Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:58 PM

7,785 posts, read 6,404,338 times

Advertisements

I never turn on the radio because there is never anything that I like. When we lived in Arizona there was one station about 90 miles away that I listened to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 09:59 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,285,621 times
I guess this is the place.

You can turn your phone on in Green Bank, W.Va., but you won’t get a trace of a signal. If you hit scan on your car’s radio, it’ll cycle through the dial endlessly, never pausing on a station. This remote mountainous town is inside the U.S. National Radio Quiet Zone, a 13,000–square-mile area where most types of electromagnetic radiation on the radio spectrum (which includes radio and TV broadcasts, Wi-Fi networks, cell signals, Bluetooth, and the signals used by virtually every other wireless device) are banned to minimize disturbance around the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, home to the world’s largest steerable radio telescope.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:13 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,091,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've driven through spots where there's nothing on the car radio but I can't remember where. West of the Mississippi.

There's a short stretch in SE MN/NE IA I drive through to visit a friend which has only reception for one station. It's unprofessional voices singing unfamiliar old-timey church hymns. Sounds like it's been recorded by amateurs. Suspect it's Amish as I've seen horses and black buggies on that road.
Can't be Amish. They don't use electricity or radios. Mennonites do, though, they seem like Amish but are more advanced and will use telephones, electricity and motors.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:39 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,239,989 times
Hell, there was a radio station on Antarctica, I can't imagine a place where there isn't some sort of station. I've been coast to coast as well on the CONUS, and no where was there a dry spell. . . perhaps things we didn't want to listen to, but stations nonetheless.

I'd love to delve deep into the Amazon though, but even then, I'm sure there's chatter of some kind.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,411,930 times
I believe that would have to be somewhere in New Mexico.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How many of you have been to a place SO remote that the entire radio dial has NOTHING, I mean, literally NOTHING? I have been to lots of semi-remote places between cities, but there always seems to be something, either due to a small city nearby, or one of the big high powers from 100 miles away. I have never been to a place with NO radio or TV at all.

Would the Canadian Arctic work maybe? An uninhabited remote island?
If you are looking for a place with no radio or tv reception wouldnt just turning your radio or tv off achieve the desired results?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:23 AM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times
If one has internet access then one can get streaming radio and tv programs in this day & age!

Old 02-08-2016, 05:35 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,930,436 times
That's a tough one Everywhere I have been I could pick up AM stations and certainly shortwave as these tend to bounce all over. There was a time when I was on a vacation in a rural area in upstate NY as a kid. I could not receive any FM stations, but AM was certainly available. I remember listening to Howard Stern that day.

I'm sure there are pretty remote parts of the world where radio coverage is difficult, but I have not been to any such place.

Car radios that are built today aren't as good as the older ones that had great sensitivity. I had one in my house, and with a wire antenna received AM stations from across the country.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,610,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I guess this is the place.

You can turn your phone on in Green Bank, W.Va., but you won’t get a trace of a signal. If you hit scan on your car’s radio, it’ll cycle through the dial endlessly, never pausing on a station. This remote mountainous town is inside the U.S. National Radio Quiet Zone, a 13,000–square-mile area where most types of electromagnetic radiation on the radio spectrum (which includes radio and TV broadcasts, Wi-Fi networks, cell signals, Bluetooth, and the signals used by virtually every other wireless device) are banned to minimize disturbance around the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, home to the world’s largest steerable radio telescope.
Thanks - I'll have to remember this one!

Old 02-08-2016, 07:08 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,305,824 times
There's a stretch of road in central VA that is in the mountains and has no radio reception for AM/FM stations. And no GPS signal either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel