Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:19 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,760,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
For all it's problems Jamaica is an amazing place. I've yet to find anywhere that has waterfalls, forests, mountains, beautiful beaches, cliffs, all on one island in a small space you can easily visit within a short ride
I guess you've never been to Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,738,540 times
Quote:
Not sure if this is the place but I'm guessin maybe "Best In The West? is where you would get your jerk from? I love that place.

Sounds like your a beach person as well, have you found any beaches elsewhere that can compare or matchup against 7 Mile Beach in Negril?
Regarding the jerk chicken shack, it's literally a shack on the side of the road with no name and no place to sit. Just a couple of guys grilling chicken on the side of the road but it's sooooo good!

Regarding beaches, I think Florida's gulf side is prettier, either Pensacola/Destin area in the north, or Anna Maria Island / Sarasota in the south.

If islands are what you're looking for, there's Maui that has everything from black sand beach, surfing beach, waterfalls galore, a desert, volcano, to rain forest.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:01 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,800,649 times
Quote:
Not sure if this is the place but I'm guessin maybe "Best In The West? is where you would get your jerk from? I love that place.

Sounds like your a beach person as well, have you found any beaches elsewhere that can compare or matchup against 7 Mile Beach in Negril?
How about Grand Cayman's 7 Mile Beach though it seems that neither are actually 7 miles long. Al least Cayman is safer and you don't have the pushy people you see on other islands. There are enough Jamaicans there that you will can easily get your fix for Jamaicans food. One downside is that it's way more expensive there

Old 03-11-2015, 09:21 PM

580 posts, read 778,117 times
Trunk Bay in St. John. Grace Bay in Providenciales, T&C.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,107,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I guess you've never been to Hawaii.
Hawaii looks amazing, I almost wound up going there this year but didn't have a full two weeks to get away and figured a 9 hour flight and the cost wasn't worth going for a week but yes it does look amazing. Every place is inuque though, hawaii is amazing but its not jamaica to me

Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,219,634 times
All of this is so sad to hear. I guess when we went we got lucky. I went in the 90's and recall the hagglers (on the beach) and in Montego Bay along the road, but it was not nearly as bad as this. Hair braiding, buying items and that sort of thing. Robbery? Not in rooms.

I so wanted to go back to Jamaica for Ochos Rios, but will have to give this careful consideration. It is a beautiful place.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Hawaii looks amazing, I almost wound up going there this year but didn't have a full two weeks to get away and figured a 9 hour flight and the cost wasn't worth going for a week but yes it does look amazing. Every place is inuque though, hawaii is amazing but its not jamaica to me
Hawaii is expensive!!!

Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Regarding the jerk chicken shack, it's literally a shack on the side of the road with no name and no place to sit. Just a couple of guys grilling chicken on the side of the road but it's sooooo good!

Regarding beaches, I think Florida's gulf side is prettier, either Pensacola/Destin area in the north, or Anna Maria Island / Sarasota in the south.

If islands are what you're looking for, there's Maui that has everything from black sand beach, surfing beach, waterfalls galore, a desert, volcano, to rain forest.
No way US beaches are prettier than those waters in the Caribbean (particularly in Jamaica). OMG. It's such a beautiful color that you can see right through. The time I went, I did a glass bottom boat tour and was mesmerized.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,046,844 times
It's all about common sense. Why would a tourist go to downtown Mo Bay alone? That makes no sense to me. Downtown Ochi sure. Downtown Falmouth? No problem! But, Mo Bay? Really? Why? Tourists go to Mega Mart and some grocery stores on the outlying areas...but they don't go downtown. Normally the furthest they would go is Sam Sharpe Square and that's normally with a guide

I see tourists dressed to the gills while they're walking the Hip Strip and I'm sure they wonder why they're harassed. Would you walk downtown Chicago toting your MK purse, while wearing your MK watch, sunglasses and diamond/gold jewelry?? I dont' think any sane person would. And these same people get pissy when a local nicely points out that they shouldn't be dressed like that and shouldn't be exposing their wads of bills while paying for food or whatever. (happened last week in the Burger King on the strip)

As for Naples Florida...yeah, its pretty, but you still run the risk of being victim of a crime. Tourist crime is going to happen wherever there are tourists...even stateside. And it will continue to happen when people walk around in vacation mode and don't pay attention to what's going on around them, drink too much, and flash their bling and cash.

Old 03-14-2015, 02:42 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,107,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's all about common sense. Why would a tourist go to downtown Mo Bay alone? That makes no sense to me. Downtown Ochi sure. Downtown Falmouth? No problem! But, Mo Bay? Really? Why? Tourists go to Mega Mart and some grocery stores on the outlying areas...but they don't go downtown. Normally the furthest they would go is Sam Sharpe Square and that's normally with a guide

I see tourists dressed to the gills while they're walking the Hip Strip and I'm sure they wonder why they're harassed. Would you walk downtown Chicago toting your MK purse, while wearing your MK watch, sunglasses and diamond/gold jewelry?? I dont' think any sane person would. And these same people get pissy when a local nicely points out that they shouldn't be dressed like that and shouldn't be exposing their wads of bills while paying for food or whatever. (happened last week in the Burger King on the strip)

As for Naples Florida...yeah, its pretty, but you still run the risk of being victim of a crime. Tourist crime is going to happen wherever there are tourists...even stateside. And it will continue to happen when people walk around in vacation mode and don't pay attention to what's going on around them, drink too much, and flash their bling and cash.
I agree regardless of whether outside of the country or in have some common sense but yes I would carry a designer purse on Michigan avenue and not think twice about it. That said I would not go walking around englewood or pullman with that same stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel