Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:08 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

If you're only visiting a place you can only appreciate it for the time you were there and what it is, much like a fling or a one night stand. I think living at a place for an amount of time (1-2 years) is when you make friends around the area, know the local joints, and see it more than a tourist. That's not so much traveling as it is moving around, which I actually like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 12:34 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
If you're only visiting a place you can only appreciate it for the time you were there and what it is, much like a fling or a one night stand. I think living at a place for an amount of time (1-2 years) is when you make friends around the area, know the local joints, and see it more than a tourist. That's not so much traveling as it is moving around, which I actually like.
Yes living somewhere will definitely give you a better idea of a place. It's something I've never had the opportunity to do.

I have however, still made friends, and have stayed with them. It's not living there, but it does give more of a locals perspective.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:45 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Actually South America is far more interesting architecturally than the US. North America in generally is not a particularly interesting place.

And I agree that the fact most people go to Europe to see buildings doesn't mean Europe only has buildings. Europes natural scenery is not weaker than that of US by any means.
I hate to say this, but in terms of urban planning/city building the USA is notably deficient. And not because other places have more history. Its more a matter of not really trying, because everybody is supposed to want a suburban life style.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:50 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Europes natural scenery is not weaker than that of US by any means.
This is subjective, but I find the greater diversity in natural scenery in North America far more interesting.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
I went rock climbing in Thailand & at the end was a beautiful private lagoon...

'Just buildings' though

Old 06-03-2016, 05:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I didn't say Europe doesn't have incredible nature and diversity, I said it doesn't have the scale or diversity of North America.

Look at a Koppen map, North America is far more complex in climate zones and Europe completely lacks true desert and tropical rainforest/monsoon. Scale is what it is, North America is over 5x larger with much more natural land. People can debate all day about what is more incredible since that is subjective but scale and ecodiversity are measurable.
Theres a whole world out there other than North America & Europe...

Old 06-03-2016, 07:35 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I would love to do that!
That boat cruise caused me to move to Chicago lol.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Theres a whole world out there other than North America & Europe...
Saying North America has more diverse natural beauty than Europe means I don't know there are places in the world? How did you come to that conclusion?

Not that it matters I was just trying to poke Botticelli with a stick.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:22 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsurezzzz View Post
Not all places but most/just to look at buildings?
If you think travel is about going and just looking at buildings you have a very wrong concept of it.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:16 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
As a military dependant, first as a daughter then a as an Army wife, I've travelled overseas enough. I've skied in Colorado many times, deep sea fished in Cabo three times, etc.

When I retire there are a few places in the USA I'd like to visit and stay for a couple of weeks to experience the lifestyle and area (via AIRBNB) but alas, I'm happy to be home most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel