Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,628 times

Advertisements

I love to travel and see new and interesting things but my nights at the hotels and motels are usually just hell!

All night I lay in bed and hear BA BOOM as the neighbors door slam. Why do motels have to purchase all those loud heavy doors that make so much noise when they close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 09:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I need white noise to sleep even at home. I take a small fan that comes apart from the stand, with me when I travel. Works great for me. I don't like earplugs - I find them so irritating that they don't help me sleep. But, white noise works great.

Actually, there's probably even a cell phone app with white noise options.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:02 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
The worst for hotels with hallway noise is budget hotels in Asia, especially anywhere there might be Chinese tourists.

Their hallways are usually smooth tile which makes sound echo. Chinese tourists couldn't care less if it is 5:00 am or 11:00 pm, if they want to yell to their homies staying down the hall or stand in the hall having really loud conversations then that is what they're going to do.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:25 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Interested View Post
I love to travel and see new and interesting things but my nights at the hotels and motels are usually just hell!

All night I lay in bed and hear BA BOOM as the neighbors door slam. Why do motels have to purchase all those loud heavy doors that make so much noise when they close?
I can answer that. It is because of fire code regulations. Doors are required to be thick and withstand a certain amount of time in the path of a fire without burning through. And thick, heavy doors tend to make a noise when they close.

I am not a light sleeper so it doesn't bother me, but it's a common complaint in the hospitality industry.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Even at high end hotels I've noticed this. I am always courteous when closing the door, and I ease it into the closed position. With my job I frequently have to leave the hotel very early, ie 4am. Yet I cannot tell you how many thousands of times over the years I have been awoken by people letting the doors slam at all hours. Complete disregard for others that may be sleeping. I want to jump out and yell 'hey *******, you just woke up the pilot of the airplane you're flying on tomorrow for umpteenth time tonight! See you in few hours, and you're buying the coffee!"

Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 AM

578 posts, read 573,229 times
Not sure about motels, but in a hotel, take a wet towel, wring it out, and place it along the bottom of the door. It wont solve the problem but will cut down on some of the noise.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Not sure about motels, but in a hotel, take a wet towel, wring it out, and place it along the bottom of the door. It wont solve the problem but will cut down on some of the noise.
hmm, I'll give this a shot

Old 11-25-2016, 05:24 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Not sure about motels, but in a hotel, take a wet towel, wring it out, and place it along the bottom of the door.
Also a preferred method for not letting the smell of the weed you're smoking get into the hallway.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:41 PM

578 posts, read 573,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Also a preferred method for not letting the smell of the weed you're smoking get into the hallway.
Works the other way, too.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:04 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Well, common sense - always check your room location, and don't agree to a room near stairs, elevators, facing busy street or train, or entry doors. If you happen to get one, a polite talk with the front desk usually get you much nicer room, without a surcharge.
Similar situation happened to me just last weekend, and I was able to get another room that was super quiet, and had a great view.
Noisy rooms in a hotel, restaurant tables near restrooms or traffic flow, bad seats on an airplane, crappy rental cars - they exist, and must get sold too. It's up to you to speak up and ask for a better choice. Some people don't, so they get what others don't want. Don't be "them"...
However, you can't predict your room neighbors. If they are loud, you can call front desk to take care of it. If they slam the door, well... you could perhaps ask them to close them quietly, but you can't expect that everyone was taught manners.
BTW: you still can ask to be moved to another room. In most cases, if there are vacant rooms, the hotel staff would try their best to make you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel