Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 11:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
It's not just for the Bogart movie, but that is part of my interest. I have been to Tetuon. That was a neat area (and reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark) but I would love to see more of the country.
I remember seeing Patton as a kid, the movie has several scenes shot in Morocco. And George C Scott exclaims how he loves North Africa because it's a mix of the Bible and Hollywood.

That sums up my feelings exactly. When North Africa firing on all cylinders, it's a magical place. The trick is going there when there's not a rebellion or outright civil war. I made that mistake many times. No fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 12:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
People, especially European tourists seem to rave about Marrakesh. I was a bit intrigued but when I did more research, after checking out the photographs, reading travel journals and watching some videos, I really didn't find there is much so intriguing about this city.

To me, it is all about that Djemaa El-Fna square, where people perform shows and sell stuff, and the market place there you are likely to be ripped of heavily for things you don't really need. I know the The Medina has all those small alley ways where you can see craftsmen making stuff. And everything looks really run-down and chaotic. I am not saying it is not interesting, but one doesn't fly 10 hours just to see people making carpets. I watched quite some youtube videos and there doesn't seem to be anything that excites me that I have this "I want to be there" impulse.

Or I am missing something? Does Marrakesh live up to the hype?

I am interested in seeing the Sahara though.
Marrakesh is one of the most "un-European" (or "un-Western", to put it in better terms) destinations commonly reachable by low-fare European airlines. You're in for a different reality once you cross the Straights, similar to crossing the American-Mexican border, perhaps a little more extreme.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Marrakesh is one of the most "un-European" (or "un-Western", to put it in better terms) destinations commonly reachable by low-fare European airlines. You're in for a different reality once you cross the Straights, similar to crossing the American-Mexican border, perhaps a little more extreme.
I can appreciate the fact the Morocco is different from Europe. But I am not from Europe, and I have lived in/visited developing countries, including poor ones (such as sub-Sahara). So just being different from rich countries is not a good enough reason to travel.

My question is more about what particularly exciting to see or experience in Marrakesh. Considering it is a good 10 hour flight for me, and I don't have any budget light options (most likely cost $1000+), I expect something deeply memorable - in the good way.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:36 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Well we're now three pages in & you're still asking what is special about the place, enough for you to endure a 10 hour flight. If you had read the responses you could've made up your mind by now.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:35 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
People, especially European tourists seem to rave about Marrakesh. I was a bit intrigued but when I did more research, after checking out the photographs, reading travel journals and watching some videos, I really didn't find there is much so intriguing about this city.

To me, it is all about that Djemaa El-Fna square, where people perform shows and sell stuff, and the market place there you are likely to be ripped of heavily for things you don't really need. I know the The Medina has all those small alley ways where you can see craftsmen making stuff. And everything looks really run-down and chaotic. I am not saying it is not interesting, but one doesn't fly 10 hours just to see people making carpets. I watched quite some youtube videos and there doesn't seem to be anything that excites me that I have this "I want to be there" impulse.

Or I am missing something? Does Marrakesh live up to the hype?

I am interested in seeing the Sahara though.
Morocco really isn't a popular tourist destination for North Americans. It is too far and not as interesting as say Egypt, Turkey or Greece. If you are doing a western European trip, it is a quick diversion that offers something wildly different, but people don't usually make it the focus of their trip. If you are European, it is a short jaunt, an accessible Muslim country that has some political stability and general safety, and a lot of history and cool desert scenery. It is also a great escape from the winter cold.

I'd say the equivalent would be maybe the ruins and beaches in Guatemala or the Yucatan peninsula. Relatively cheap trip for north American, but not for Europeans.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Morocco really isn't a popular tourist destination for North Americans. It is too far and not as interesting as say Egypt, Turkey or Greece. If you are doing a western European trip, it is a quick diversion that offers something wildly different, but people don't usually make it the focus of their trip. If you are European, it is a short jaunt, an accessible Muslim country that has some political stability and general safety, and a lot of history and cool desert scenery. It is also a great escape from the winter cold.

I'd say the equivalent would be maybe the ruins and beaches in Guatemala or the Yucatan peninsula. Relatively cheap trip for north American, but not for Europeans.
thanks, you convinced me. Guess I should see more of South America if I want something different. Only been to chile and Argentina so far.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:27 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
Quote:
thanks, you convinced me. Guess I should see more of South America if I want something different. Only been to chile and Argentina so far.
Well if it is your first visit to a Muslim country, then you are pretty much guaranteed to have a different experience compared with what you get in Europe/North America, but if you have already been to say either Turkey or any Arab country than I would say pass on Morocco.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
I can appreciate the fact the Morocco is different from Europe. But I am not from Europe, and I have lived in/visited developing countries, including poor ones (such as sub-Sahara). So just being different from rich countries is not a good enough reason to travel.

My question is more about what particularly exciting to see or experience in Marrakesh. Considering it is a good 10 hour flight for me, and I don't have any budget light options (most likely cost $1000+), I expect something deeply memorable - in the good way.
Marrakesh is convenient for Europeans, not Americans or Canadians. It's convenient, though, once you're actually in Europe (i.e. a semester abroad). A single low-fare flight takes you right out of Barcelona or London and places you right in the middle of an environment that would be exotic to most Westeners.

To be honest, I do not have very good memories of the city that would not been made if a local I met and befriended on a night bus from Rissani (at the edge of the Sahara) had not invited me to his French uncle's mansion in the 'burbs.

The main highlights for me of Morocco were the people/culture and the desert with its dunes and the medina of Meknes, and the ruins of Volubilis (a Roman city located near Meknes), as well as simply being in Africa for the first time. With Morocco, as other popular North African / Middle Eastern destinations, there is a tendency for "faux guides" or "touts" who speak multiple languages fluently to proliferate around you, insistently offer you to come to their uncle's carpet shop or brother's restaurant, and do things that would cross the line into mild physical harassment in most of the West (e.g. tug at you to look at the wares they are selling). These kind of characters hardly existed in the less touristy city of Meknes, where there existed pure North African hospitality - entire families pulling out chairs and setting out tea and cookies just to greet you when you ask them something, people in random TV shops saying "Bienvenue au Maroc", kids gathering around you and inviting you to their madrassah, etc.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default I was interested in knowing too...

Quote:

The OP raised an interesting question ("Am I missing something? Does Marrakesh live up to the hype?) and in such as way, that I looked forward to reading insight from those who'd been there to learn more about this place. Unfortunately, the responders seem incapable of answering the question. Answers such as "don't go since you've already make up your mind not to", "Considering gripes you had about other places - don't go", and "go to XYZ place instead because it's better" are NON-ANSWERS to the questions.

As is "it's about as UN-European/fill-in-the-blank as you can get". The question was not asked how does it compare to another continents or culture. Last but not least, someone could only describe it as a "magical" but gave no other references nor concrete examples of what makes it magical? Hmm, so Marrakesh is an off-shoot of Disney; which is another place described as "magical" by it's tourists.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Bingo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post

Finally, an answer about this place. Excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel