Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:56 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times

Advertisements

Last road trip I did was in '92, from Wisconsin to California & back. Other than that, the longer trips I take are to our place up north, it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive. It's annoying but only because I've driven it so much & the entire time I just want to GET there already. I like road trips though, the kind where you do have a destination but because you've never driven it before it's interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I told a friend at work last week: "If you ever hear of me taking another long car trip, I give you orders to send me to a Psych Ward!"

Is it my age? 64? I just can't do it anymore!

Last week, even though I said I would never do it again, I drove from Las Vegas to Tucson and back, and on returning, halfway back, I was tempted to abandon my car, and call for a helicopter! Oh the torture, and the unending boredom!
Yeah, just fly or take a train. I don't even own a car. Of course I'm pretty low income right now, such that I couldn't afford a car, and I don't even know how to drive (never learned in high school, not a required course). But even if that weren't the case...how annoying. Just fly or take the train or bus.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:00 PM

685 posts, read 720,895 times
Quote:
I told a friend at work last week: "If you ever hear of me taking another long car trip, I give you orders to send me to a Psych Ward!"

Last week, even though I said I would never do it again, I drove from Las Vegas to Tucson and back, and on returning, halfway back, I was tempted to abandon my car, and call for a helicopter! Oh the torture, and the unending boredom!

It didn't help, driving back at night, with night vision, and seeing patrol cars parked in the ditches with their lights off ready to pounce on me!

Yes, I would consider doing it again, but! 100 miles south to Laughlin, spend the night there, 120 miles south of there in Havasu, spend the night there, 100 miles to Phoenix, spend the night there, then 116 miles to Tucson, with a possible overnight stay in Casa Grande! Coming back, same routine! Now let me see, we're looking at a 10 day to 2 week trip?

How about you? What triggered it, you're saying: No more long Car Trips! Or, you broke your promise, did it again, and kicked yourself for doing it?
We're pretty close in age. I had to drive 300 miles one way to a hospital in Nashville (surgery I had isn't done locally and the hospital/doc needed to be excellent). Nashville's a straight shot from here all highway but over a mountain range (and they're an hour behind our time and that messed me up). So, I'd leave by 9 or 10 am our time and be in Nashville by @2 pm. Appts. were usually at 8 am the next morning and I'd leave straight from the hospital in a bit of a tizzy to get home before sundown (night blindness - rare in women but my sisters all have it, too). It was too much . I made about eight total trips in a little over a year and said I can't do this anymore! I even purchased a new car with lumbar support to get me through the driving (thank goodness for lumbar support) and it's still too much. Boredom didn't get me (and I can't use the radio - can't hear it) because I was focused and I'm used to it.

In 2011, I had to drive (god knows how many miles) from Asheville to VT for business. Coming home after several days of being a tornado in VT to get everything done was tortuous. I had a specific motel to stop at that doesn't have bedbugs in VA. I got a ticket (8 or 9 miles over the speed limit) coming back. I just wanted to get home... badly. That was my last trip north.

Me think it's partially age but my partner is four years older than I - your age . She's better at focusing on seeing her friends and family in NY/NJ than I. I stay home and tend to stuff here. A helicopter sounds like a great idea. Create a landing pad on our roof and go from there. That sounds good to me.

Last edited by PeaceOut001; 03-04-2015 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: clarified

Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Nope, I love long car trips...by myself

Old 03-04-2015, 04:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I did at least three 2000+ mile road trips last year. The prior year, I did three 1000 mile trips on a bus. I will choose the former.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:41 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
It's difficult to fly anymore. The seats are uncomfortable and the planes are always full. The airlines keep reducing your leg room. Last flight I was on I was against the window. Thought I was going to have an anxiety attack. It was VERY close. Driving you can stop where you want and if you get tired pull over and take a nap. Sure it takes more time but at least you have your own car to drive when you get there.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yeah. I am in my 30s and have hated road trips (mind-numbing) for over a decade.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yeah, just fly or take a train. I don't even own a car. Of course I'm pretty low income right now, such that I couldn't afford a car, and I don't even know how to drive (never learned in high school, not a required course). But even if that weren't the case...how annoying. Just fly or take the train or bus.
Unfortunately, they've stopped accepting ferrets on airplanes, as I used to fly somewhere, take my ferret with, and rent a car upon arrival somewhere. And I love taking my leash-trained ferret along, didn't want to leave me home alone for 5 days! Otherwise, I would have skipped all that torture and flown!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:

It didn't help, driving back at night, with night vision, and seeing patrol cars parked in the ditches with their lights off ready to pounce on me!

Yes, I would consider doing it again, but! 100 miles south to Laughlin, spend the night there, 120 miles south of there in Havasu, spend the night there, 100 miles to Phoenix, spend the night there, then 116 miles to Tucson, with a possible overnight stay in Casa Grande! Coming back, same routine! Now let me see, we're looking at a 10 day to 2 week trip?

How about you? What triggered it, you're saying: No more long Car Trips! Or, you broke your promise, did it again, and kicked yourself for doing it?
You chop up an eight hour road trip into five overnight stays, that's why it drives you crazy!

I've driven the 500 miles from San Diego to the Bay Area by myself numerous times, it gets a little boring for a time but nothing that a few TED Talks or Car Talks that you have taped can't help out with.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:04 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
We just got back from the top of Tennessee where we live to the Gulf Shores Pensacola area... 9 hr drive...we did it all at once going there since my anxious husband wanted to get there. ....it was a tense last hour driving through fog unfamiliar roads that had an awfully high speed limit and pitch darkness down there....on the way home we stopped 4 hrs in and got a motel...a WORLD of difference. ..we even took the back road suggested on the alternate route instead of frenzied I75.....the ride home was nice...

Last edited by linda814; 03-09-2015 at 04:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel