Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,446 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking for conversation about travelling in the Napa and Sonoma wine regions. Can we share information about itineraries, favorite haunts, new wineries, small wineries, activities other than wineries....whatever you do to plan and execute a trip to the area?
We have been visiting for about 10 years, but I don't visit as frequently nowadays. I keep reading about new places or small ( as in miniscule) producers that you sort of "luck in to", and I would really like to hear about first-hand experiences from travelers who have been to the area and found their own 'gems', or, in the other case, 'pits' that you would never return to. It would give me some new ideas for any future visits.
Whatever you would like to share about visiting, I'd love to read it; trip reports and wine reviews welcomed as well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Default "winecountry.com outcasts/refugees"

I like Damombo's name for our group! Gang, this is the new place to share

Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
My wife and I go to Napa and Sonoma often. We don't make plans. We each have a few producers which we know we like, so we always visit them. And then we just drive up either Rt 29 or 121 and down the other.

My advice is that when you find a tasting room which you like, ask the person at the tasting room for recommendations of "must see" places. Often, they'll call some micro-producer and see if they're pouring today. "You just have to try 'Such-and-Such' vineyards!"

The prices for flights are becoming ridiculous. But I have found that a pleasant attitude still goes a very long way with the people at the tasting rooms. They're all a bunch of wine geeks -- visitors who ask intelligent questions will receive intelligent answers.

Just keep the number of tastings per day to reasonable levels -- even if someone else is driving.

And don't forget the tasting rooms in the center of Napa, particularly around the Oxbow Market area. Many excellent wines to try there, and there are nearly a dozen tasting rooms all within walking distance of each other. (And Oxbow itself is one of my favorite places in the valley.)

Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
It has been a few years, quite a few since we have done the Napa Valley scene. Our first experience was way back in the days of about 6 wineries only. We lived in Marin County, with small children and lots of friends from So. Ca that also had more kids the money. We would take visitors to the valley, do a little wine tasting (free then) and buy a bottle or two. Normally we would take a picnic lunch.

Now, 40 plus years later, there are too many wineries to list. I think the last time we did it was about 10 years ago. We just concentrated on a few of our favorites and a few new ones to us. I think now days, I prefer, when we are in CA for hit some of the wineries further south.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Thanks for joining in!!!
I agree that one of the best resources is the servers themselves. I remember that on one of our very first visits we went to Pedroncelli, on Wailing Rd., and got to talking with the tasting room manager. She ended up spending about an hour with us, and when we were finishing up she told us that there were some small places nearby that we really needed to try- Frick and Truett-Huerst are the two I remember. Then she handed us a wad of tasting coupons for other Dry Creek wineries and just said that we should say she sent us and the tastings would be on the house. We tried to find Frick's that day- just didn't go quite far enough down the dirt road..... and then went and got stuck in the muck at T-H, which turned out to be closed for a wedding. THAT was an adventure....

I think that most of the wineries in the "main" areas still have plenty of the small, down-to-earth producers around, but its harder to find them amidst the hawking of the larger houses and the scramble to "make a name" in the well-travelled regions.

And you're right, Scoop, about the ridiculousness of the tasting rooms. Can these people be serious about expecting you to make an appointment and pay a $50-$75 fee? To taste??? And adding insult to injury, they do not waive the tasting fee if you make a purchase. YIKES :O I have no problem paying 5 or 10 bucks to taste a flight; after all, these guys have expenses and overhead to consider just as in any business, but some of those fees are just ludicrous....and I guess that shows that there is plenty of egotism in the main wine areas of Northern CA.

nmnita, I don't know much about the southern CA regions, and maybe that will be a trip to consider. But I haven't had many wines from those areas that I really enjoy, either. Maybe that should be another thread, but since we're here, do you have favorites to recommend from that area?
We like most reds but aren't too fond of Pinot Noir or Petite Sirahs, and we are okay with whites, but prefer dry, crisp ones like unoaked chards or Sauv. Blancs that are in the citrussy style as opposed to the "grassy". Very fond of Rhone varietals as well.

Last edited by busydesk; 11-19-2014 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 11-19-2014, 01:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,048 times
I don't know much about the southern CA regions, and maybe that will be a trip to consider. But I haven't had many wines from those areas that I really enjoy, either. Maybe that should be another thread, but since we're here, do you have favorites to recommend from that area?
We like most reds but aren't too fond of Pinot Noir or Petite Sirahs, and we are okay with whites, but prefer dry, crisp ones like unoaked chards or Sauv. Blancs that are in the citrussy style as opposed to the "grassy". Very fond of Rhone varietals as well.[/quote]

Try the wineries near Paso Robles. Certainly not overpriced to a fault.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 AM

Can you tell me some of the names from that area that might be familiar? Bonny Doon is the only name that I know off -hand.

And I have some Napa/Sonoma wineries to ask about: Scribe, Ragusi, Ramazotti and Wattle Creek for starters...anyone know these?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
In order to answer this, it would be helpful to know if you are planning on buying or not, what your price range is, and what your appetite for tasting room fees is (ie how much are you willing to spend to taste?)

I have visited over 200 wineries in Napa and Sonoma as well as Paso Robles, and could offer a ton of info and advice, but I'm not going to spend the time typing out how to get an appointment at Lail when you don't want to spend more than $10 per person on tasting fees and consider $40 an expensive bottle. Likewise if you collect Harlan and Sreaming Eagle, there's no sense telling you about the lower priced hidden gems with a very low or no tasting fee where the average bottle runs $25.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
By the way, if you want to find wines that are just as good but represent a far greater value for the money paid, look to Washington State.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Napa isn’t about just the good grapes or bad, wine is fine but the entire area of Napa and the wonderful food being served at the restaurants are worth the time spent. While we were in Napa taking the wine train and having lunch on it was a wonderful way to have spent the time, I’d pass on the evening dinner train however. Also taking a stretched limo with a good driver who knows the wineries and the type of wines you want is very helpful. Leave the driving to him and enjoy eight or ten places during the day without worry or trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel