Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,545,870 times

Advertisements

We just made our (I'm guessing) 12th trip from Central NJ to SC. We will go from here to Naples FL on Wednesday (both legs about 11 hours with stops). A good part of both trips are on I-95. South of VA I don't see much of a problem. However the leg between NJ and Richmond sucks. Here are my pet peeves:

The Delaware toll! What are we paying? $3.00 for 10 miles of highway. I'm not happy about the Maryland toll either.

Getting around Washington. 295 stinks. Anyone have a better way?

The traffic in Northern VA!! Where the hell are these people going? Do they all work in Washington and live in Federick??? No matter when we hit it, day or night, it is always backed up!

Your comments (if you make the drive) please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
You could take 13 down instead of 95 and then cut over through Richmond up 64 to 95. If you don't like tolls, though, this obviously won't make you happy, especially the $12 Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

I was going to say to take the Auto Train from Lorton down to Sanford but that wouldn't solve your problems in NOVA. It might be better though because then you know once you get to NOVA you're done except for a little drive down from Sanford to Naples... ?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,545,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You could take 13 down instead of 95 and then cut over through Richmond up 64 to 95. If you don't like tolls, though, this obviously won't make you happy, especially the $12 Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

I was going to say to take the Auto Train from Lorton down to Sanford but that wouldn't solve your problems in NOVA. It might be better though because then you know once you get to NOVA you're done except for a little drive down from Sanford to Naples... ?
Well I like tolls better than sitting in traffic. Maybe I'll try 13 next time. We do go that way to visit our daughter in Salisbury MD.

It's not the tolls but the idea of Delaware and Maryland charging for what is offered in VA, NC, SC, GA, etc. for free....... And with much nicer rest stops.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,326,410 times
Well, I think the most valuable thing offered on the toll roads is that they're usually free of traffic! (At least 13) I don't recall ever being stuck in traffic there.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:06 PM

191 posts, read 633,036 times
I took 95 straight up 17 hours to palm coast when i moved from north jersey last week. The tolls are ridicolous and i had a budget truck so was even more but once you clear washington it's all good from there... I settled in Sarasota and am very happy!!!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Wanna talk about tolls.... When I went to MA a couple years back my Uhaul truck cost me $35 to go over the George Washington bridge..... NY is a ripoff, I thought the guy was kidding, I had to ask him 3 times if he was for real, THEN, it was $20 over the Deleware memorial bridge, another ripoff... NJ tpk was $19, but that is for 100 miles of travel. It is toll heaven from VA right up to CT...

Bnest part of the drive... Bottom of VA to GA, then you get nailed with endless road construction. Use 295 around Jacksonville....

Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 AM

326 posts, read 1,170,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We just made our (I'm guessing) 12th trip from Central NJ to SC. We will go from here to Naples FL on Wednesday (both legs about 11 hours with stops). A good part of both trips are on I-95. South of VA I don't see much of a problem. However the leg between NJ and Richmond sucks. Here are my pet peeves:

The Delaware toll! What are we paying? $3.00 for 10 miles of highway. I'm not happy about the Maryland toll either.

Getting around Washington. 295 stinks. Anyone have a better way?

The traffic in Northern VA!! Where the hell are these people going? Do they all work in Washington and live in Federick??? No matter when we hit it, day or night, it is always backed up!

Your comments (if you make the drive) please.

I had to travel that same route this summer from NJ to Punta Gorda, Fl. js an hour from your destination Naples. Unfortunetely their is no way around NJ to VA unless u take the Cheasapeak bay bridge tunnel. I felt like I should own a share of I-95 after we passed all those tolls. You spend like 12 bucks before you get out of D.C. Luckly you don't gotta drive in So.Flo. on I-95 2nd behind D.C. I-95 traffic. You are taking I-4 to cross the state in Florida right? By the way we left NJ around 9 pm so when we go to D.C. it was a ghost town.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:31 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Ughh, this issue is close to my heart. I swear, I will never make that PA-Gulf Coast drive again after this year's. My GPS took me into the heart of DC going down....the whole DC-VA segment took HOURS. On the way home, I had the directions WRITTEN DOWN to go around DC....however, the signs come up really fast, and the routes are all so similar (295, 395, 495), it was confusing....so guess where I would up? Heart of DC again....Pennsylvania Ave. Aside from the DC nightmare, I ran into a LOT of construction. If anyone wonders where the stimulus money is, make that drive. Just kidding, not trying to be political! On the way down, I took 10 across FL to 75, but that's a LONG drive. On the way back, I took 4 across FL to 95, but had to go through Orlando and Jacksonville.

Either way, I won't be doing the drive again, it is just too ungodly long, too much construction, too much traffic, and too stressful. I wish the whole route was like 95 through NC/SC/GA....which is mostly peaceful and safe.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:31 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
I usually use this route to New England (when I used to live in Naples). Adopting it for you to cross the Delaware is the tricky part, but may be worth investigating for you if you're that fed up.

I hate I-95 congestion, speed traps, etc and found this to be more stress-free and very scenic as well.

Only suggestion is to have some ideas of where you can eat or sleep off of exits in the rural appalachian areas or bring a GPS to tell you.

Take I-78 West and cross the Delaware at Bethlehem, PA. (Or cross at Trenton and make your way via roads to Reading or Harrisburg to I-78)

It will join with I-81 before Harrisburg, of which you should stay on I-81 until you hit I-75 in Knoxville.

It's a straight shot to Naples on I-75.

Even though you hit Atlanta (which can be planned), you still avoid JAX + Orlando (and the other areas you mentioned).

I'm also seeing you stay in SC, so you can also take I-77 in VA to Columbia SC, bypassing ATL altogether.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 03-07-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
I will add my two cents since we will be driving to CT April 1.In Oct 09 we used 87 & 287 etc thru to 95 south etc never again.
I will use old route I 95 to Richmond exit 62 rte 288 to I 64 Stouton I 81 to I 84 this used to be a good route but times have changed but still way better,do observe speed limit all the way,cops like to ticket.A longer rte but not a nightmare.We use to use 78 from I 81 to 287 to 87,maybe will again???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel