Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:52 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times

Advertisements

I'll be taking a long trip here on Monday for Christmas and I'm trying to plan my route. I'm actually a bit defensive when I get onto the Interstates going 80+ miles per hour. The speed limit is usually 70 here, but people go much faster (especially around the Holidays - closer to 90mph). It puts me on edge.

But I understand taking back roads (2 lane highways with an average speed limit of 55) has it's own share of possible difficulties (traffic stops, deer, incoming slower drivers who are almost impossible to pass sometimes, etc).

All in all, which do you think is safer for driving long distances? Options please.. which do you think is best and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
If I want to make time I'll run interstate. Provided where I'm going is close to or on the interstate. However, when I have the time I may take state roads. The smaller towns can slow things up. In the western states most speed limits are 60 to 65 on state highways. Interstate runs 75 and some run 80.

As long as road conditions are good, traffic is moving and maintaining a safe distance nothing wrong with those speeds. Remember to look beyond the end of the hood and down the road. Both are safe.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
I'll be taking a long trip here on Monday for Christmas and I'm trying to plan my route. I'm actually a bit defensive when I get onto the Interstates going 80+ miles per hour. The speed limit is usually 70 here, but people go much faster (especially around the Holidays - closer to 90mph). It puts me on edge.

But I understand taking back roads (2 lane highways with an average speed limit of 55) has it's own share of possible difficulties (traffic stops, deer, incoming slower drivers who are almost impossible to pass sometimes, etc).

All in all, which do you think is safer for driving long distances? Options please.. which do you think is best and why?
Actually, Interstates are safer than other roads. There are three to four times fewer accidents, three to four times less injuries from those accidents and about half the rate of fatalities from accidents.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:

I'll be taking a long trip...
All in all, which do you think is safer for driving long distances?

The one that gets you off the road the soonest
with the least number of road/traffic condition changes along the way.

If YOU are uncomfortable or feel unsafe at the higher speed of an interstate
I'll suggest that you are unsafe at the lower speeds as well.
iow... the issue isn't the road choice.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:52 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I like the back roads because they're more interesting; I find the interstates mind-numbingly boring. And I've tried books on "tape," but they tend to put me to sleep too.

When my husband and I lived in Tallahassee FL we often drove to visit his family in Savannah GA and also to visit my family in Orlando FL. Each drive is about 4 1/2 hours, but in different directions, of course.

On each trip we had the option of interstate highways or back roads, which were usually four-lane, practically empty, and went through a few interesting little towns on the way. Although the interstate trips were a little shorter, we generally opted for the back roads. Added bonus: each trip on the back roads had good barbecue restaurants to stop at for lunch along the way. No fast food crapola at interstate exits!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Having taken numerous road trips from Ontario to Florida over the years, I find absolutely nothing to worry about when travelling on the Interstate system. However, I should mention that living on the GTA along the most heavily traveled stretch of highway in North America (the 401), anywhere on an American Interstate is relaxing by comparison.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The most dangerous crash you can have is head-on, IMO. And a nice grassy median on an interstate pretty much prevents that kind of crash.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:26 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:

Highway driving is statistically safer. The speed limit on highways in my state is 65. I go 70 so that I am not an obstacle in the right lane. No one bothers me except for those who use their right mirror to pass too close or those who think that people merging onto the highway have the right of way.

As far as your speed is concerned, risk of serious injury or worse is much greater when the driver can't get their car below 40 MPH on impact.

With regard to Winter driving, people with four wheel drive and eight cylinder engines need to remember that all of that power is not going to help you stop that Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I believe freeways are safest and fastest. You don't have to navigate much/change roads.

But if you have the time, the back roads are more interesting.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:22 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Agree with the above posters.
Interstates are faster, safer, and have more assistance available to you especially if you break down. The roads are well maintained, safer to drive on as a rule. I drive across country twice a year primarily on the interstates for those reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel