Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:26 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I don't think the OP s into 'Roughing it'

That is fine. Plenty of hotels for those who can afford and prefer it.

Hostels have their place and I'm glad there are a lot of them too!

Especially in very scenic areas of the world that don't allow hotels.
I don't mind a day or 2 of roughing it lol but any more than 2 days & I go crazy plus I need wifi because i need to be able to respond to clients. (I get to go on vacations but i still have to try & work remotely as much as I can on the go).

I travel internationally 1-2 times a year and domestically 2-3... depends on what my job will allow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
but... if you are a couple traveling together and not married / renting separate rooms... A hostel can make sense.
Actually a hostel usually makes more sense financially if you're alone, not two. You get two people paying individually for hostel beds you start to hit the same price range as budget guest houses where one shared room would have more space, privacy, security, and maybe your own bathroom.

Quote:
Hotels are really too sterile for a 'rich' travel experience. (Meeting interesting people and learning about the local area).
It is what you make of it, it is silly to believe that choosing to share a bunch of beds in the same room somehow makes a stay less sterile and rich.

Plenty of people check into hostels, hang with other tourists playing on their phones in the day room, head to the touristy bar at night, and sign up for the touristy excursions that the hostel runs where a dozen people with dreadlocks pile into a van to see the waterfall. Their non-sterile rich travel experience is conversations in English that are usually thinly disguised brag-fests to see who has been traveling longer or been to more countries. If the hostel serves food the menu is often dominated by pizza and chips.

Meanwhile some else might have checked into a local family run hotel where the other guests are other travelers who come from the region. Their interactions might be with the lady who runs it, and it's half gestures to get around language issues. They get tips from these locals on how to get to the same waterfalls by local bus instead of the hostel tour up the street. Their restaurant's food is cooked by grandma after she gets back from the market.

There are no absolutes on what experience is richer hotel versus hostel.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:17 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't mind a day or 2 of roughing it lol but any more than 2 days & I go crazy plus I need wifi because i need to be able to respond to clients.
The wifi is usually fine at hostels, if anything it's better than many local hotels because the younger crowd is laden with devices and expects it.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:03 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
I agree with you. I feel like having a comfy bed and a nice hotel adds more to my experience. I am not going to have fun on vacation if I get no sleep because the bed & room are crappy.

There's something just so great about crawling into a big nice comfy hotel bed at the end of the day.

But my fiancé has trouble justifying the price for a hotel when all we need is a bed.

Maybe it is b/c I am female. We also grew up very differently. I grew up very affluent while he was very poor growing up so some hostels he stayed in before meeting me were actually nicer than the bedroom he had growing up.

Also I do not ask for fancy type hotels, but I at least like to stay @ chains... Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton etc b/c I know what I'm getting... I don't need The Plaza or anything though.
What's your destination?

Unless you are going to New York City or similar, getting a decent hotel room via priceline isn't too expensive, I mean, under $100.

Even some Best Western Plus can be much better than hostels. I'd look for 3 or 2.5 star hotels on priceline(Marriott Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, etc).

Old 07-06-2017, 08:09 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
What's your destination?

Unless you are going to New York City or similar, getting a decent hotel room via priceline isn't too expensive, I mean, under $100.

Even some Best Western Plus can be much better than hostels. I'd look for 3 or 2.5 star hotels on priceline(Marriott Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, etc).
I'm talking international re: hostels. Domestically we stay @ Marriotts b/c we get a discount. The discount doesn't work internationally so he is wanting to do hostels internationally now.

Nowhere particular yet.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:31 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
I'm talking international re: hostels. Domestically we stay @ Marriotts b/c we get a discount. The discount doesn't work internationally so he is wanting to do hostels internationally now.

Nowhere particular yet.
International?

Asia is fairly cheap. Even Japan is slightly cheaper than the U.S nowadays. A decent but very small hotel room in Japan usually costs less than 100 dollars. It's ridiculously small, but the bed is comfortable, very clean bathroom, good A/C, little noise. It fits my bill when I just need a bed to sleep.

I have stayed in many SPG properties in China, great experience.

I can't speak for Europe though.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:57 AM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I can't speak for Europe though.
I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard Best Western is a solid but less-expensive chain hotel choice in many European destinations.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:02 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Me, I don't think I'd want to bother with a hostel, unless they were extremely cheap. I like having my own room and privacy. Some folks have cited cons with your stuff getting stolen, but FWIW, they do provide lockers for some of your valuables. I travel with a suitcase, and don't know if that'll fit in there. AFAIK, you do up your odds of getting thieved, but more people are not should be honest.
I don't bother with $400 "fancy deluxe hotels". For me, I too just want a place to sleep, shower, and brush teeth. If there's complimentary wifi and TV, that can be nice too if it's there if I end up getting there with 3 to 4 hours of spare time. However, more often than not, I crash at the hotel/motel as soon as I get there, wake up, and immediately check out, so I have no time to use those amenities anyways. The hotels I stay at range from $70 to $130 per night. Unless the hostels are $50 or less per night, then I'd rather pay extra for the privacy.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:12 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
There really needs to be a distinction made between YOUTH Hostels and Hostels. Big difference.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:46 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
While travelling to India, Salvation Army Hostels are popular and safe with Foreign Backpackers. One can even get a private Room on a Beach there.

India - Kovalam Red Shield Beach Resort, Kerala

India - Red Shield House - Mumbai, Maharashtra

YMCA Hostels are nice and safe too. I will be happy to stay there rather then some dodgy hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel