Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:31 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times

Advertisements

How many of you have been to a place SO remote that the entire radio dial has NOTHING, I mean, literally NOTHING? I have been to lots of semi-remote places between cities, but there always seems to be something, either due to a small city nearby, or one of the big high powers from 100 miles away. I have never been to a place with NO radio or TV at all.

Would the Canadian Arctic work maybe? An uninhabited remote island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 03:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,665 times
Even in the most remote of places, shortwave radio stations are still accessible.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Assuming just AM and FM; I have traveled through parts of the US where I got no signal, at least when I was searching and my auto finder did not pick up on anything except noise, but I would not know now days, I never listen to the radio, just my playlist on my phone.

I am trying to recall where I was traveling, I will have to think to remember.

Difficult to say because most of the time traveling it has been CDs, MP3, or tapes, I have never been much of a OTA radio listener. I have been to some remote areas, but even then there is someone with an HF transceiver around (in Russia at least).

Old 02-07-2016, 03:24 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,597 times
Oh there's radio stations, but there might as well not be one. Del Rio TX. All the radio stations are Mexican mariachi, norteño nonsense and how to take advantage of the American government typical border town broadcast propaganda. One station on this side plays English language pop music, to appease you with the fallacy you technically still live in your own Country.

I've spent a lot of money for radio coverage via XM over the years Have done so for now 10 years. Living here, surprisingly an expense I actually don't feel wasteful about. That satellite radio unit is like my "Wilson volleyball" from Cast Away...my last remaining illusion I live in a first world country, while my eyeballs disprove it otherwise.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:52 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
There are lots of places in remote areas of Canada where conventional radio stations don't have very good reception.

It actually depends upon the weather, too. On a very clear night where there are no overcast conditions for a large area, radio reception will be better. I remember as a kid in New Brunswick being able to go up and down the radio dial on clear nights and get stations from as far away as New York. I've hear that in Nova Scotia, radio stations from the southern states could be picked up. If you were using "rabbit ears" to get television reception, only 2 stations could be picked up (one of them being the national broadcaster, the CBC).

Nowadays, there's satellite access that's possible. For the most part, if there aren't any land telephone lines, you won't have much luck with internet access. Or television access. And you won't pick up many radio stations. Forget cell phone reception.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:46 PM

168 posts, read 165,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Even in the most remote of places, shortwave radio stations are still accessible.
Yes. I was in a remote place. Shortwave is how I learned about 9/11. I'll concede, though, that I first thought it was a BBC drama (like War of the Worlds).

Old 02-07-2016, 06:04 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times
Some of the places I lived in Alaska had no radio or TV stations. However even there often at night I could latch onto a radio station whose signal skipped in from 1,000's of miles away.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,436 times
During the daytime, I've driven places where I could pick up no AM or FM radio signal. I think that was somewhere in west Texas. Night time is a different story. For some reason, radio signals can travel farther at night, especially AM.
I guess those with satellite radio no longer have the problem.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:06 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
During the daytime, I've driven places where I could pick up no AM or FM radio signal. I think that was somewhere in west Texas. Night time is a different story. For some reason, radio signals can travel farther at night, especially AM.
I guess those with satellite radio no longer have the problem.
We went from I-20 to I-10 to I-8 and somewhere between West Texas and San Diego was an area so isolated that we could only get one station and the language was Spanish. They had pretty music. We also passed through a town that made the hair raise up on the back of our necks. Creepy. We were hungry but did not stop.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:37 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
I've driven through spots where there's nothing on the car radio but I can't remember where. West of the Mississippi.

There's a short stretch in SE MN/NE IA I drive through to visit a friend which has only reception for one station. It's unprofessional voices singing unfamiliar old-timey church hymns. Sounds like it's been recorded by amateurs. Suspect it's Amish as I've seen horses and black buggies on that road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel