Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:34 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,061,193 times

Advertisements

In my 'would you prefer an aisle or window' seat thread, I asked people this simple question. Just this morning, I found this article on Yahoo! and this was something that sometimes pop up into my mind when I'm on a flight. This has never happened to me, but I've heard of some crazy stories. Again, this stresses my preference for aisle seating.

Victims Endure Sexual Assault at 32,000 Feet

https://gma.yahoo.com/victims-endure...ory&soc_trk=tw

Last edited by elnina; 04-18-2015 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
Another good reason not to take drugs before flying.

That said, if they don't report it then they lose their right to complain about it. Frankly if I woke up to some guy touching me he'd be missing a pair--and half his teeth.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

That said, if they don't report it then they lose their right to complain about it. Frankly if I woke up to some guy touching me he'd be missing a pair--and half his teeth.
That is really insulting!! How dare you say someone doesn't have a right because they didn't complain. Really? She was a victim and didn't know how to react at the time. Shame on you.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,975,381 times
Quote:

That said, if they don't report it then they lose their right to complain about it...
That's a disgusting attitude.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
That is really insulting!! How dare you say someone doesn't have a right because they didn't complain. Really? She was a victim and didn't know how to react at the time. Shame on you.
I realize she is a victim. But if she didn't report it then she didn't mitigate the situation and gave a predator the message that his actions were OK. How can you not know how to tell someone "stop" or report it to a flight attendant? That's something we learned as young children.

It's no different than getting a piece of food with worms in it in a restaurant and not reporting it, and then complaining about it on social media.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
This has been happening on buses and trains for a hundred years, and stage coaches before that.. It's a fact of life in a social environment where strangers are in close proximity.

"I fell alseep, I guess I was dreaming".

Old 04-16-2015, 09:31 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,801,623 times
Quote:
I realize she is a victim. But if she didn't report it then she didn't mitigate the situation and gave a predator the message that his actions were OK. How can you not know how to tell someone "stop" or report it to a flight attendant? That's something we learned as young children.

It's no different than getting a piece of food with worms in it in a restaurant and not reporting it, and then complaining about it on social media.
It is not the same. And it's pretty obvious that you haven't been in a similar situation.

First of all, often times you don't realize how serious something was until much later. I'm sure the initial reaction is uncertainty that what happened really happened. Then you wonder if you're making a big deal out of nothing. Cultural factors could come into play which can make you wonder if you did something to make it seem that this would be something you welcomed. Then there is the fear that if you do make a scene and others don't believe you, you will now face the scorn of the other passengers.

I'm not even scratching the surface of what goes on in a persons mind when something like that happens. And those that I listed are based on what I felt when a colleague propositioned me at a conference and things I have realized about the situation years later than make me realize, years later, that it was more serious than I gave it credit for at the time.

Your attitude is the perfect example of why victims don't come forward.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
It is not the same. And it's pretty obvious that you haven't been in a similar situation.

First of all, often times you don't realize how serious something was until much later. I'm sure the initial reaction is uncertainty that what happened really happened. Then you wonder if you're making a big deal out of nothing. Cultural factors could come into play which can make you wonder if you did something to make it seem that this would be something you welcomed. Then there is the fear that if you do make a scene and others don't believe you, you will now face the scorn of the other passengers.

I'm not even scratching the surface of what goes on in a persons mind when something like that happens. And those that I listed are based on what I felt when a colleague propositioned me at a conference and things I have realized about the situation years later than make me realize, years later, that it was more serious than I gave it credit for at the time.

Your attitude is the perfect example of why victims don't come forward.
You make assumptions--as usual. I woke up on a red-eye with a man rubbing my inner thigh. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it, threatening to break every effing finger. He yelped in pain and the FA came over. I told her what was going on, I know he was detained getting off the plane. Because there were no witnesses they declined to prosecute, but he is now on a permanent no-fly list with US/AA.

More serious I had a man attack me in an elevator. By the time I was done with him I had broken his nose and probably his kneecap as well. He was taken off in handcuffs. I pressed charges. He went to jail. he had been arrested on similar charges in the past but none of the victims would cooperate so he was let go each time. Hopefully he learned his lesson after messing with me. Or was killed in jail, either is fine.

Anytime ANYONE touches you anywhere in an inappropriate manner, it is serious. Why anyone would think it wasn't is beyond me.

Last edited by annerk; 04-16-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 10:00 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,739,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think if she didn't report it right away and couldn't prove it afterwards, then it didn't happen.

It is just a matter of he said, she said. And without concrete evidence, I don't believe what she said any more than that he said. It is just words. Whether she is a "victim" is irrelevant. She has to prove she is one first.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:02 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,061,193 times
Quote:
You make assumptions--as usual. I woke up on a red-eye with a man rubbing my inner thigh. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it, threatening to break every effing finger. He yelped in pain and the FA came over. I told her what was going on, I know he was detained getting off the plane. Because there were no witnesses they declined to prosecute, but he is now on a permanent no-fly list with US/AA.

More serious I had a man attack me in an elevator. By the time I was done with him I had broken his nose and probably his kneecap as well. He was taken off in handcuffs. I pressed charges. He went to jail. he had been arrested on similar charges in the past but none of the victims would cooperate so he was let go each time. Hopefully he learned his lesson after messing with me. Or was killed in jail, either is fine.
Damn girl, you are one bad mama jama!

Not to make light of your situation, I find it appalling that you had to endure this invasion not once, but twice. I'm glad you spoke up as well as inflicted some pain on these guys. One when to jail, the other is on a no-fly list with US/AA.

You're an inspiration and all women should be empowered to feel entitled to beat a man's ass if he touches her.

On the rare time that I took a window seat - last July from LA to Detroit, it was a red eye. I sat next to a guy in his early 20s. On red eyes, I keep my overhead light on. I'm sorry, but I'm practically sleeping next to a damn stranger, a guy at that. I'm keeping the damn light on!!! This young punk had the nerve to turn my overhead light off as I had my eyes closed. I wasn't fully asleep, just, relaxing. When the light was off, I opened my eyes, turned the lights back on, and gave him 'The look' .

Needless to say, as we landed 3 hours later, the light was still on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel