Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,624 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can recommend a good phone service provider for travelers. I need a phone that will work in the US when I'm at home and also work when I go abroad. I have tracfone at home, but it hasn't worked in Poland or Puerto Rico.

Do you have a phone service that has worked for you in the US and in other countries? If so, what is it? Or would I be better off getting a SIM card phone and changing the card to use a local service provider when I travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 06:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
I have an unlocked tmobile, my plan allows free data and text in a few countries (check the tmobile site), and I just get a local SIM when in a country that does not have the free services available. I exclusively use data only when I am abroad to call and send texts, or use as normal with another SIM. Some countries have pretty good monthly deals if you shop around a little. I have been doing this for years now.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I have an unlocked iPhone and also have SIM cards for various countries that I simply top up with data/minutes as needed. It's nice to be able to tell someone your local phone number before you even arrive in a country in case they need to contact you.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:37 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,789,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
Hi all. I'm hoping someone can recommend a good phone service provider for travelers. I need a phone that will work in the US when I'm at home and also work when I go abroad. I have tracfone at home, but it hasn't worked in Poland or Puerto Rico.

Do you have a phone service that has worked for you in the US and in other countries? If so, what is it? Or would I be better off getting a SIM card phone and changing the card to use a local service provider when I travel?
Lycamobile may be a company you want to check out but generally the most important thing is having an unlocked phone that uses a SIM card that you can switch if need be

Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 PM

30,614 posts, read 18,198,614 times
While I'd like a phone while traveling, I find that some of the options available and discussed in this thread to be pricey. So I just rely on apps like Facetime, Google Chat, and What'sApp generally.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
In the past I've used an unlocked LG smartphone when I travel and purchased SIM cards (my US phone carrier was Sprint so my personal cell did not use SIM) As a result, I recently switched to T-Mobile for their free global data in over 100 countries (available in pretty much every country that I've been to more than once. Just a couple more unique destinations that I've been to where it's not available)

I have yet to use it but know people who have and it's worked out as well as you'd imagine. It's a little slow but it's free! For me traveling overseas, having data is really all I need (messaging services and google voice allow me to communicate with everyone in real time) Will leave the country in July and experience it for myself for the first time.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:11 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I have a smartphone that slots for 2 simcards which allows me to keep my American simcard in the phone while also having a local prepaid simcard inserted in the 2nd slot for making local calls in the country I wish to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel