Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:24 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'll be traveling to Europe late summer this year and I need some fresh info. My last international flight was back in 2008.

Want to skip the checked bag and stick with just my carry on. Which toiletries and grooming products can I bring on board these days? What is not allowed?

Will be going out for meals - casual, formal, and in between. What wardrobe suggestions to keep pieces to a minimum?

For beach - appropriate to wear which of the following for a woman - Speedo racing swim suit, rash guard, aqua sock, pareo, something else?

Quantum Splice Super Pro Back - Performance - Speedo USA Swimwear

Body Glove Women's Basic L/S Fitted Rashguard at SwimOutlet.com

O'Neill Women's Basic Skins S/S Crew Rashguard at SwimOutlet.com - Free Shipping

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F9MiS-w9LU...Tenggol_12.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...306d815ee4.jpg

Ok, hope someone can provide some tips and info - reps from me for everyone who posts as I always do in CDF land.

Happy Fourth of July to all who celebrate - time to go fire up the 'que!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:44 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
If I were you I could check a suitcase. Even if you don't fill it on the way there, you will probably bring back a lot of souvenirs.

Besides, if you're speding $1500 on a plane ticket, what's another $50?

Old 07-04-2014, 04:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Just got back from Europe at 3am this morning.

Carry on, for us, is the ONLY way to go, for a variety of reasons.

On the way out, we were asked if we wanted to be rerouted on Air France's A380 and we did not hesitate to say yes.
It helped that we just had carry-on. On the way back, weather delays were a problem and we were glad that we had our bags with us--we were able to hop on a new flight at the last minute.

Security is heightened right now. Packing simply makes it all go faster. Remember the rules about liquids. We were gone almost 3 weeks and I had plenty of toiletries.
If you stay in a nice hotel they might provide you with more.

All your swimwear looks fine. Pareos are good to have, and versatile. Swim shoes/aquasocks can be good in Greece and Croatia or anywhere else that's rocky or might have sea urchins.

I tend to wear a lot of beige, cream and black and spice it up with more colorful accessories, but I'm old and I am sure you can come up with more exciting fashion ideas.

Sometimes I only take two pairs of shoes, but it being summer I had some lightweight footwear and managed to bring 3 pairs.

Happy planning!

Old 07-04-2014, 05:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I travel carry on only, no problems. What you are suggesting for a bathing suit is fine.

You can pack ONE 1-Quart Ziplock bag as full as you want as long as it will close, however now bottle can hold more than 3.2 ounces/100 ml.

Solids like stick deodorant and soap don't need to go into the Ziplock.

As far as souvenirs, think small and light. Silk scarves, jewelry.

Use black and tan for all bottoms and bring tops that match all bottoms for color. Two pair slacks, two skirts, two pair of shorts and half a dozen tops in easy care fabrics are all you need. Wash things out and let them dry over night.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
For most airlines, you still get one bag free for transatlantic flights, so it might not be the worst thing to check a bag to have that flexibility if you decide you're going to bring a few bottles of wine back with you.

As far as toiletries, I actually think it's kind of fun to hit a foreign drug store or grocery store for shampoo and such if I'm not happy with the hotel amenities. (And yes, I even found my slightly obscure contact lens solution I'd forgotten to pack at a Tesco; most of the personal care companies these days are international conglomerates and supply stores with a mix of global and regional brands.)

If you're thinking Mediterranean, unless it's like Turkey, women often wear less over there than they do here, and topless beaches in some areas are pretty common. Just have a nice cover-up for stopping off for ice cream when you're heading back from the beach.

Always bring 2-3 more pair of underwear than you think you need. It lets you delay having to do anything about laundry for a few extra days when you're not motivated to mess with it and nylon or tech fabric ones take up almost no space in your bag.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
All great posts so far, thanks everyone and reps have been added.

This trip isn't a souvenir gathering trip, so not concerned about that. I too enjoy the flexibility of packing light.

Will be shopping for some 100ml flaçons. Good to know the deo and soap don't count towards the ziplock bag. Anyone can recommend a good source for empty 100ml bottles?

I like the idea of separates that can be coordinated to each other. Will be packing extra undies for sure.

Went ahead and got the swimsuit, I already got the rash guards and the rest. Now going to work out the wardrobe.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
I just buy those travel toiletry kits in the pharmacy section of grocery stores. They are around $10 or so and I am still using the same one from my last trip. They slide easily in to my one carry-on sized back bag. I think nothing liquid can exceed 100ml in capacity on the plane, if you want to DIY.

I had a couple of these containers, but they were stolen from me in Mexico. Probably because they were great and leakproof.
humangear - GoToob

Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 AM

556 posts, read 946,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
All great posts so far, thanks everyone and reps have been added.

This trip isn't a souvenir gathering trip, so not concerned about that. I too enjoy the flexibility of packing light.

Will be shopping for some 100ml flaçons. Good to know the deo and soap don't count towards the ziplock bag. Anyone can recommend a good source for empty 100ml bottles?

I like the idea of separates that can be coordinated to each other. Will be packing extra undies for sure.

Went ahead and got the swimsuit, I already got the rash guards and the rest. Now going to work out the wardrobe.

Thanks again everyone!
I love, love, love my go toobs (humangear - GoToob). They used to be online and at REI only, but I've seen them at Target in recent years. There are knock-off versions, but I can only endorse the original. They do not leak. I have several of the 2 oz bottles with suction cups - they're great in small bathrooms or showers with limited shelf space. I did a carry-on-only trip to Spain and Portugal last year, and easily fit 10 days worth of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and face wash in the 2 oz bottles. The only draw back - there are some products that will damage/dissolve the silicone bottles, mainly silicone based hair products, so make sure you read the list on their website.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:17 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I heard now when you return from Europe, they will require all passengers to power up any electronic items....for all international flights returning to the U.S. There is some new threat recently. Is this right?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I heard now when you return from Europe, they will require all passengers to power up any electronic items....for all international flights returning to the U.S. There is some new threat recently. Is this right?
yup they have to power on when requested so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel