Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:54 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,585,498 times

Advertisements

Question: I am flying out of Milwaukee to Nicaragua. There is a layover in Atlanta that is 45 minutes. Now, I'm assuming I will NOT have to pick up my luggage in Atlanta, correct? I'm assuming Milwaukee will tag it all the way through to Nicaragua. I'm really hoping so because if I have to claim my luggage before boarding my flight to Nicaragua, I'm screwed. There will not be enough time. Anyway, is 45 mins enough time to make it to the international terminal for my flight? I've only been in the Atlanta airport once & that was domestic so I have no idea the layout. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 03:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,120,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Question: I am flying out of Milwaukee to Nicaragua. There is a layover in Atlanta that is 45 minutes. Now, I'm assuming I will NOT have to pick up my luggage in Atlanta, correct? I'm assuming Milwaukee will tag it all the way through to Nicaragua. I'm really hoping so because if I have to claim my luggage before boarding my flight to Nicaragua, I'm screwed. There will not be enough time. Anyway, is 45 mins enough time to make it to the international terminal for my flight? I've only been in the Atlanta airport once & that was domestic so I have no idea the layout. Thanks!
When you check it at MKE make sure it's tagged all the way to your final destination. There should be no reason to pick it up if your travel is all on the same ticket.

IMHO, 45 minutes is not enough time to transverse ATL for an international flight. I'm not sure it's even legal at ATL--I thought it was an hour for domestic to international. If so, the carrier is obligated to change you to different flights at no cost.

If you have booked two separate tickets, it's on you. I hope you have your OJ Simpson shoes on.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
When you check it at MKE make sure it's tagged all the way to your final destination. There should be no reason to pick it up if your travel is all on the same ticket.

IMHO, 45 minutes is not enough time to transverse ATL for an international flight. I'm not sure it's even legal at ATL--I thought it was an hour for domestic to international. If so, the carrier is obligated to change you to different flights at no cost.

If you have booked two separate tickets, it's on you. I hope you have your OJ Simpson shoes on.
Yeah I don't know, I booked my RT tix on travelocity. Arrival in ATL at 5:00 p.m, depart ATL at 5:45 p.m. Isn't there a train that transports people to the international terminal? Hmmm, maybe I should call Delta and see what is up. At least you confirmed I shouldn't have to pick up my luggage which is what I was really worried about.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:25 PM

826 posts, read 1,130,237 times
45 minutes is pretty tight in ATL. Its easy to navigate (google for a terminal map) with an underground train connecting all terminals, but if you come into or go out of the far end of a concourse you do have to some walking. ATL is also notorious for long taxi times and gate delays. Since you are flying Delta you can come in and out of any of the concourses, but you will likely be flying into concourse A - D or T, and going out of E or F. But there is no hard and fast rules, other than intl flights always arrive at E or F for customs. In a few hundred trips through ATL, I have had intl flights leave from domestic gates and domestic flights arrive at the intl gates and depart from intl gates. Personally I would try to avoid that short of layover on an International flight, as there is generally only 1 flight a day, so if you miss it your stuck for 24 hours or longer.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
45 minutes is pretty tight in ATL. Its easy to navigate (google for a terminal map) with an underground train connecting all terminals, but if you come into or go out of the far end of a concourse you do have to some walking. ATL is also notorious for long taxi times and gate delays. Since you are flying Delta you can come in and out of any of the concourses, but you will likely be flying into concourse A - D or T, and going out of E or F. But there is no hard and fast rules, other than intl flights always arrive at E or F for customs. In a few hundred trips through ATL, I have had intl flights leave from domestic gates and domestic flights arrive at the intl gates and depart from intl gates. Personally I would try to avoid that short of layover on an International flight, as there is generally only 1 flight a day, so if you miss it your stuck for 24 hours or longer.
Lol, well the ticket is already booked. I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers & hope I can navigate like a ninja.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM

986 posts, read 1,668,818 times
Agreed that 45 minutes is tight to go cross terminal in ATL. I hope you're a runner!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 PM

Now you guys are making me nervous. How the hell am I supposed to know where I'm going on such tight notice???

Old 08-04-2014, 03:47 PM

826 posts, read 1,130,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Now you guys are making me nervous. How the hell am I supposed to know where I'm going on such tight notice???
There should be a monitor with connecting flight info right after you get off the jet bridge. If you have a smartphone you may want to consider getting the delta app so you can check gate info as your taxing into ATL. You can also have them send you text messages for your flight status. (Delta Messenger Flight Notifications & Alerts | Delta Air Lines)

If your seat is in the back of the plane for the flight to ATL, you may want to consider paying the premium for an economy comfort seat so you can get off the flight quickly. Not to make you more nervous but I would consider packing a change of clothes in the carry on, you could make the connection, but your bag may not.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM

3,610 posts, read 7,944,007 times
The people who sold you the ticket think that you will be able to make the flight if everything is normal. USUALLY it is possible to check your luggage through to its final destination (including international).

Your main problem will be if there are any delays. Often international flights are a bit slower to close the doors. So just because your first flight is a little late don't immediately assume all is lost.

I have made international connections with a similar amount of time between flights, although I prefer not to cut it quite that close.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 PM

86 posts, read 126,610 times
I always give myself a 1.5-2hr layover at the minimum to avoid something like that. If you're delayed out of MKE you could be in big trouble. I once was delayed out of Louisville (SDF) to Chicago O'hare and when we got to ORD, I had 21 minutes to sprint to the next plane on the other end of the airport since I was switching carriers. Luckily there was a small delay on that flight so I made it just in time, but my bags were not so lucky.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel