Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 AM

16,130 posts, read 10,801,858 times

Advertisements

My list of six fantasy trips

Ethiopia for Easter or Christmas...probably spend 10 days or so touring.
A train trip along the Silk Road through central Asia...there's one from Moscow to Beijing.
A trip to Mediterranean islands -- Crete, Aegean islands, Minorca....whatever (suggestions?)
Small boat sailing trip through the Caribbean....I know nothing about sailing.
Long trek fly fishing trip -- Patagonia? Montana? BC? Siberia?
Luxury Baltic cruise....St. Petersburg, Finland, Baltic States, Gdansk, Sweden...Denmark?
(I'm not much of a cruise fan so I might do an alternative to the cruise...maybe train and ferry connections?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:56 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,582,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My list of six fantasy trips

Ethiopia for Easter or Christmas...probably spend 10 days or so touring.
A train trip along the Silk Road through central Asia...there's one from Moscow to Beijing.
A trip to Mediterranean islands -- Crete, Aegean islands, Minorca....whatever (suggestions?)
Small boat sailing trip through the Caribbean....I know nothing about sailing.
Long trek fly fishing trip -- Patagonia? Montana? BC? Siberia?
Luxury Baltic cruise....St. Petersburg, Finland, Baltic States, Gdansk, Sweden...Denmark?
(I'm not much of a cruise fan so I might do an alternative to the cruise...maybe train and ferry connections?)
Haha, I have no idea how to sail either but I've always wanted to do it. That & taking a road trip all the way down to South America. Maybe unwise I don't know but interesting nonetheless. Also doing one of those motorcycle trips like Ewan McGregor & his friend did in the reality shows "Long Way Down" & "Long Way Around". Lots of preparation but it'd be worth it I would think. I also want to do a road trip across the U.S. I drove from WI to Long Beach, CA but I was on a mission to get there so I didn't savor it, both there or back. This time I'd like to meander for awhile & also head east.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,353,291 times
- Trekking in Bhutan
- Trans-Siberian/Mongolian Railway
- Guided tour through North Korea
- Backpacking in China
- Backpacking in Myanmar/Burma
- Tibet
- Borneo
- Roadtrip through Ireland (I've only seen Dublin and places nearby)
- Roadtrip through Norway (Only been to Finnmark)
- Africa: Now, seeing some wildlife would be nice. I'm not sure, if I really want to go there (notice: I never really thought about which country I want to go to) on my own, though. Without guides and all. And I'm pretty sure that I'd hate guided tours.
- Jordan: Petra was always fascinating to me. Downside: Maaany tourists.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:00 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,750,102 times
Wow, some fabulous sounding trips on this thread! I think my bucket list just got a little longer!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,967,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Oh, and my bucket list, such as it is, most of which are probably pipe dreams at this point:

- Galapagos haven't been there yet
- Egypt very very interesting, been there twice, but this might not be the best time to visit
- Angkor Wat (just missed it last year) Fantastic! I highly recommend it ... allow 3 days to explore the complex
- New Zealand - great, very beautiful
- Upper Amazon from Peru - excellent ... I flew from Miami to Iquitos, and stayed at an Amazon camp in the forest down river from Iquitos
- African Safari haven't done that yet but exploring the Sahara was neat
I think you like the kind of 'exotic' travel I like. A suggestion: Bagan in Myanmar. One of the most extraordinary places I've seen on earth!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:36 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,065,491 times
I'm a horse racing fanatic, and I'd love to take a tour of as many Australian tracks as I could within, say, a couple months.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
I want to spend the winter holidays in Karelia, a month or so.
The Northern lights and especially the old world holiday traditions of the Orthodox Russians and Finnish people really calls to me. I'm not a big seafood lover though, thank goodness for vodka!
Why on earth? A month? Okay.

But if you want to see some Finns, you should remain on the Finnish side, as you won't find them in Russian Karelia. If I read you correctly and you want to see some true exotic Karelian traditions, I'm afraid to say you are around a 100 years late for that. Seeing the northern lights around Christmas Eve, you have around a 2 to 3% chance.

But as a plus, if you're spending a month, you have the benefit of having two Christmases, as the Russians don't celebrate it when we do, but around new year or something.

Here's a tip for you: Koli national park

Vodka is not a big part (if all) of Finnish Christmas traditions. Mulled wine is!

On my bucket list is doing the rickshaw cruise across India, and visiting Kenya.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:06 AM

388 posts, read 276,517 times
1) Trans Mongolia Train trips: St. Petersburg to Beijing, taking 17+ days. There are tours for that.
2) Cruise to/around Antarctica with trips around southern Argentina/Chile
3) Train trip from London to the far east; almost all of that possible on trains alone.
4) The 180 Day Oceana Cruises World Cruise
5) Climbing Kilimanjaro (the highest altitude I could ever go: any higher peaks elsewhere are probably too much for me).
6) A tour of North Korea [**added as Edit**]
7) Live in Barrow, Alaska during winter [**added as Edit**]

Last edited by meengla; 10-24-2014 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: added more after #5

Old 10-24-2014, 10:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Valley of the Kings -- Egypt
Curacao
Greek Islands
Nice, France
Norwegian fjords
St. Petersburg, Russia
Tokyo
London
Paris
Venice
Mt. Everest

Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 AM

388 posts, read 276,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
- Guided tour through North Korea
I forgot to add that to my Bucket List. Yes, definitely a tour through North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel