Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:21 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
to be honest, tourist meccas are popular for a reason. People don't go to Paris and Rome only because others do, but because these places have amazing stuff to see in a relative small area, which is likely to impress you, or educate you. I don't deny there are many tourist traps but if one does good research beforehand, those can be totally avoided.

It is easy to see "I want to get off the beaten path", but chances are there is less to see, or they are located in much less convenient locations, and you are more likely to waste time and not see much. People have limited time for vacation, so they need some sort of guarantee they get to see/do what they expected within that time frame.

I am not ashamed to say the most interest city in the US to me is still NYC and the most impressive landscape is Yellowstone. They are widely popular, so what, I still enjoyed them tremendously.

Of course that doesn't mean we should limit ourselves to these destinations. Hidden gems are plenty I am sure, but that takes time to discover.
That's true. And I definitely go to the touristy places, particularly when visiting a place for the first time. Still, I'm in and out of those places and prefer to spend most of my time elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 05:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
And remember "remote" is in the eye of the beholder. To someone living in bush Alaska or the Aussie outback, it isn't "remote" to them, Chicago is.
I think "remote" in this context refers to how convenient it is to the major airports and established tourist infrastructure, not from your place of origin..

Old 08-12-2015, 08:55 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I guess what I am saying is that no matter where in the world my friends travel, everyone seems to visit and do the same things as everyone else. Some of my most well traveled friends, also appear to be the most generic as well. Aren't there people out there who love to actually get away from the tourist meccas and visit the small villages, countryside, and other hidden treasures that any city or country has to offer?
It depends on how you define "off the beaten path".

We spent two weeks last summer driving around Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, Poland and Czech Republic. We spent a lot of time in small towns and went to wineries that may never have seen Americans. It was wonderful.

We also drove around the Mendoza wine country and drove up into the Alps from Santiago. We almost always rent a car and drive "off the beaten path" since we prefer small towns to large cities.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
to be honest, tourist meccas are popular for a reason.
This is true.

Quote:
People don't go to Paris and Rome only because others do,
This is not true. Lots of people go there because that's all they have heard about.

Quote:
It is easy to see "I want to get off the beaten path", but chances are there is less to see,
That depends on what you WANT to see.

Quote:
or they are located in much less convenient locations,
This is true

Quote:
and you are more likely to waste time and not see much. People have limited time for vacation, so they need some sort of guarantee they get to see/do what they expected within that time frame.
Millions of people "waste" time in Paris, London and NY too.

Quote:
I am not ashamed to say the most interest city in the US to me is still NYC and the most impressive landscape is Yellowstone. They are widely popular, so what, I still enjoyed them tremendously.
I love Yellowstone, but I would rather visit Daniel Wyoming or Silverton Colorado than NYC.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Some people may not be adventurous...or they may simply not feel they have enough vacation time to "take a chance" on a less popular destination they know little about.

If you only had 2 weeks a year to travel (not uncommon in the US after taking out "required" time for relatives, kids, etc.) I don't know that you'd go to Antarctica or Timbuktu either!

People in different stages of life may travel differently and they may themselves change their habits with time, responsibilities or money permitting.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:07 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Well.... About 2 weeks ago, I went with my buddy up to his property in the middle of nowhere in New York. He and his dad own it, and he hasn't been up there much this year due to his dad recovering from a stroke. So as an excuse to get the f*** out of Dodge, and because he is a dear friend of mine, I offered to go with him to help cut grass, and make sure the place was in good shape. It is quite remote. Oh sure there is a small town not far away, but on top of that hill where his property is at he has no electricity, no running water, and there is no phone, or internet service. The road he is on (if you want to call it that) is basically tire tracks through the woods. Fortunately he has a 4 wheel drive truck, because we were basically off roading and had to drive through a couple of washouts (which weren't all that bad). When we made the turn to go up the hill the road was paved, and then the second road became a dirt road. Soon after he says "wait a minute, I have to find my road" and when he turns it literally looked like he was turning into the woods! I was like "are you f***n' kidding me?"

As for the trip! It was an absolute blast! No stress, and not a care in the world! All your troubles just melt away! We got there late Friday night, and drank (smoked a little bud too) and hooted and hollered for several hours. Got up after 7 the next morning, went down to the little town to eat breakfast at the little diner (great breakfast BTW)and also tried to go to the bathroom since there is no running water, we did not want to have to go dig a hole in the woods should nature call. No luck on that, and fortunately no holes were dug over the course of the weekend so a win-win I suppose. After breakfast we went back up to cut the grass and only stopped after the lawnmower took a crap! After that we assembled his new target stand. Next we walked down his "road" in which there are others who own property up there, mostly for hunting, or to occasionally get away, and reached where the "road" goes into a portion of one of the State Forests. So peaceful, and quiet. I can't even explain it! After the walk we got the guns out and started shooting, ending it with a blast from his .16 gauge shotgun! From there it was beer o clock, and time to make a fire, in which we proceeded to drink, eat like kings, went down to the bottom of the hill for a beer run and to try to go to the bathroom (again no dice) came back up, drank more beer, BSed, and went to bed around 10:30! It may have been the first time that I slept the whole night in years without waking up! Friday night was another story. I couldn't sleep, and had to go out to pee at least 3 times, in which the 3rd time I heard the birds chirping. All in all that first night, being so wired from the trip, I probably got 3 hours of sleep, but did not feel tired. Sunday, we were up by 7:30 and on the road back to Ohio by 8AM.

Yeah to many the following that you just read may be like "yeah so... it sounds boring." Let me tell you though, for me the trip couldn't have come at a better time. It reinvigorated me, and was such a spiritual cleansing of my soul like I haven't felt in a long time! This Friday at the crack of dawn we are going BACK up there this time with my son and his son (and his dog of course). Our plans this time are cutting wood, weed wacking to get rid of more tall weeds, digging a hole for a future outhouse (which will avoid going into town or having to dig a hole in the woods not to mention my wife would consider going), walking down to the river that butts up against his property (didn't see that last time), another walk down to the State Forest, more shooting, more beer drinking, and more eating like kings. Oh, and my son is going to get to learn how to shoot for the first time. Again, this place doesn't sound like much, and to most people they'd probably go crazy, as it is truly off of the beaten path! But, I plan on going up again at the end of September beginning of October to help him winterize it, and plan on at least 2 or 3 trips next year. It is well worth it.

And finally, hopefully with this next trip, the only hole we'll need to dig is the one that we are starting to dig for the future outhouse.

God! I can't wait until Friday.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:34 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Normally when I go back to Maine it is to Eastport which is two hours east of Bar Harbor and it's not the Maine you see in the post cards.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:00 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well.... About 2 weeks ago, I went with my buddy up to his property in the middle of nowhere in New York. He and his dad own it, and he hasn't been up there much this year due to his dad recovering from a stroke. So as an excuse to get the f*** out of Dodge, and because he is a dear friend of mine, I offered to go with him to help cut grass, and make sure the place was in good shape. It is quite remote. Oh sure there is a small town not far away, but on top of that hill where his property is at he has no electricity, no running water, and there is no phone, or internet service. The road he is on (if you want to call it that) is basically tire tracks through the woods. Fortunately he has a 4 wheel drive truck, because we were basically off roading and had to drive through a couple of washouts (which weren't all that bad). When we made the turn to go up the hill the road was paved, and then the second road became a dirt road. Soon after he says "wait a minute, I have to find my road" and when he turns it literally looked like he was turning into the woods! I was like "are you f***n' kidding me?"

As for the trip! It was an absolute blast! No stress, and not a care in the world! All your troubles just melt away! We got there late Friday night, and drank (smoked a little bud too) and hooted and hollered for several hours. Got up after 7 the next morning, went down to the little town to eat breakfast at the little diner (great breakfast BTW)and also tried to go to the bathroom since there is no running water, we did not want to have to go dig a hole in the woods should nature call. No luck on that, and fortunately no holes were dug over the course of the weekend so a win-win I suppose. After breakfast we went back up to cut the grass and only stopped after the lawnmower took a crap! After that we assembled his new target stand. Next we walked down his "road" in which there are others who own property up there, mostly for hunting, or to occasionally get away, and reached where the "road" goes into a portion of one of the State Forests. So peaceful, and quiet. I can't even explain it! After the walk we got the guns out and started shooting, ending it with a blast from his .16 gauge shotgun! From there it was beer o clock, and time to make a fire, in which we proceeded to drink, eat like kings, went down to the bottom of the hill for a beer run and to try to go to the bathroom (again no dice) came back up, drank more beer, BSed, and went to bed around 10:30! It may have been the first time that I slept the whole night in years without waking up! Friday night was another story. I couldn't sleep, and had to go out to pee at least 3 times, in which the 3rd time I heard the birds chirping. All in all that first night, being so wired from the trip, I probably got 3 hours of sleep, but did not feel tired. Sunday, we were up by 7:30 and on the road back to Ohio by 8AM.

Yeah to many the following that you just read may be like "yeah so... it sounds boring." Let me tell you though, for me the trip couldn't have come at a better time. It reinvigorated me, and was such a spiritual cleansing of my soul like I haven't felt in a long time! This Friday at the crack of dawn we are going BACK up there this time with my son and his son (and his dog of course). Our plans this time are cutting wood, weed wacking to get rid of more tall weeds, digging a hole for a future outhouse (which will avoid going into town or having to dig a hole in the woods not to mention my wife would consider going), walking down to the river that butts up against his property (didn't see that last time), another walk down to the State Forest, more shooting, more beer drinking, and more eating like kings. Oh, and my son is going to get to learn how to shoot for the first time. Again, this place doesn't sound like much, and to most people they'd probably go crazy, as it is truly off of the beaten path! But, I plan on going up again at the end of September beginning of October to help him winterize it, and plan on at least 2 or 3 trips next year. It is well worth it.

And finally, hopefully with this next trip, the only hole we'll need to dig is the one that we are starting to dig for the future outhouse.

God! I can't wait until Friday.
Except for the shooting guns, I think it sounds great. My family has a house in the north woods & it's my favorite place to be. Very peaceful, on the water, in the woods. It's not totally secluded like your story, we have neighbors across the street. I'd love a place in the middle of nowhere w/no one around for miles. That's my idea of awesome. Especially accompanied with a fireplace, drinks & smokes (of the herbal variety as well of course ).

Old 08-13-2015, 11:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Except for the shooting guns, I think it sounds great. My family has a house in the north woods & it's my favorite place to be. Very peaceful, on the water, in the woods. It's not totally secluded like your story, we have neighbors across the street. I'd love a place in the middle of nowhere w/no one around for miles. That's my idea of awesome. Especially accompanied with a fireplace, drinks & smokes (of the herbal variety as well of course ).

Different strokes for different folks, but my friend is an ex-military guy, and has a CCW, and is all business when it comes to gun safety. We're in good hands. Guns don't scare me. I grew up around them in my house. In fact, I'm looking to obtain some "home protection" for myself at some point. OTOH...it is the person that could be behind the gun. A law abiding citizen like my buddy, or a law abiding, peace loving person like myself who will only resort to violence as a last result, and out defense of myself or my family is not the type of person I worry about. Besides we were only shooting targets which isn't a bad thing in keeping your skills sharp and insuring proper technique. Don't knock it until you try it. My wife had no interest in wanting to learn how to shoot until recently. In fact she is jealous that our son will get to learn before she will. However; my buddy has promised to take us to the range around here at some point later in the year.

As for where the property is located. Oh there are "neighbors." Most of those who own property like I said own for the sake of using it to go hunting, or a weekend getaway from time to time, and they for the most part live in the state not more than an hour or 2 away. There is only 1 guy who lives there year round, and is further down the hill. He does have electricity, running water, a phone and internet. But his dwelling is a shanty that is absolutely typical of Appalachia. Nice guy, but a little off for sure. Other than when we went into town, he was the only one we saw up there. And as far as critters go, other than bugs like yellow jackets, a couple of giant yellow hornets, dear flies, horse flies, mosquitoes...ect... we didn't see one critter other than toads, and a glimpse of a deer off in the woods. No raccoons, skunks, snakes, squirrels, chipmunks, bears.... NOTHING! I guess the fact that the noise from us, between walking in the woods, cutting grass, shooting, and the campfire is what kept them away.

Man... I can't wait! We are going to tear it up this weekend! I'm sitting here at work counting down the hours! Leaving bright and early tomorrow! I expect to go up there one more time to help him close it down, and then at least 2 or 3 trips next year! Hopefully at some point my wife will join us! Once she gets her health issues worked out that is.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

:
Congratulations! Sounds wonderful! Especially the herbs and the guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel