Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:58 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,497 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are planning a trip to Florida this summer and will most likely be driving. The total time of the trip is about 18 hrs. I'd like to stay overnight somewhere, and would like to get more then half of the drive in the first day. That being said, SC seems like the spot to stop for the night. I'm looking for a safe town to stay in overnight, not to far off from I-95 of course that people can recommend based on recent previous experience.

Hotel recommendations are appreciated too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 11:55 AM

34,090 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
SC seems like the spot to stop for the night.
I'm looking for a safe town to stay in overnight...
Around 4PM... look at a map.
See how far you are from the next decent sized city.
Stop there.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:04 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,497 times
You know I didn't post for sarcasm, I just asked where other NYers stop on their drive to FL.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Richmond Hill, GA. The Hampton Inn there is safe and clean, right off the highway. It's about 6 hours from there to Orlando.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:25 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,848 times
Driving home to MA from FL last summer I stayed at a motel 6 in SC. What a total dump! Stay away from motel 6 no matter what. Days inn are pretty good, so is econolodge.

I use a garmin nuvi GPS and when I need to rest it tells me how far and names of motels on my route. Restaurants too. Garmins are very helpful on long trips.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
You will most likely want to drive until dinner, at least! Where in Florida are you going? It's a LOOONG state! We live in Va., and it's 12 hours to Jacksonville, Fl.....that's a great stopping point, because there's a lot to do in the evening there!

I would figure out how far you want to go...then check "Hotels.com"..that will give you a good comparison of all the hotels where you're thinking you'll stop.

When you pick one, call the hotel directly to book....do NOT use a 3rd party! Just call the hotel...and find out what the cancellation policy is...you want to be able to cancel without penalty that same day, in case you want to stop sooner, or drive farther!

Old 02-07-2015, 03:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
I suggest the site I-95 Hotels, Motels and Motor Inns | Find The Perfect Place to Stay | The I-95 Exit Guide.
That's the lodging page but the site gives much useful information.
Which motels are at which stops, gas stations, restaurants, rest areas, and the local phone numbers.
Most 95 motels understand long distance trips and allow cancellations by 6 PM.

Last edited by old_cold; 02-07-2015 at 03:39 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 06:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Any major exit around suppertime will have hotels and restaurants in abundance,just pick a quality hotel and you shouldnt have a problem, avoid the super cheap $25 a night hotels or anything under the Knights Inn banner...If you leave early Brunswick GA is a good exit to stop at.Savannah also has a sizable exit if you feel like stopping earlier.
Getting a copy of a publication called "The Next Exit" will tell you what businesses are at each exit,very handy.=
http://www.thenextexit.com/index.html

Also the site posted by old cold is an excellent resource, and even comes with a forum//

Last edited by jambo101; 02-07-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-07-2015, 07:30 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
OP needs to define 'where' in FL: it's a large, long state and getting to Orlando is not the same as rolling all the way to Naples or Miami.

I agree with other posters to do a longer drive on day one, then slide into FL on the second day with not as long a drive, and you get to your destination in daylight.

Picking a specific town or mileage area is impossible as none of know the start/end of your trip, car comfort, kids?, driving vigor, etc.

old_cold's I-95 link is a good one. When the OP gets to a general point where they want to stop, use a smart phone, check out a couple motel chain sites, book & cop a room via the phone. Easy stuff and saves pulling in and paying retail, or finding that the place is sold out.
GL, mD

Old 02-07-2015, 01:42 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
OP needs to define 'where' in FL: it's a large, long state and getting to Orlando is not the same as rolling all the way to Naples or Miami.

I agree with other posters to do a longer drive on day one, then slide into FL on the second day with not as long a drive, and you get to your destination in daylight.

Picking a specific town or mileage area is impossible as none of know the start/end of your trip, car comfort, kids?, driving vigor, etc.

old_cold's I-95 link is a good one. When the OP gets to a general point where they want to stop, use a smart phone, check out a couple motel chain sites, book & cop a room via the phone. Easy stuff and saves pulling in and paying retail, or finding that the place is sold out.
GL, mD
NY is also large .... We would do it as kids with my parents .... Out of the house at like 3am and would typically really push it through dinner .... We would usually make it from near Corning to southern GA or sometimes northern FL in day 1 ..... We would be stop excited to be "close" and then deflated when we would spend most of day 2 simply driving through FL to the keys

We typically would stay in smaller cities as it seemed the budget hotel was the norm and not a discount option in a discount part of town ..... Many years ago, but typically econo lodge

If you have a smart phone let it be your guide .... Gas buddy, yelp and trip advisor do my family well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel