Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
To put a positive spin on it, U.S. brands often have an image of being basically popular, accessible, affordable, and a reflection of "democratic" tastes. They have a casual vibe. Levi's, Coca Cola, and even fast food places... those are recognized around the world.

It's true that they're not high-end like the classic product brands associated with Switzerland, France, Germany, or Italy. But that's kind of the appeal U.S. brands have for a lot of people worldwide. They like the "wild west" rebel image.

I would say that you are right about that U.S. brands are basically popular and accessible. But they are surely among the most UNaffordable brands.
Coca-Cola is extremely expensive. McDonalds, Burger King or KFC are basically the most expensive fast food options. Domino's pizza seems to be the most expensive pizza place (with the exception of fancy gourmet pizza restaurants). I guess Starbucks is the most expensive "café". Oreo cookies are insanely expensive. Same for Häagen Dazs or Ben Jerry's ice cream.
American companies seem to demand premiums. Because they make a lot of advertising for their products and they expect much higher profit margins.

I don't understand what you mean with ""democratic" tastes"? Because the U.S. is a democratic country? Maybe people in dictatorships will taste this "democratic" taste. In Europe the U.S. is mostly seen as a country where the democracy has quite a few deficiencies. The U.S. has also not a "rebel image". More a conservative or adapted image. But that depends mostly on the age and experience of the observer.

When people go to McDonalds or KFC or when they eat Pringles chips, they absolutely don't care about the origin of these companies / products. No one goes to McDonalds, because it's American. It's just another fast food option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I don't believe KFC represents US culture. There are a lot of decent food America has to to offer - Maine lobster, Alaska king crab, Texas BBQ, New York Cheesecake, New England chowder, Buffalo wings, just to name a few.
I was talking in a more general sense. There are many international US chains operating in places you would least expect it. There is a Hooter's in Shanghai. There is a huge Apple store near the Bund.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:40 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
They would not be there unless there was a demand - KFC and McDonalds are everywhere because, globally, the citizens love it (in Cairo a local taxi-driver joked that KFC stands for "Kentucky Fried Camel"), and I've seen it - doesn't matter where I go in the world - they are packed with locals. Part of it is just the convenience of fast food, but it's also the same thing with everything to do with the US - fashion, other American retailers, American TV and movies, American gizmos.

It's not a big deal however - the world embraces US culture while at the same time condemning the US. That's just the way the world works - it's not a social or political thing and it need no deep intellectual socio-economic introspective dialog -, but its simply a human nature thing - pick on the top guy on the block while at the same time emulating what they do.

It has nothing to do that people embrace American culture. That is a misconception that many Americans have. Fast food is basically not an American invention. Fast food is probably a few thousand years old. People don't like McDonalds better or worse than a bakery, a kepab shop, a pizza place or a French fries stand. It's just another fast food option. All these different fast food options coexist.
Why Americans shop at Aldi or Ikea? Because they embrace German or Swedish culture? That's ridiculous. It's just an enrichment of the retail landscape.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I was astonished to see how popular KFC is in Japan. Years ago, some genius convinced the Japanese masses that the typical American Christmas dinner is fried chicken. Now you have to put your order in weeks in advance or they won't have your bucket waiting for you on Christmas Day.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:17 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
I wonder if the people who say America has a negative image abroad have ever been abroad and see how Americans are treated in foreign countries.

Asians and Europeans think very highly of America and Americans, it's an extremely popular country and its people are some of the most welcomed tourists almost everywhere. Lots of people would try to talk to Americans because they are genuinely interested in the States.

Of course there are also haters here and there (though most of them are just bitter and jealous) and Americans get some bad rap about how they are more 'ignorant' or their foreign policy, the former is utter bull**** and the latter has nothing to deal with average Americans (and it's not like other countries are rocking their international relations), but overall America has one of the best national images out of all nation states.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
My wife and I have started traveling abroad now that we have the time and can finally afford it. In all places-Rome, Barcelona, Edinburg,, Rio, Nice, London- I see McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks, etc., and I feel like these American fast food places are polluting the local environment. I admit, here at home I frequent these places (well, not KFC). However, when I came to an intersection in one of these cities and there was an American fast food joint on all four corners I was sickened by how trashy they seemed . Perhaps it's just the garish signage and logos that they have, mixed in with the local architecture, but it really seems to cheapen the image of what America has to offer. I have no problem with American clothing retailers, etc (although some are, themselves, derived from foreign business or names like Armani or Cardin, or even Polo or Macy's). Is our US image largely based on fast food? Or is this just an idiosyncratic reaction by one person?
It's not quite clear from your post, but Armani and Cardin are not US businesses. They are Italian and French brands that have become global giants with strong presence in the US.

And I would say yes, this is an idiosyncratic reaction (but one that I bet others share, as well). I think it's off-base and here's why: just like within the US, the landscape of commerce is undergoing changes across the globe. "Old Europe" isn't just architecture, museums, and traditional food and goods--it is also one of the world's centers of international commerce. A lot of Americans romanticize foreign countries, especially countries with more recorded history than we have. But those places continue to grow and change in response to similar technological and commercial forces that are at work in the United States. So McDonald's and Starbucks invest in European cities and towns--and they find ways to appeal to locals, who are usually the dominant clientele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I wonder if the people who say America has a negative image abroad have ever been abroad and see how Americans are treated in foreign countries.

Asians and Europeans think very highly of America and Americans, it's an extremely popular country and its people are some of the most welcomed tourists almost everywhere. Lots of people would try to talk to Americans because they are genuinely interested in the States.

Of course there are also haters here and there (though most of them are just bitter and jealous) and Americans get some bad rap about how they are more 'ignorant' or their foreign policy, the former is utter bull**** and the latter has nothing to deal with average Americans (and it's not like other countries are rocking their international relations), but overall America has one of the best national images out of all nation states.
I both agree and disagree with this take. I think it's unusual for people in other countries to categorically dislike Americans (also unusual to see Americans categorically liked--except for merchants who depend on tourism to support their families).

A lot of people in foreign countries have strong (and often justified) disagreement with US foreign policy. These people are not "haters," they just have a point of view. But those people typically realize that individual Americans, too, can disagree with US foreign policy and are not responsible for it. Just like they realize that they are not individually in control of their own foreign policy.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:58 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
A lot of people in foreign countries have strong (and often justified) disagreement with US foreign policy. These people are not "haters," they just have a point of view. But those people typically realize that individual Americans, too, can disagree with US foreign policy and are not responsible for it. Just like they realize that they are not individually in control of their own foreign policy.
I distinctly remember the first time I spent time with the "locals" in Vancouver, Canada.

I went up to spend time with a guy I had been speaking with online. The second night I was there, we went over to his curling club. While he was curling, I stayed up in the bar. By the time he was done, about 2 hours later, I was sitting at a table, surrounded by 6 or 8 Canadians, who literally couldn't wait to speak to me about US politics. I had the distinct feeling that night that I was the one representing 350 million people. Talk about being on the defensive...

I certainly didn't view them as "haters" (and still don't)- but I do think that the stereotypes are alive and well and are extremely hard to overcome.

Even 10 years later, I am told on occasion "well, you're pretty cool for an American".

The vision of the US being the "wild west" is alive and well, even 30 miles from the border.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I both agree and disagree with this take. I think it's unusual for people in other countries to categorically dislike Americans (also unusual to see Americans categorically liked--except for merchants who depend on tourism to support their families).

When I travel with my American friend in Europe, the locals got excited when they learned that she's from Texas. Granted, it's just one case, but it is definitely true that America is a very popular country worldwide, and lots of foreigners are more than happy to visit, study, or to work there. It's one of those countries which people would want to know more about.

And by haters I mean those who hate America because of political indoctrination or history, like lots of Chinese, Russians, Iranians etc. Disagreeing with American foreign policy does not make one a hater.

Besides lots of countries around the world have very similar foreign policy as the American one. Dozens of countries were in the colation against Iraq in 2003, such as Denmark, the Netherlands, Japan, Korea, even tiny little Iceland and Singapore; Australia, Poland, and the UK even sent troops, yet they never got criticised, at least not as much. Of course they didn't contribute to the war crimes like America did, but they are in absolutely no position of bashing America's aggression either. And no, being forced into coalition is not an argument as one of America's closest friends and allies - Canada - did not get involved in this crap.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I was astonished to see how popular KFC is in Japan. Years ago, some genius convinced the Japanese masses that the typical American Christmas dinner is fried chicken. Now you have to put your order in weeks in advance or they won't have your bucket waiting for you on Christmas Day.
KFC is so populer in Japan, so much so that Japan Airlines serves KFC on their flights, I kid you not!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I would say that you are right about that U.S. brands are basically popular and accessible. But they are surely among the most UNaffordable brands.
American companies seem to demand premiums. Because they make a lot of advertising for their products and they expect much higher profit margins.
Two words: Franchise Fee.

It's insanely expensive to open a US franchise restaurant overseas, even McDonalds. This is why when in foreign countries, American fast food chains are among the most expensive fast food restaurants out there. Although labor is cheaper overseas (especially in undeveloped countries), they still have to charge premium to make up for the expensive franchise fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel