skin cancer haven.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:34 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
The weather isn't that extreme in Yucatan Mexico at all, I doubt it's anything you've never experienced. What kind of answer were you expecting? The answer is obvious: whatever feels comfortable and sun block.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
It's the eternal question. I am lucky not to sunburn much and to have a skin that turns directly a plaesant brown in the sun. And I love it to feel the sun on my skin. So usually I dress the bare minimum when I do visits of historical places in the tropics, which isn't much of a problem in Mexico (where however some stupid female stared at me because I went swimming with my speedos), but in Thailand it's a big problem, because in that traditional society one has to cover up to visit holy shrines, temples, palaces, etc, -which is a pain in the ass, to put it bluntly.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I am going to the Mexican Caribbean coast on a vacation. While there I will go on sightseeing trips to the Mayan pyramids too. The sun is burning there, the weather is very hot and humid, they say there are mosquitoes too. So, for the sun and mosquitoes long pants and long sleeve shirts would be recommended, for the heat it would require short sleeve shirts and shorts or tank tops.
I recently saw in the sports shop, that there are these long sleeve "workout t-shirts" or "running t-shirts". They are made for heavy perspiration during a short workout. Would they be good for all day wear in hot climate without workout? Traditional cotton shirts would soak up a lot of sweat, as tourists sweat like crazy when travelling to the tropics. Changing shirts every half an hour is not an option.

What do you wear in the tropics? Short or long sleeve, short or long pants, cotton or plastic-workout-materials?
Take a 25% DEET bug spray, that problem is solved.

Wear comfortable cotton shorts, sports sandals, and either a tek shirt (UnderArmor are the best IMHO) or a comfortable lightweight cotton/linen blend shirt.

Before you get dressed in the morning, liberally apply a good sunscreen. I have had two doctors suggest that the Neutrogena waterproof sports spray on is the best out there, as it protects against both spectrums. Don't forget the back of your neck and tops of your feet.

Wear a hat with a brim wide enough to keep the sun off your ears, nose, and the back of your neck. Wear UV blocking sunglasses, a sports/wrap around style won't let stray rays in.

Personally, I think you are over thinking this.

It's a lot hotter in Modesto and Paso than in the Yucatan, and there are breezes coming off the water in the part of Mexico you are visiting that help keep it cooler.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
It's the eternal question. I am lucky not to sunburn much and to have a skin that turns directly a plaesant brown in the sun. And I love it to feel the sun on my skin. So usually I dress the bare minimum when I do visits of historical places in the tropics, which isn't much of a problem in Mexico (where however some stupid female stared at me because I went swimming with my speedos), but in Thailand it's a big problem, because in that traditional society one has to cover up to visit holy shrines, temples, palaces, etc, -which is a pain in the ass, to put it bluntly.
If you were visiting Mayan ruins in a Speedo, I'd be staring too.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Clothing =
http://kellyoconnell.org/wp-content/...US-Tourist.jpg

For the bugs =
http://www.rei.com/zoom/cc/63029eba-...e5545c.jpg/440

Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post

I would not even consider anything other than short sleeves and shorts or mid length pants when sight seeing especially in the summer months. Just be sure to use a lot of sun screen and bug stray.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:40 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I use hiking pants and quick dry LS shirts. Long and long, though the pants can be converted to shorts. Anytime I go to Asian, Central America, or South American rainforests this is what I wear.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:29 AM

95 posts, read 129,754 times
I think the shirts you are speaking of, are Under Armor shirts. If you don't plan on purchasing bug spray and you burn easily.. then yes wear pants and a long sleeve shirt. Due to the temp and humidity at that time of the year, an under armor like shirt with wicking properties would be ideal. As for pants, something light weight and breaths well is going to be ideal. There are some cargo style lightweight pants out there, than will zip off into shorts. A wide brim hat would also be ideal for some of the tours you plan on going on. The closer you get to the equator.. the less forgiving the sun will be.

Take a backpack with water, bug spray and sun screen and use/consume all of them regularly. Keep in mind, just because it saws it is waterproof or sweat proof, does not mean you shouldn't re-apply it ever few hours. Lastly, enjoy yourself. I have been many places in the middle of the summer where the temps are high and so is the humidity. Sometimes that sticky feeling and often the suffocating feeling of the heat can become distracting from the wonderful things around me. Proper attire and hydration will help with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel