Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
I feel like these American fast food places are polluting the local environment.
Do NOT go to Egypt...

The Sphinx gazes across the distance of time to look at a KFC/Pizza Hut.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9753.../data=!3m1!1e3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 03:33 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
South Africa too.
Well I wouldn't call South Africa a major country, but I guess that depends on your opinion on what is a major country.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I would say that, overall, Americans are viewed as overweight, uncultured, with an over-developed sense of entitlement.

I share you're sense of dismay.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:05 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
but it's an enrichment for the food options. As an American, and even if I wouldn't like these chains, I would be a little bit proud to find these American brands all over the world.
Um, what? They enrich the local food options in the same way a turd enriches a diamond store. Like, not at all. There's only one good thing about these fast food places and that is they're open on Sundays and other odd hours, which makes it convenient to find a washroom.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
South Africa too.
Starbucks recently opened up its first store in South Africa and the big crowds there seem to have enough staying power that the company is speeding up its national expansion plans there.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post

I don't understand what you mean with ""democratic" tastes"? Because the U.S. is a democratic country? Maybe people in dictatorships will taste this "democratic" taste. In Europe the U.S. is mostly seen as a country where the democracy has quite a few deficiencies. The U.S. has also not a "rebel image". More a conservative or adapted image. But that depends mostly on the age and experience of the observer.

When people go to McDonalds or KFC or when they eat Pringles chips, they absolutely don't care about the origin of these companies / products. No one goes to McDonalds, because it's American. It's just another fast food option.
By "democratic" I mean in the broadest sense of the word. Not in the political sense. That is to say, people vote with their wallets. So the well-known American brands are simply just popular, and therefore successful worldwide.

Whether or not McDonalds or KFC or Coca Cola is expensive depends upon the country and the disposable income of the local residents. In Paris it's not too bad, but for an average person in a developing country, yes, it would be pricey.

The OP seems to be wishing that the U.S. was more well-known for luxury brands, rather than Walmart or McDonalds. Like Switzerland is known for luxury watches, chocolate, banks... France is known for Chanel, Dior, fine wines... Germany is known for high-end cars, technology, appliances...

The U.S. seems to be stereotyped as the source of inexpensive, disposable consumer stuff, fairly or not.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I have to say that fast food outlets in the U.S sell the most BORING food ever. McDonalds in France sells macarons; in India, they have half-decent spicy food. The North American outlets are so boring.
I don't understand this. Eating fast food in the US you can get burgers, fries, chicken, tacos, sandwiches, etc. we have regional things in the US that they don't serve overseas just as fast food franchises have menu options that aren't available domestically.

I guess what you're saying makes sense if we look at "boring" as being whether we're using to something.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I don't understand this. Eating fast food in the US you can get burgers, fries, chicken, tacos, sandwiches, etc. we have regional things in the US that they don't serve overseas just as fast food franchises have menu options that aren't available domestically.

I guess what you're saying makes sense if we look at "boring" as being whether we're using to something.
McDonalds in France is disgusting. I don't understand the popularity of the options. They do have some local variations here... like poutine, McLobster, Angus burgers, McCafé, etc.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:02 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
We have become purveyors of death, surveillance, and mass incarceration while waving the flag of freedom and rights.

You want me to be worried about fast food restaurants? That's clearly what a lot of people want. Still too slow for me. I can microwave a burger or burrito in 50 seconds. Don't have to wash it down with corn syrup either.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
At least export In-N-Out.
In-N-Out isn't even in the majority of the US, there is no way they are going to start opening stores all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel