Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 08:28 AM

306 posts, read 336,680 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in La Paz for a week on a business trip towards the end of July. I'm into nature, architecture, and cuisine. Don't care about nightlife at all. Got any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:36 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
The Salary de Uyuni was probably the most amazing part of my trip to Bolivia, but it's pretty far from La Paz. For outdoor activities, you could look into a bike ride on El Camino de la Muerte or a visit to El Valle de la Luna.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I thought OP meant La Paz in Baja Mexico and was going to recommend fishing.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:52 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Good point. The OP probably needs to be more specific

Old 06-08-2016, 09:48 AM

306 posts, read 336,680 times
Sorry, I wasn't aware that there were two well known places called La Paz. I will be in Bolivia.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
What's weird about this city, is normally the rich grab the best views of the city on hill tops, but not this city, as the rich are at the lowest altitude area of the city, down in Moon Valley, at around 11,000 feet.

Meanwhile, the poorest of the poor have the hill top views of the city from El Alto (where the Airport is), and with an altitude of 13,500 feet.

Haven't been there since 2007, but I understand they're finally building some trams from downtown La Paz up to El Alto.

And if you should suffer from altitude sickness, you can always buy some coca leaves at a grocery store, or just have some coca tea at a café. It works wonders! And be careful drinking alcohol at that high altitude, as one stiff drink may bring about a painful hangover the next day!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:02 AM

43 posts, read 48,652 times
I was there for a week last year. I'd recommend:
-Taking the cable cars to the upper hillsides (El Alto) of the city. The red or yellow lines both take you up to different spots, and you'll get an amazing view of the city. There is a great market at the top of the red line, which you could spend an hour walking through before going back down. The market is twice/week, but I can't remember the days.
-Visit Plaza Mayor and people watch.
-Abseil down a building: Yes it's safe! You get dressed up in a costume (I did Superman), and then walk down the face of a 14-story building. It's across from Plaza Mayor so hundreds of people will be watching you make a fool of yourself! https://www.lapazlife.com/places/get...ush-in-la-paz/
-Wander the streets around Plaza Mayor and visit all the markets. This is a city of markets...one street sells just light bulbs, another sells plumbing supplies, etc. There's even a witches market that sells all kinds of strange items. You'll know your there when you see the dried animal fetus' hanging from the stalls.
-Eat at the market right next to Plaza Mayor. There are hundreds of stalls in a large building, each one being a tiny restaurant run by a family. You can get a huge meal for $2-3. The food isn't great (beef, potatoes and more potatoes), but it's fun to sit down and eat with the locals.
-Take a day and ride the "Death Road" on a bike. There are tons of companies that arrange this. It's a fun mountain bike ride where you start in the snow-capped mountains, and end up 1000's of feet below in a jungle-like environment. And then they bus you bake to La Paz.
-If you have an extra few days you can make a side trip to Lake Titicaca, or if you want to really challenge yourself you could get a guide and climb Huayna Potosi. It's a 20,000', non-technical mountain near the city. Lots of beginners do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel