Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 PM

504 posts, read 598,412 times

Advertisements

I have been travelling all my life (25 years) but have yet to join a Travel Rewards program (i.e. KrisFlyer, United Mileage Plus, etc). I recently opened up the Chase Sapphire Card so that I could gain points to transfer to its rewards programs. I was just wondering which program I should join? I was thinking of join one that participates in the Star Alliance (as that contains the most airlines). Also, I don't travel too often (a couple of times a year by plane) so I'm mainly looking for programs that could allow me to more affordably upgrade to business class. I mostly travel to Asia from the United States.

Any advice would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 06:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
You should really base it on what city you fly out of and the what airline serves it as a hub, as for the most part you will have one airline dominate an airport. In Atlanta obviously you want Delta, in Chicago it would be United.

But you say you don't travel often? Yes you can get points from credit cards but you still need to put some butt time on a plane to get full benefits and get to the higher frequent flyer "elite" levels that will get you upgrades. For Delta that would be in the realm of 50,000 butt miles a year for gold. Also, airlines are going to a revenue based program that gives you frequent flyer points based on how much you pay for a ticket, not how far you fly - a couple trips to Asia a year used to be enough to bump me up to Delta's plantinum medallion, now that is not the case with the cheap seats my company buys. But if like you say, you don't fly that much, I am afraid you won't get the full benefits - probably not business class on international, defenitly not on Delta (not sure how other airlines work).

The alliances work, to a certain degree, although you still feel like second class citizens as an elite flyer on a partner airlines. Many times however you seem to get different partner systems that don't talk to each other and they don't know.

In summary - every year these frequent flyer programs are devalued, and they are moving to revenue based - based on how much you spend on a ticket rather than how much you fly. Get the credit card, put it all on one airline that you use the most, and get what you can out of it - but don't expect much.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:03 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I take the cash rewards from our heaviky used credit card instead if miles. We fly coach and my ex accountant brain says we're ahead by getting cash instead if miles.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:42 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Look here: Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here! - FlyerTalk Forums

Old 02-25-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You should really base it on what city you fly out of and the what airline serves it as a hub, as for the most part you will have one airline dominate an airport. In Atlanta obviously you want Delta, in Chicago it would be United.

But you say you don't travel often? Yes you can get points from credit cards but you still need to put some butt time on a plane to get full benefits and get to the higher frequent flyer "elite" levels that will get you upgrades. For Delta that would be in the realm of 50,000 butt miles a year for gold. Also, airlines are going to a revenue based program that gives you frequent flyer points based on how much you pay for a ticket, not how far you fly - a couple trips to Asia a year used to be enough to bump me up to Delta's plantinum medallion, now that is not the case with the cheap seats my company buys. But if like you say, you don't fly that much, I am afraid you won't get the full benefits - probably not business class on international, defenitly not on Delta (not sure how other airlines work).

The alliances work, to a certain degree, although you still feel like second class citizens as an elite flyer on a partner airlines. Many times however you seem to get different partner systems that don't talk to each other and they don't know.

In summary - every year these frequent flyer programs are devalued, and they are moving to revenue based - based on how much you spend on a ticket rather than how much you fly. Get the credit card, put it all on one airline that you use the most, and get what you can out of it - but don't expect much.
How about NYC?

Old 02-25-2016, 12:25 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
How about NYC?
Well New York is served by 3 major airports in the metro area right? JFK is used as a hub for Delta and American. Really with so many choices in NY, you can probably go with any frequent flyer program and be assured of flights anywhere.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:16 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
You should join all of them and rack up the miles for whichever airline you are using. That said, if you are asking which airline you should plan to fly and transfer most of your sapphire points to, then there are only a few choices. You can do Southwest or Virgin (which wouldnt offer any alliance) or United or Singapore which are both part of Star Alliance, Korean Air which is Skyteam, or British Air which is OneWorld. Do any particular airlines stand head and shoulders above others for you and your particular destinations? All the alliances have several really good airlines to choose from for Asia. Redemption for actual flights (which you seem less interested in doing) I would say is strongest with United Airlines at the moment so that would be the route I'd go, but I don't know about just upgrades. You may (but I'm really not sure) need to have miles/points with a particular airline to upgrade on that airline's flights...which in that case would really limit you.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:57 PM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
Alaska Airlines has code share agreements with the three major alliances. There was a devaluation recently with their FF miles, but for now, it still remains a really good program for those who for whatever reason can't be loyal to just one alliance. Just be aware that you might not earn 100% of the points flown for each partnership flight, which is not ideal, but a good way to keep from having orphan points with an account in each alliance.

You don't have to actually fly Alaskan Airlines, just fly with any of their partners and credit the flights to your Mileage Plan account. You can then use the miles for any of the airlines in their partnership.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-overview.aspx

Old 02-26-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
Alaska Airlines has code share agreements with the three major alliances. There was a devaluation recently with their FF miles, but for now, it still remains a really good program for those who for whatever reason can't be loyal to just one alliance. Just be aware that you might not earn 100% of the points flown for each partnership flight, which is not ideal, but a good way to keep from having orphan points with an account in each alliance.

You don't have to actually fly Alaskan Airlines, just fly with any of their partners and credit the flights to your Mileage Plan account. You can then use the miles for any of the airlines in their partnership.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-overview.aspx
How does Alaska compare with United MileagePlus?

Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Take a good look at Singapore Krisflyer if travel to Asia is your primary goal. Since you don't fly much, you'll be earning most of your points from credit cards (both sign up bonuses and ongoing spend). Citibank Thank You points, American Express Membership Rewards points, Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints, and Chase Membership Rewards points all can be transferred to Singapore's Krisflyer program, so it has the most credit card earning options of any frequent flyer program. And Singapore Airlines is a member of Star Alliance, so you can use Krisflyer points to travel on United (as well as other Star Alliance member airlines) as well.

The biggest downside of Krisflyer is that points expire after three years after they are earned, regardless of account activity (which is not the way most frequent flyer programs currently work). So you wouldn't want to transfer any credit card points to Krisflyer until you are CERTAIN you're going to be using them in the near future to book a flight!

You also need to know that getting good use out of frequent flyer programs requires a certain amount of travel flexibility. If you have little flexibility in terms of your travel dates and origin/destination airports, frequent flyer programs may not work well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel