Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

With barebones airliners popping up all over Europe in the last two decades, I wonder if the idea has been applied to lodging yet. Imagine a hotel stripped to its barest, with every luxury costing extra. '

It would be named "Motel 4", and it would advertise $4 / night, no matter what.

For $4 / night, you get a tiny room with a fold-down mattress, a faucet, a toilet, a sheet, a pillow, and a shelf to put your stuff on. There would be complimentary USB charging of phones, but plugging things in costs $1 / kWh.

At $4 / night, the showers are down the hall, and cost $5 for a 5-minute wash and 5 minutes after that to dress. Rooms with en-suite showers begin at $24 / night but are showers are still limited to 15 minutes per day.

There would be a 19" SD TV in all rooms, but by default the only thing you can watch are promotions for pay-per-view movies and Motel 4 commercials. Luckily, you are able to watch network TV and a limited selection of basic cable channels for $4 / hour or $10 / day. ESPN is available for another $5 / day. Movies cost between $10 and $16.

Wireless internet is free, but it's limited to just above dial-up speeds. To unlock the full speed costs $4 / hour or $10 / day.

Cleaning service is an additional $4 / day.

Booking a room carries a $4 credit card processing / transaction fee. You can also pay up-front in cash, but that requires a $4 till fee or a $4 credit card processing fee unless you use a Motel 4 Pre-Paid Visa.

Parking is a necessity as most of the hotels would be run out of abandoned malls, motels, and big-box stores. However, that would carry an additional fee, usually $10 / night.

What do you think of my proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I think you would a lot of broke kids staying there and treating the rooms like they're worth about $4.

There already are a lot of cheap, simple lodging options in Europe and elsewhere. They're called hostels.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Sounds close to Tune Hotels, but they go for a lot more than $4 equivalent in their UK properties. (Cheapest I saw was a £15 base promo rate- opening special for their Newcastle property, and even that appears effectively sold out now.)

Tune Hotels - Malaysia, Indonesia, UK, Thailand, Philippines, India, Australia, Japan

You're also going to run into health department and fire code rules about electricity and bathrooms not allowed to be optional add-ons.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
With barebones airliners popping up all over Europe in the last two decades, I wonder if the idea has been applied to lodging yet. Imagine a hotel stripped to its barest, with every luxury costing extra. '

It would be named "Motel 4", and it would advertise $4 / night, no matter what.

For $4 / night, you get a tiny room with a fold-down mattress, a faucet, a toilet, a sheet, a pillow, and a shelf to put your stuff on. There would be complimentary USB charging of phones, but plugging things in costs $1 / kWh.

At $4 / night, the showers are down the hall, and cost $5 for a 5-minute wash and 5 minutes after that to dress. Rooms with en-suite showers begin at $24 / night but are showers are still limited to 15 minutes per day.

There would be a 19" SD TV in all rooms, but by default the only thing you can watch are promotions for pay-per-view movies and Motel 4 commercials. Luckily, you are able to watch network TV and a limited selection of basic cable channels for $4 / hour or $10 / day. ESPN is available for another $5 / day. Movies cost between $10 and $16.

Wireless internet is free, but it's limited to just above dial-up speeds. To unlock the full speed costs $4 / hour or $10 / day.

Cleaning service is an additional $4 / day.

Booking a room carries a $4 credit card processing / transaction fee. You can also pay up-front in cash, but that requires a $4 till fee or a $4 credit card processing fee unless you use a Motel 4 Pre-Paid Visa.

Parking is a necessity as most of the hotels would be run out of abandoned malls, motels, and big-box stores. However, that would carry an additional fee, usually $10 / night.

I think what would end up being spent for nothing (at your place) I could spend for something at a place that is nice and not a cheap flop house.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
I think this proposal is an IDEAL way to lose a lot of money.

People who stay at a $4 hotel will TREAT IT like a $4 hotel. I think you would have better luck with Japan's capsule hotels. But I have a feeling the capsule hotel idea only works in Japan, which is far and away the most conspicuously clean place on Earth.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I think you would a lot of broke kids staying there and treating the rooms like they're worth about $4.

There already are a lot of cheap, simple lodging options in Europe and elsewhere. They're called hostels.
That's exactly what I thought of.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Your competition would be couchsurfing.com (free), hostels ($15 or so in the US) and airbnb.com (about $30 in cities). Are you better than them, for the money?

You would not get any female travelers if your abandoned malls didn't have a lot of security.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
I think the skepticism here is because of jealousy of not coming up with this idea.

Things can be made secure so they are hard or virtually impossible to break.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I think the skepticism here is because of jealousy of not coming up with this idea.

Things can be made secure so they are hard or virtually impossible to break.
Not a chance of jealously here and things cannot be made that secure unless you want to go to jail which you pretty much get the same thing, sink, toity, a thing that is supposed to be a bed, a sheet, a pillow and you get to stay there for free and they feed you, sort of.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I'm sure Tune, who does a variation of your idea throughout SE Asia and in parts of the UK and Australia, has run the numbers to see what their price point would have to be for the concept to work in North America, and $4 isn't it for a base room rate. Think more $25-$30 before add-ons and entirely up to relevant building codes for lodging in each state they operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel