Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Thanks all! Here is what I had in mind preliminarily. I'm ok with cramming a lot, because you only live once.
Day 1:
Arrive at around 9
Car/Bus to Golden Ring, including
-Gullfoss
-Fault Line Park (?name)
-Geysir
-Famous Soup Farm Place
-Etc.
-Night either back in Reykjavik or out there if town along way.
Day 2:
Choose Option
1. Significant Day Hike Near Town (that high waterfall? Again, can't remember)
2. Head to Landmannalauger Mountains/Geothermal stuff
3. Head to Vik Coastline/Skaftafell (Glacier Cave)
Partake in Reykjavik nightlife including the famed midnight fest thing.
Day 3:
Tour the city throughout morning/early afternoon

Flight back at 5:40
This wouldn't get us everything but as far as I know would still cover Iceland pretty thoroughly. I'd like to see Volcano flow or even erupt from safe distance mind you, but I don't think that or Northern Lights will be possible. Hot Springs wouldn't be bad either. I know there's a really massive waterfall on other side of Island I'd like to see but it's probably too far.. anything I'm missing/thoughts? I plan on booking stuff ASAP to save.
Just got back and I think that you may be trying to do too much unless you are really planning on forgoing sleep. Here is how my trip ended up going.

Arrived in Reykjavik around 5 am. By the time we picked up our luggage and rental car and got on the road, it was about 7 am. We headed towards the Blue Lagoon where we had booking for 8 am. There weren't many food options open at that hour so we ended up stopping at a gas station with a dunkin donuts to grab a quick bite to eat. We arrived at the spa a little before 8 am and left a little after noon. We then headed to Reykjavik to check into our apartment. We went out to grab some groceries and check out our surroundings. Then we went out for dinner and were back in for the night around 10 pm since the northern lights weren't active in the area and we were tired after a long day.

The next day it took a while for all of us to get ready to head out on the road and we didn't get started until about noon. We went on a tour of the golden circle. We relied on an audio tour I downloaded from Locatify SmartGuide and I would highly recommend it, they also have an audio tour that goes from the airport to Reykjavik so make sure to download that one also. We only managed to get through about half the tour before it got too dark to continue. The major sites we had time to see were Pingvelir to see rift valley between North America and Europe, the Geysir, and Guilfoss waterfalls. We also stopped along the way to take some pictures with some with some horses. We headed back to Reykjavik for dinner on the waterfront and spent the evening hopping to a couple of places for dinner, dessert, and a late night snack.

The next day we headed to the airport around noon for our 3 pm flight.

I would recommend getting a car so that you can move about at your own pace. It also worked out cost wise for our group of 5. The cost was much cheaper than having to pay for the bus to the spa, a bus to the city, then a bus tour of the golden circle, and finally a bus back to the airport.

Also keep in mind that depending on the time of year hours of daylight may be limited, while we were there sunrise didn't happen until around 10 am and sunset was around 5 or 6 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 11:34 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
My only exposure to Iceland was through The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.The place looked beautiful but imposing. Even in the movie I felt the desolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel